Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, went from happy to pissed in like 2 seconds. I went out to start the car a few minutes ago and it fired right up, then died. It won't idle and it won't even fire now. I am wondering if the 42#/hr injectors are too big without a chip or PMS???? Although, I dont udnerstand why it would have ran fine last night and then why it would run so ****ty today. I called a local tuning shop and he said 42's weren' too big, but I have read on here otherwise. There was some type of smoke coming out of the exhaust, and I could smell a lot of fuel. Does anyone have any opinions? Also....the plugs are kinda black, but I'm assuming that's from the larger injectors. josh

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Well if you fouled the plugs from too much fuel it would probably die. Just how black are they?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sounds like the same problem we just had. My buddy did a 331/afr185 with 42# injectors and a 9lb powerdyne. He also has a big solid roller. He went to a PMS to get it running right. This is a dumb question I know, but is you're maf meter calibrated for 42# injectors? the reason I ask is when we did his we didnt have the right meter at the time (one for 24#) and when it started it ran like crap and was smoking bad (from too much fuel). Kinda like you are describing. Once the right meter was on it ran better but we couldnt keep it from running lean. So on went a PMS and now he never has to worry about getting another tuner/chip no matter what the set up. Good luck, I know it's frustrating.
mike.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my meter is calibrated for the injectors. I had it up and running last night and it ran GREAT, other than some valve noise b/c I need to re-adjust the rockers a little bit. It didn't bog, didn't die @ stoplights...nothing. Then, all the sudden today, it's dead. It fired up about 5 minutes ago, after letting it sit for about 4hrs, then i drove it down the block, and i could hear a silght miss, and one second it would run fine, then the next it would start bucking and would die out. I didn't put the new plugs in yet, but I don't want to put new plugs in just to foul them out again. Any clue??? josh :mad:

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
whats your fuel pressure set at?

take care,
adam

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not quite sure, but it used to be set @ like 35 or 36psi from when i had my blower and 306 in there, and i haven't changed it. i turned the screw counterclockwise, hoping to drop the pressure some, but don't think that made any difference. josh

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
turning it clockwise will up the pressure

take care,
adam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts