Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 gt w/ 60,000 miles that has spun a rod bearing... I found an engine out of a 99 Auto gt w/ 33,000 miles on it they want 1500 for the engine w/ shipping and a 90 day warranty. Has anyone gone this route??? are there any things i should look out for?? this seems like one of the better ways to get a new engine in my ride am i wrong?? ive got a guy that will put it in for 400 bucks so thats 1900 for a replacement engine w/ 30000 miles less than what it had before. Plus since it was on a car with an auto i figure it hasn't seen as much rpm as a manual would have. Thanks for your input guys

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
We have gone that route and it worked out fine. Found a motor with 12k on it vs the blown motor in the car with 30k. The motor fired right up and ran. The car was sold about 2 months later, but never any real issues with the replacement motor. Just swap over all the external parts and it should be fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much did you end up paying for that motor if you don't mind me asking?? Should I keep looking and try and find one with maybe less miles for 1500 or less??

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
rhughes said:
how much did you end up paying for that motor if you don't mind me asking?? Should I keep looking and try and find one with maybe less miles for 1500 or less??
the motor was around 1500 shipped same as you. Because the 99-00 are a couple of years old now, the mileage is gonna be a little higher from the junkyards. Ours was picked up begin of 2001 and the motor was 00 so the miles where less obviously. I would say 30k is gonna be a good find.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Hey man i see your in mississippi....i'd like to know where you found that motor as i am looking for one to.......... can you email me at [email protected]........ ? also do you goto lena?

·
Registered
587 Posts
i found a 00 motor for 1400+shipping and it totalled out to around 1550 so your right on tract. put it in got everything pluged in turned key and started within a few turns.

motor had ~10k on it when i got it. in july/aug something.

·
Registered
100 Posts
my 00 GT motor ran $1850 from MPS in winder. i picked it up so no shipping. est about 10K miles at the time.

turned the key and it ran fine. 30K miles later, still runs strong.
yours sounds like a deal/

·
Registered
13 Posts
salvage yard motors

I dont think you would have a problem with a used motor. We sell lots of motors and dont have very many returns or problems. My family has been in the salvage yard business for 30 yrs. As, far as price that is pretty much the going rate on the 4.6 motors. If you ever need any parts feel free to visit our website www.canddautoparts.com
Just so I dont get into any advertising problems, I am not trying to sell with this post just offering advice.
The standard used warranty is a 90 day replacement warranty with no labor coverage. Some places offer ext warranties as well. I would suggest dealing with a reputible(sp?) yard..Call around to mechanic shops and dealerships in your area and ask where they buy their parts from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts