Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '93 Cobra and just got a KB2200/Flowzilla that I will be installing soon.

I am considering getting the J&S and would like to hear from people who have used it.

Are you happy with it, are you glad your bought it?

How difficult to install?

Any down side?

What monitor or gauge do you recommend?

Looks like they have a dual gauge that monitors AF too http://www.jandssafeguard.com/monitors.html

Does it matter what ignition you are using? I was planning to get the Crane HI-6 for rev limiting, if I got the J&S could I stick with the stock ignition?

Thanks!

- Dan

·
Registered
816 Posts
My experience is that it works as advertised and there's no down side to using one. The J&S can be ordered with a boost retard and rev limiter so you could get by with using an inexpensive ignition like an MSD 6A. It also works with the stock ignition. I personally think it would be fine to use a Blaster coil only and the J&S.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Michael,

I only plan to run 8# initially so the primary reason for getting a new ignition would be the safety of the rev limiter.

The benefits of the J&S are appealing and if it eliminates the need for the new ignition initially then I think I will get the J&S and stick with the stock ignition for now.

What do you use in regards to a gauge or monitor for the safeguard system?

I am not sure how much their gauge costs that also indicates AF, but do you think this would be worthwhile? (it looks cool!). http://www.jandssafeguard.com/monitors.html

I appreciate the help.

- Dan

·
Registered
816 Posts
The biggest benefit of the J&S is that when adjusted properly it will prevent detonation. To me, the other things it does is secondary. I got the monitor because I wanted to know when it was pulling timing and it makes it a little easier to dial in the sensitivity. The AFR on the monitor is only as accurate as the stock O2 sensor. I've been meaning to ask John at J&S if I can hook the DIY-WB up to it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
MJ: Thanks for the kind words.

The gauge was designed for the narrow band sensors, producing voltages from 0 to 1 volt.

The A/F half of the monitor has two range scales. In the "Cruise" mode, it reads between 0.35 and 0.96 volts. In the "Power" mode, it reads between 0.81 and 0.90 volts.

The output of the wide band sensors range from 0 to 5 volts, and I think the voltage is at 2.5v at 14.7, and decreases as the mixture gets richer, which is opposite from the narrow band sensors.

There should be a fairly simple one or two op amp circuit floating around to do the conversion. Check out that company selling the DIY wideband kits from Autrailia. I think it's TechEdg or something.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: Thanks Michael,

SVT-93 said:

What do you use in regards to a gauge or monitor for the safeguard system?

I am not sure how much their gauge costs that also indicates AF, but do you think this would be worthwhile? (it looks cool!)
I've run a J&S Safe Gard on my Kenne-Bell'd GT since 1995.. Wouldn't go racing without it.. I coincedentally also run a Crane Hi-6 ignition box.. The newer Safe Gards may offer some ignition amplification, but they don't offer the multi spark, capacitive discharge of something like a Hi-6..

Below is picture of how I mounted my Safe Gard monitor... I put it in a homemade module that's normally stored in my glove box.. When I'm racing or tuning, I stick it to my windshield with its attached suction cups..That puts the Safe Gard monitor, a shift lite, and a A/F ratio monitor right in my eye site..Without taking my eyes off the road..

BTW..I turned my Safe Gards built in rev limiter, all the way up and out of the way.. I just use the limiter thats on my Hi-6.. The reason for that is because, once I set my Safe Gard I tucked it up under my dash where it can't be easily reached.. I got my sensativity set perfectly and it hasn't changed in all these years..
And I do mean I've got it set on the edge.. If the car hiccups in the least..It will start taking out timing.. But, even with a clacking, screaming blower sitting on top of the motor, it never removes timing at wide open throttle.. Providing the run is clean..

·
Registered
459 Posts
yellow95 said:
Jeff- You are one crafty mofo.:p

Gary
LOL...It helps to work in a machine shop with a really cool boss..

One time he walked in on me as I was installing my 2.95 gear set in my T5..I had the whole tranny broke down on the shop table.. And I'm pressing a bearing on a shaft when he comes in.. He said to me what he had to say..Walked out, and never mentioned the tranny or the time I was using.. I didn't have the tools to do something like that at home.. The tools and equipment on the job, has helped me a lot on my racing projects.. And will in the future too :D ..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Michael's comments above echo my thoughts on the unit. The detonation control alone makes the product almost a must have for forced induction if you're planning tuning on the edge. I'm sure this unit saved my butt a few times last year while we were searching for a tune on my Paxton powered 360 Dodge.

Unfortunately we haven't had access to some of the nice computer tuning tools you guys have(Chrysler has been very stingy), so it's been more of a hack effort. I'm sure I would have taken out a set of head gaskets on a couple of occasions last fall had it not been for the J&S. Worth every dime it cost and John really stands behind his product if you've got questions or issues.

Bob
'01 Dakota R/T
Paxton Novi 2000
[email protected] mph on street tires first time out at 4400# race weight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts