Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got the issue and was reading about how they round the tip of the spark plug which in turn gives you more lowend power.

never heard of this.......does anyone out here do it?

·
Formerly AHD
351 Posts
HHHMMMMMMMM

I think I'll have to get the ol zzzzz's wheel out. Time to start cutting. :cool:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i find this interesting too. just incase some of you dont subscribe to MM&FF they give you an example showing an increase of almost 20ftlb of torque and 10 horespower at 2500 rpms. then it gradually declines to 0 gain at 5200 rpms. now it didnt gain any peak torque or horespower but the gains at 2500 rpms is something i could use on the street.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I think i will try this out hte next time i work on my car, i can use every little bit i can get.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey brad what do you use to cut them with? i was thinking you could just grind them down with a pedastal grinder or something

·
Registered
746 Posts
I had never heard of that before. Might be something cool to try if I have to pull plugs for anything. Maybe even a lazy afternoon "cheap upgrade". :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I changed my plugs today and cut the side electrodes on them and i can feel a better push against the seat now compared to the split-fires i had in. I'll test it at the track this weekend to see if i gained any real power from it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
STREETPOWER EFI 331 said:
Thats interesting. So anybody tried it on a mild 302/306 type combo? Real world feedback?
Its worth horsepower, I've seen it with my own eyes on the dyno. Not really something for a street car but on a track only car its worth up to 5rwhp if done right.

·
Banned
6,256 Posts
i use a pair of cutters to cut a mm or 2 off the electrode.. and a small grinder to cut the electrode in a knife shape V.... basically just grind the top so that the bottem is a sharp edge... round off the sharp points...

buy the book 1001 things you need to know about nitrous~!

i wouldnt do this on a NA car. but on nitrous motors it makes a difference

·
Registered
746 Posts
Why not on an N/A car or a street car? Only because of accelerated wear or is there some other reason?

·
Registered
61 Posts
since i was going to replace my plugs and wires anyway, i tried this yesterday. i sidegapped them like in the article Matt90GT posted, and set the gap at .055. i also replaced the motorcraft wires with FMS.
i can feel a difference. i was worried that .055 was too much for my stock ignition and coil, but it runs great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts