Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mostly stock '94 cobra with the only engine related mods being the intercooled procharger, 42's, pro-m, msd, jms chip, shorty headers and off-road exhaust. At 10lbs of boost it made just over 400rwhp and 412tq with a mail order chip. The car had 60k miles on the untouched motor when the blower went on, now it has 93k miles so the blower's been on for about 23k miles.

Well I got greedy and went to 15lbs of boost and it appears I've lost the #7 piston. In fact I think it was low on compression when we dynoed it and made the 440rwhp using the chip burned for the 10lbs of boost. The car went from 119mph traps (when I first upped the boost) to only 110 to 112 mph (that's when I knew I had a problem and did the leakdown test confirming the problem).

Finances are tight right now and I'm thinking of a 331 stroker. It really doesn't make sense to go with anything but an R or Dart block does it since I'll be running the blower too? If I go with the R or Dart I will likely have to wait to save money or I can have my stock block bored .30 over and rebuilt in the next week or two.

Thanks guys for any input,

Brian

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spydermandb said:
if you can spend the money on the R block.

and what model procharger you have? any problems with it? thanks!
I have the D1-SC and have had no problems in 23k miles of hard driving. No rebuilds on the blower, no leaking seals (knock on wood). The only problem has been that the bearing in two of the idler pulley's went bad (and they were cheap to replace), but part of that I'm sure is because I use such a tight belt and they didn't let go until almost 20k miles were on them so I'm very happy with the blower kit.

·
Registered
556 Posts
it all depends on how fast you want to go. real fast(>500rwhp) get an R or Dart. if you can keep it honestly below 500rwhp by running some lower boost levels then just rebuild your motor.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
95steeda002 said:
it all depends on how fast you want to go. real fast(>500rwhp) get an R or Dart. if you can keep it honestly below 500rwhp by running some lower boost levels then just rebuild your motor.
I think it will be in the 550rwhp range when I'm done although I'm sure I could go with low boost and "de-tune" it some. How do you like your DSS engine? They're one of the engine builders I'm considering.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I know the Sportsman isn't as strong as the R or Dart but it would probably be plenty I would think. I know some Real Street racers use them and they make a lot more power than that. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input Daniel, I've considered the sportsman and have heard both good and bad about it. With an R block I wouldn't need the extra expense of a main support system which you do need with the sportsman. I think I'll just save my pennies until I can afford the R or Dart block and do it right one time. Since I'm not a patient person, it will kill me to wait, but I think that's what I'll do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
hey just some more info. My motor will be done in about a week i'm building a 331 stroker with my vortech s-trim on it. and i am using the sportsman block.Lamotta's is building it and he said there will be no problem with the block holding 550-580 rwhp on low boost.My unlce just did the same motor and blower setup but tuned his just for 117 race fuel and he has 630 rwhp with no problem.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chris lusby said:
hey just some more info. My motor will be done in about a week i'm building a 331 stroker with my vortech s-trim on it. and i am using the sportsman block.Lamotta's is building it and he said there will be no problem with the block holding 550-580 rwhp on low boost.My unlce just did the same motor and blower setup but tuned his just for 117 race fuel and he has 630 rwhp with no problem.
Cool, sounds like that motor will be stout. I'll keep researching the sportsman block and keep an open mind.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Z's Cobra said:
I think it will be in the 550rwhp range when I'm done although I'm sure I could go with low boost and "de-tune" it some. How do you like your DSS engine? They're one of the engine builders I'm considering.
ive blown 2 HG so far and the motor has held up fine.

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my Sportsman B50 block. I've had it for 2 years. When I bought it, no many knew about it, and there certainly weren't any suport systems for it yet. I dynoed at 546/471 @ 14lbs of boost on 101 octane, and left some hp on the table. I shift at 6000rpms so I'm not at all worried about my block. If I was shifting at 6500rpms it would be a different thing. I will up the anty and be making around 575-600rwhp this winter, and confident the block will take it all day long, without the support.

Troy

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
Yea if I had a support system then it would even be better. I will admit my machine shop did a top notch job. I had the motor balanced with my FRPP steel balancer and SPEC SFI aluminum flywheel so all the harmonics would be taken out. I also left this block at stock bore so that I could use it again if I chose to do so.

Troy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts