Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just got of the phone with Bill kaiser form Apex Motorsports in Santa Clara. i called him cause I want to get all the parts I just bought installed. Well he asked me what kind of headers I was installing and I told him JBA. He then told me that they will not install those headers cause they are crap. According to most people I was told that these are great headers. So I asked why, and he told me that the crack and cause exhaust leaks. So I guess what I want to know from you guys is if any of you have heard of this problem? Do you think this guys is just giving me a line cause he wants to sell me FRPP headers?

Also when I asked if he could handle having my chip re programmed by Saleen. he told me that they will not deal with Saleen because of horrible customer service and even worse turnaround time.

So I am at a loss. What should I do guys? where should get all my parts installed if these guys seem so unwilling to do it?

·
Registered
868 Posts
1) Install them yourself? They're not crap, but that guy sounds to be full of it.

2) Why can't you call up Saleen yourself? You don't need someone to do it for you.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I bought a set of JBA's used from a Corraler in Missouri... actually I got 1 used and 1 new. The passenger side had cracked, and was leaking. JBA sent him a new one, no charge, and a call tag for UPS to pick up the old one. He wanted LT's anyway, so this was his chance.
I have had them on my car for about 1 month. My car had an exhaust leak on the passenger side from the get go. I havent driven it ( sounds like sh*t with the leak), but I do not think it is the header... I believe the "allegedly" re-usable exhaust gasket between the header and my X-pipe is the culprit. I have ordered a new gasket from Ford, just waiting now. I guess we'll find out when I replace it.
my point>>> JBA's are good headers, great customer service. They may have just had a bad run of headers, but they are standing behind their parts and replacing them if they are defective.

·
Registered
554 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the headers. Getting them tight however, is a different issue. We went to 12 point bolts to get them in tight. Took 2 blow gaskets to learn that lesson. However, you can create a custom tool to get to the bolts that are hard to reach by cutting a wrench in half and drilling a hole in it to pull a wire through. This solves the problem of the upper rear bolts that you can't reach if you have more than 2 fingers on the same hand.

·
Registered
868 Posts
PritchSVT97 said:
I believe the "allegedly" re-usable exhaust gasket between the header and my X-pipe is the culprit.
I had a leak there, too. The gasket isn't really reusable, since it has a lead "bead" around it that compresses when you tighten the pipes together. A new one is $7 from Ford, so I don't see why people even bother reusing the old one.

The only thing you have to watch for, at least on my model year, is the gasket has one side slightly lifted, and the other side is flat. The flat side goes against the header, the lifted side against the x/h pipe.

·
US Army Active Duty
68 Posts
APEX Motorsports does great work - as long as you buy all the parts through them. They will tell you all kinds of BS about parts from manufacturers that they don't specifically deal with. If you are willing to pay absolutely top dollar and buy only what they tell you, they will do an awesome job. Otherwise, they are nothing but attitude.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it appears that most of you guys are still backing the JBA's even with the exhaust leak. That sounds good. Another question though. If the headers do crack and are replaced by JBA, will JBA also pay for the re-install of the new headers? IMO they should since it is their part that is defective?

·
Registered
554 Posts
The warranty is only against the part if proven defective. Thats pretty standard practice with aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We stand behind our experiences, and those experiences are that JBA headers crack on many '96+ Mustangs. Trust me--we've replaced probably seven or eight sets of them. (Plus probably about ten sets of JBA 5.0 headers that oval at the collectors.) If it was just a gasket leak, we'd have replaced just the gaskets. However, when weld cracks are clearly visible in several places on each header, and there's exhaust residue coming out of the cracks, it's kind of hard not to notice what the problem is.
We sell what we do for a reason. If a part doesn't work well or doesn't meet our quality standards, we don't sell it. For that reason, we choose Ford Motorsport ceramic coated headers over the JBAs.
SSPPIITT, if you do install the JBA headers yourself, just be sure to save all your warranty paperwork. I hope you don't need it, because removing and reinstalling headers on '96+ Mustangs is a major pain.
FYI--with our FMS headers, we also use Bassani gaskets that utilize graphite sealing rings. JBA's design prevents the use of these good gaskets...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.