Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my axhaust from the cat back. I figure I will jack it up by the rear pumpkin. But where should I put the jack stands so the axel drops and allows access to the pipes? BTW, it is an 89 GT. Thanks!!

-Tom

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
I put them on the torque boxes where the LCA's attach at the front ends. Then disconnect the shocks and the quads and you'll be able to lower the rear end far enough to get the stock cat-back out in one piece on each side. If you can't get it low enough without stretching the brake flex line, then lift it a bit and put a second jack under one end. The other end will lower more when you do.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I replaced the exhaust with a dynomax super turbo cat back and a mac h pipe. I was a major pits but the car sounds great! My 89 gt has 98k on it and it still had the original exhaust on it!

-Tom

·
Registered
438 Posts
One thing I would suggest to anyone doing an exaust install is that once you have the new exaust connected and hanging. Don't tighten the clamps until you put the car back on the ground to make sure your pipes aren't hitting the tires or anything else and that they stick out the same distance that you want in the back. When I installed mine I tightened everything up while it was still on jack stands and my driver side exaust tip is a little close to the tire. Just a suggestion.

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts