Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking @ this or a transgo kit......What parts do I need to purchase to do this mod....anyone have a list.....I have looked @ the website and it has me a little confused.....mine is a 98 if anyone can give me a list of things i need and part....Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
643 Posts
You don't need anything but drill bits and ATF.

·
Registered
643 Posts
He has accumulators (not valve) springs in already, he just need to leave out 2-3 spring and if he wants to kill himself during 1-2 shifts 1-2 accumulator bottom spring as well.
And Mercon V is Ford spec ATF for 4R70W, why would he use another one? :confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
yo WOT,
how do you get clear smoked headlights? ^^^^

TN
read the article again...its all there.
drill the sep plate, and decide your spring setup. get a cooler too.

mercon v makes great hair tonic

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
98VertGT:

Like the others say:

Mercon V, trans cooler (plate type is more efficient but ANY auxillary cooler is better than none), the two separator plate gaskets (about $2 each), a new filter, and MAYBE a new "bulkhead connector" (the black plastic tab/connects all the electrical bits and pieces), and some brake cleaner.

The connector is not necessary if you are careful when removing the original item. Pull it up gently and wiggle it a little at a time until it disconnects. There are three or four spots where it is "plugged in" and these are the places that you need to be careful.

Kitty litter or newspapers will help to keep drips off the garage floor. A large drain pan is needed, too. I use a rectangular plastic storage container (Rubbermaid, I think) but you can get plastic catch pans at any auto parts store.

The brake cleaner is to degrease the separator plate prior to drilling the holes. Don't get brake cleaner near your paint!!!

You will need a torque wrench calibrated in lb-in (NOT lb-ft). If the bolts of the main control are not properly torqued (to 90 lb-in), you can get an internal leak that will mess up your shifts.

That's about it. Plan on 4-8 hours total (wheels on the ground/garage clean and back again), depending on your mechanical skills.

It's a great mod. Just plan it well, take your time, and keep things clean.

Credit where credit is due department: "A-Train" wrote a couple of very detailed techy articles (with lots of pics) about the whole procedure. You can find them under the Tech Articles/Transmissions section of TCCoA.com.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have looked @ the articals......It don't show what to drill for the 98????? also I want the tranny to shift hard....so i need to remove 1-2 spring and 2-3 spring.....right....can anyone tell me what holes to drill for the 98 to shift hard.....Thanks

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Bill H said:
mercon v makes great hair tonic
LMAO!!:lol:

I can't say which holes you need to drill (I thought it was in the article????), but I can say that you should leave the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator springs out. Mine shifts firm but not hard. At WOT, she moves to the right a bit!:joy:
Best mod so far!
It'll probably take all of 9 quarts, btw.

·
Registered
137 Posts
j-mod

The 98 and up cars already had the improved piston seals in them from the factory. I haved tried the car with out the springs n the bottom of the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons and did not lile it. It would bang hard under light and mid throttle shifts. It is not very comfortable. It might be great if you race your car all the time. I left the springs in and drilled the plate. Mine is almost like stock under very light throttle but quicker shifting but under mid throttle shift it is firm and it will break traction under a full throttle shift..

·
Registered
86 Posts
cant hurt to change the filter too

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I've done them to my 00 4r70w. I went around medium on the hole sizes, 2-3 is still not hard enough so I am going to pull the spring. I do have a loose 3k stall converter. I have a 5-75 ft/lb craftsman wrench, if you do the conversions it goes down far enough to use it on the valve body.

·
Registered
46 Posts
8-9 quarts without draining the TC. You need about three more quarts if you drain the TC as well.

I'll be tackling this job as soon as I get my trans pan...I've been draggin my feet forever. It's a little easier is you spray the main control down before removal...less chance of is sliding out of your hands if you work under the car.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Correct, but you really don't need to drain the t/c. You're already draining a portion of it (1/2) when you pull the v/b. Then again, if you've got high miles, and you haven't serviced the trans yet, you may want to consider it.
Jerry did mine in about 40 mins total, on the rack and off again. I would not want to do this on my back though.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
98VertGt said:
I have looked @ the articals......It don't show what to drill for the 98????? also I want the tranny to shift hard....so i need to remove 1-2 spring and 2-3 spring.....right....can anyone tell me what holes to drill for the 98 to shift hard.....Thanks
You want the "<300 hp" or "<300 hp w/gear change". If you make the holes too big (by using the next level of hole sizes), the shifts will be overly firm and you may end up breaking something.

FWIW, I left the 2-3 bottom spring out but left the 1-2 bottom spring in place. Shifts feel almost stock at light throttle but are very quick (without being harsh) when you step on the gas!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok.....i want to drill for the 300 hp.....and remove 1-2 spring and 2-3 spring.....that's it....drill the holes and remove the 2 springs?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
98VertGt said:
ok.....i want to drill for the 300 hp.....and remove 1-2 spring and 2-3 spring.....that's it....drill the holes and remove the 2 springs?
yep

·
Registered
587 Posts
if you changing types of trans fluid, most likely from dex 3 to MerconV then crain the entire 12 qts or as much as you can. i dont think you really want to mix the two.

the drill specs are the same on the 98 as in 97 or any 4R70W trans. you can find it on the last page of the article.

ive got mine set up for the mid level and like it alot, i dont have the 1-2 lower spring but i do have the 2-3 and i kinda dont like it im going to pull it out in the spring. other than that i like it alot!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
So the '98s don't use MerconV?

If wasn't sure when they started using MerconV. Ya learn something everyday.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
'01 Steed & VicRattlehead:

The '98 GT auto uses Mercon V. I can't say what the other '98 models use(d). I am pretty sure (but I'm getting old and forgetful) that the Transmissions 101 articles state that "Mercon V is a must for any 4R70W". I'll have to check that out!

Chris

·
Registered
587 Posts
nyuk98gt said:
'01 Steed & VicRattlehead:

The '98 GT auto uses Mercon V. I can't say what the other '98 models use(d). I am pretty sure (but I'm getting old and forgetful) that the Transmissions 101 articles state that "Mercon V is a must for any 4R70W". I'll have to check that out!

Chris
yes mercon v is a must for all 4r tran's i thought that they started putting it in in 99 but mabey they did start in 98 i dunno. either way, why would you want to keep old fluid in there anyway, when your changing your motor oil, you wouldnt drain 3 qts and leave 2 in there would ya? why leave trans fluid in the trans? its probably burnt, and or not as good as fresh stuff would be.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts