Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 5.0 with 140k miles
i have a ford racing radiator and flow kooler water pump and the car runs between 190-200 degress at idle and driving with a 180 thermo ,is this to hot?

·
Registered
984 Posts
If your reading the stock gauge don't trust it. Only true way to check is buy and hook up a water temp gauge. Bad sending unit? Another thing to check is your cooling system has pressure? BTW I miss my 93 reef blue coupe. :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
mikejb said:
If your reading the stock gauge don't trust it. Only true way to check is buy and hook up a water temp gauge. Bad sending unit? Another thing to check is your cooling system has pressure? BTW I miss my 93 reef blue coupe. :(
I agree with Mikejb. I had the same issue and it was being caused by the cooling system. It ended up being a bad radiator cap that was not allowing the cooling system to build pressure.

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
If everything was working right then it should be 180-185 with a 180 t-stat...

but to answer your first question, no that is not too hot. 195 degrees is the optimum coolant temperature that stock engines are designed to run at for the best compromise between more complete combustion and keeping the engine from detonating or overheating parts. For this reason, pistons are designed to have just the right clearance from the cylinder wall (among other part clearances), and running the engine colder than 195 allows the piston to rock in the bore slightly, increasing wear, and running hotter than 195 makes the piston too tight in the bore, increasing wear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here is another problem. as of right now i have my heater core bypassed, If i connect the heater core the car will run around 210-220 which i know is way to hot. i have a autometer temp gauge, all of these problems started to happen when i replaced my edelbrock water pump (which was leaking) with a flow kooler. but now i have a brand new ford motorsport 3 row radiator i would think the temp would drop some? and also i was planning on getting a electric fan , there are some on e-bay for $139 bucks that flow 2800cfm would that be enough?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Flow kooler? Never heard of that pump. All you need is a ford reman pump.

·
Registered
391 Posts
A better flowing pump can also hurt cooling, because the coolant doesnt stay in the radiator as long.

I have a 180 thermo. in my car and a 3 row factory replacement radiator. Right now in the winter my car will run right at 180 and with heat on it will run a little cooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts