Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a tool which Isky apparently has, according to another couple of threads, which can cut valve recesses in pistons in the block. Has anyone used this with success? Interested in your results/experiences. I'm going to install TFS heads on my '92 with 1.7 rockers. I would like to change the cam and this is where I may need the cutter.....

·
Formerly known as racerdain
319 Posts
Yep, I bought that damn high dollar bastard....lol. It's actually a good investment if you plan to build more than one engine. The only problem I had, wasn't the tools fault, it was mine. I was using a domed piston that was intended for a small block chevy in my small ford. The dome had a slightly different angle since it was never intended to be in that motor, but I got it to work just fine. If you're cutting some stock pistons, or any flat top you should not have any problems at all. Just make sure you clean all the metal shavings up very carefully. I used a shop vac to suck them up and then brake clean and a Wyp All on the cylinders and then repeated until I was satisfied. Oh, also, make sure you ave your dowels in the block to locate the heads while you're cutting, to ensure proper relief placement. Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
12,818 Posts
Yep, worked as advertised for me as well. Used on 3 cars at last count. I actually to the piston into position, then masked it all off with masking tape. Helped to keep all those metal bits from getting everywhere. Then I shop vaced them out, and cleaned and shop vaced and cleaned - you get the picture.

·
Registered
35,890 Posts
Where in the cylinder did you guys place the piston for the cutting? Is the tool head large enough that you have to move the piston down the bore from tdc? Also, I guess if not at tdc or bdc, it's real important to lock the car in gear so that the piston can't move at all, especially if you're trying to remove very small amounts of metal precisely. Planning for the future....

·
319 Posts
I had to leave my piston a little down in the hole because of the dome problem, that combined with the fact that my valve reliefs were way out of place made it a pain. I'm not sure if you would have enough room with flat tops or not to take it to the top.

·
Registered
368 Posts
can someone tell me how much this tool cost and where you got it from?

·
Registered
12,818 Posts
Yep, had to leave the piston down as well, combined with TFS TW heads, it was a little bit of a pain.

I think summit racing carries the cutter tool.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I used it, and am going to use it again soon. You can go to Isky's site, and rent it. First, you have to buy the tool, and when you return it, they will refund most of your money. I had to leave the piston down also, and work it up very slowly(hint: get a buddy to help).

Good Luck, Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
251 Posts
There is another website that carries a tool similar to this but it isn't made by Isky. Anyone rember the name of the website?

·
319 Posts
I bought mine from Isky. It was about $210 dollars for the 2 cutters and the pilot with shipping. I just looked at thier website and it looks like the cutters are $99.00 each now and the pilot is $30.80, so they went up a little. Here's a link to the page with them. http://www.iskycams.com/category_template.php?sub_category_id=133

1 - 10 of 10 Posts