Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It can be done, has been done, and I chastised my buddy who did it, but didnt' think it was such a big deal. Dude, the Holy Grail of 94-95 vortech owners! LOL

I figured it was possible, just the way he did it, but never tried it myself because I don't have the skills... but here it is for your consumption. Requires moving the battery to the trunk.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea of the dimensions of that intercooler?
Unfortunately, I don't...but hopefully the guy who did it (you know him), will come on and share details.

Looks like he just flipped the upper intake (didn't know you could do that, but makes sense), and then cut a hole and welded on the throttle body.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought so, good idea. I'm still wondering if you can't somehome still do it without having to do that....still some time to think about it before I install mine.

Someone did a similar thing with a kenne bell, too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
LOL!!..dang!!..i need a new camera!!!.thanks Patrick!!...those pics suck!!....ok..the intercooler is 31x12x3...mounted up with no probs at all...thought i'd have to trim the bumper....and i didn't even have to touch it!!..WooHoo!!!..it's 3 inch pipe all the way out... i took the vortech, welded on a 3 inch pipe, and clocked it down toward the power pipe!!....follwed it down to the lower radiator support and 90'd it in....the out the other side with a 90 also...put the battery in the trunk and came in from the little hole area where the washer bottle was...45'd it up to the T/B and 90'd it in!!..worked out really well i think...it's a bone stock 95 GTS bottom end, stock cam and all with 129000 miles on it...AFR 165's, 1.7rr's, and the BBK SSI intake with a 75mm T/B, and 80mm MAF, 42lb inj's......made 426RWHP and 423RWTQ at only 6 lbs showing on the gauge at the intake...ant it was making power up past 6k when i let off the dyno pull....it was tuned at Mike Murrillo's shop here in San Antone....and he says there's alot more left in it...we're gonnaturn it up some more maybe next weekand shoot for 12lbs in the intake...but it drives and runs like never before..i took a Kenne-bell off because i was tired of the heating probs....but with this setup it will not even get over the "O" on the gauge now...lol......Patrick...if ya do the intercooler with both inlet and outlet on the same side it can be done...i mocked that up too...but wanted to turn the intake and be diff....so i went this route...give me a cll if ya need some ideas....oh yea..intake temps were about 10-20 degrees over outside temps...we litteraly made pulls after pulls and the temps never rose on the motor....and it jus kept making more and more power..i'll give a big thumbs up to Mike and his people...i did this as an experiment and i hang out at Mikes alot....we weren't sure what it would do....but after this i can say i'm not even dissapointed at all..

·
Registered
530 Posts
great job.

i see from the pics its possible to run a flipped intake running the piping into the drivers side fender still keeping a/c, clearing both the powersteering and fuse box.

i've been wanting to do that for a turbo setup but i'm keeping the washer reservoir still there and put the opening after it. i've seen that done.

get some better pics up soon

·
Registered
434 Posts
it's an old style V-1 and i even found a vacumm leak at the intake yesterday with the smoke machine...i messed up putting the upper intake on and messed up the gasket between the upper and lower and now we know why we weren't makin any boost!!..it's pullied for 10-12 and would only make 6 ....so the power should go up more when we get it back on the dyno and retune it ..i want up around 500RWHP and thats where i'll stop...i think 10-12 lbs in the intake will get me there...maybe even less it looks like....:)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Where did you get the intercooler, is it air to air, how much if you don;t mind me asking?

·
Registered
434 Posts
it's an A/A intercooler i got off of a store on e-bay called CXracing..was around 300.00 if i remeber correctly...lit's worked pretty good so far...

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, do you have the plans for the other set-up you mentioned with intake and output on the same side? Can you fax or e-mail it? I'll shoot my fax number if thats easier...

Then again, I just need to install it first. LOL Just got my tubing bender for the ac lines.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'd like to seriously go by and check out that setup. It would have been something nice to add, however the Cobra's just about to go up on the selling block.:crying: Anyway, congrats on the install. ALOT of people are gonna be eyeballing this thread...not to mention alot of other mustang-related forums that have been kicking around this subject for a few years.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
David

LOL. I said the same thing! Len was just like, oh, I just fabbed this up awhile ago, no biggie. He didn't even want to post it!!!

Then again, what he does for his real job..and yeah, this was a little project.

Haha! :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
well...got the vacuum leak fixed....the gasket had about a 3-4 inch tear where it flipped over when i sat it down on the lower...was across both the rear intake ports....now i'm hittin 9-10 at the intake on the gauge and it's more of a monster than it was before!!..but i have to lift because my A/F goes up to 12.8 on the top end...so i guess i'm gonna take it easy till Mikes ready to retune it up for me...this thing otta be really fun!!!.. :king:

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You didn't have any idle/running problems with a vacuum leak that big??? Keep us informed.

Only you would be 450rwhp plus and say "well, once we get it straightened out, it outta be fun!"

You crack me up!

·
Registered
434 Posts
You didn't have any idle/running problems with a vacuum leak that big??? Keep us informed.

Only you would be 450rwhp plus and say "well, once we get it straightened out, it outta be fun!"

You crack me up!

yea i did have idling probs!!!..Mike and i were pulling our hairs out...he said..dude..you got an intake leak..i said..dude...i don't think so!!..all the gaskets are new!!..boy was i WRONG !!!..he did the best he could at the time..lol..as the saying goes..you can't tune around a mechanical prob....lol..so we should get it all sorted out soon...he redid the chip sat and we got it idling like a kitten...and this is jus with guess work..not on the dyno or nothing...sitting on the floor and i pulled the chip and he played with it again..lol..drives jus like a stock car but with an alternator bearing going bad....lol..or so i've been told by people at the gas stations...lol...and Patrick..you know me...i'f the ass end ain't movin around or i'm over 200mph..i ain't havin fun yet!!!.... LOL!!..:rofl:

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dude

I just remember your statement, "If you got a 1000hp and you hit the gas, the car is going somewhere--forward, sideways, into the other lane, but its going somewhere!" LOL

:)

·
Registered
10,354 Posts
This thread is an inspiration to us all. Now I'm kinda miffed I sold my exploder upper, that thing would be perfect to flip since it doesn't have the long egr neck the fox cobra upper has and also has a removable logo plate so it isn't an upside down cobra looking at you.

I think I'm going to try this... 426rwhp on 6 lbs? That is absolutely nuts man!

·
Registered
434 Posts
ok..i finally got a camera to take a pick of the dyno sheet...tell me ya think..and we had alot of timing still out of the car!!.. and thats only 6lbs boost!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.