Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought them for $50 a head...but I have no idea if they are the Windsor SR or JR heads. How can I tell without taking them to a machine shop or measuring the valve sizes?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The main differences that I personally know if is the valve sizes, and port volumes.

Its not too difficult to measure the valve, just get a caliper and see if its a little under 2 inches, or just a hair over 2 inches.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think he is correct. For some reason I think you can get the jrs with 202 valves though. I have only seen one set of 202 ford heads. And the intake and exhaust valves were VERY close to each other due to large intake size.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I just looked at a digital photo of my Windsor Jr's... As you're looking at the head the right side will have the World Products symbol, the left side will say "Windsor" and an inch below that it says "J/R".

That's one hell of a find in a junkyard! Around here you're lucky if you can even find a 5.0L Mustang :(

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Weaseled said:
That's one hell of a find in a junkyard! Around here you're lucky if you can even find a 5.0L Mustang :(
Around here your lucky to find a 5.0 tooo... but Lately there has been quite a few. I love junkyard finds too!! I find a K&N filter, 70mm BBK/Spacer TB, motorsport dash, and mint GT seats in a 89 Mustang about 3-4 months ago.... and I only paid $25 for all of that (I was only charged for 2 seats... I had deep pockets and oversized pants on!!) :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe they are not World Producgs heads then...
THey have the dual bolt exhaust pattern, and say
WINDSOR inside the heads.

I just assumed they were WP. Any idea what these are?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
They are World heads.

They will say I-051 in the rocker area if they are Windsors Srs.
They will say I-056 if they are Windsors Jrs.

Jrs. NEVER came with a 2.02 valve.

Here is the confusing part: All of them say Windsor and only SOME of the Jrs say Jr., Just go by the I-Oxx number, that is the sure way.

(I worked at World for 4 years, before they moved)

One more way to tell: The Jrs. Have more of a kidney shaped chamber (58cc) and the Srs. are like a half circle shape(64cc).

Also, read this: http://www.worldcastings.com/tech/4pgguide.pdf

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Where in Michigan can you find a good junkyard??? Haha, theres nothing down this way by SE MI or Detroit...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!
Thanks for all the info Stang LX...Very nice...I will check in the morning.

As far as good bone yards in Michigan...Never found one!
but Iowa...is loaded with em...
I found the heads in a little place around New Vienna Iowa (near Dubuque)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
All of the junkyards around here (pardon the expression)......SUCK. You go there, looking for a part, and they won't even get off there ass and look for you. All they say is "Nope, I don't have that." Meanwhile, you see 4 or 5 Mustangs through the fence, as you are leaving.
Or, if they do have the part, they try to act like the damned part is made out of 24K gold and rape you on it when you know darn well they didn't even pay $200.00 for the whole entire car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll third that, the junkyards in SE Michigan are lame. I have been using the online junkyards. They are cheaper than the local ones, even though you have to pay shipping.

Glenn

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you guys want to find some good deals on Ford parts in junk yards you need to visit the south, most especially Alabama. Around here, everyone and everything is so pro-GM that you can walk into a junk yard, run across the rarest part Ford ever made, and buy it for peanuts because no knows anything about the value of a Ford part, or how to identify it if they did. Try that with GM parts and its a different story, they know exacty what everything is worth, how to identify it, and they are fully prepared to empty your bank account.
I bought a complete 351C 4v engine once for $100 and it even had a single plane aluminum intake on it. By comparison, a complete 400 sbc will cost you $200 and a sbc 350 about $150. 454 BBCs, if your lucky enough to find one, about $500. 460 Ford engines, can find them anywhere, anytime, for $125 complete.

·
Registered
186 Posts
90trunk said:
I'm glad you said that...It's not just me then.
dude, you have the best yard around in your back yard, Taylor Auto Salvage. Guy lets you take anything you can pull off, and sometimes you get it for nothing.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
coupe dreams said:
dude, you have the best yard around in your back yard, Taylor Auto Salvage. Guy lets you take anything you can pull off, and sometimes you get it for nothing.
Really?:eek: I had no idea. Thanks for the clue!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts