Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People I need your thoughts on this. I have the following as of yet and wanted to make sure before I start driving the car regularly.

01 heads/intake,p&p
Mac LT's
Cranes, springs
Paxton @ 6-7 psi(probably 2-3 since the headswap)
255 in tank
42'#ers, no fmu

I don't plan on taking it to the track(yet). I 'm getting a tune week after next. I'm pretty sure of 400rw safely, when it's all said and done. Lugo wants me to get rid of my stock pulley and go to the next size down. Experienced guys give me a take on this, Thanks R

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I think you'll be fine, however, I always go overkill. You listed an intank fuel pump but do you have an inline as well? If it were me, I would take it to the tuner and see what the a/f ratio is before even considering getting into boost. Ensure you're on a wideband O2 sensor and you'll be just fine.

Congrats!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim. Dennis Lugo(tuner) suggested the smaller pulley. Probably see 6-7 max on an 8# pulley. I have a 255 in tank only. I won't put the pulley on until he sees it for sure. I think I'll bring it with me when I do go. I'm not installing the thing until then. In the meantime do you/anybody think I'll be alright? I think that the blower puts out maybe 1-3 #'s on the gauge. Man, Shannan's heads breathe very well! Thanks, R..

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, if it matters, I have 37psi(vac on) of fuel just to be safe. Pig rich, Pig rich.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I think you'll be fine. Once you get there see what you're a/f looks like. Then decide if you want the smaller pulley or not.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Aluminum said:
Also, if it matters, I have 37psi(vac on) of fuel just to be safe. Pig rich, Pig rich.
Yes that is overkill. :) You should remove the vacuum and be seeing around 40 psi of fp. With vacuum on, that is right around 30'ish... better to be safe then sorry tho :lol:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
The 255 intank will certainly support 400 RW, and Dennis Lugo has done this many times before, and he definately knows what he is doing. Should you need more fuel later on, he knows what to do.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mr. Greene. I've had Dennis do work in the past and he is an awesome mechanic/tuner. He's definately not a risk taker with a persons car. Thanks, R.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Aluminum said:
Thanks Tim. Dennis Lugo(tuner) suggested the smaller pulley. Probably see 6-7 max on an 8# pulley. I have a 255 in tank only. I won't put the pulley on until he sees it for sure. I think I'll bring it with me when I do go. I'm not installing the thing until then. In the meantime do you/anybody think I'll be alright? I think that the blower puts out maybe 1-3 #'s on the gauge. Man, Shannan's heads breathe very well! Thanks, R..
i am sure those photos of tim's car are still floating around here somewhere....:lol:

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
stroked or blown? said:

i am sure those photos of tim's car are still floating around here somewhere....:lol:
Here is a good reminder:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
1BadAzzGT said:
I think you'll be fine, however, I always go overkill. You listed an intank fuel pump but do you have an inline as well? If it were me, I would take it to the tuner and see what the a/f ratio is before even considering getting into boost. Ensure you're on a wideband O2 sensor and you'll be just fine.

Congrats!
will he? you did everything correct and still paid the price! forged shortblock is a must!

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
stroked or blown? said:

will he? you did everything correct and still paid the price! forged shortblock is a must!
stroked or blown?,

I just want to get something straight here since you obviously seem to think I don't have a clue as to why my shortblock blew up.

I'll go in great depths now for you so hopefully it will cease some myths. The shortblock blew up due to MY ignorance, not tuning or any other reason. True Blue Performance (Randy) did an outstanding job tuning my car and I couldn't ask for more. Even with timing pulled to a measily 15 degrees, we still pulled 377 rwhp / 375 rwtq out of the car and I suspected something was wrong then since it was spitting out coolant on the dyno. Turns out my suspicions(sp?) were correct and ended up being the head gasket failing (blew in 2 spots). Read through some of my posts, you'll find that I was having the coolant issue (coming out the overfill cap) well before blowing the engine ---- which means that probably the head gasket already blew and my time was borrowed.

My suspicions were correct once pulling the engine, the headgasket was blown in two spots, look at the picture carefully and you'll see it for yourself. I also suspect that the cylinder then filled with coolant and hydrolocked, it's that simple.

So was it stock parts that blew? NO! It was the head gasket that I personally replaced myself when I decided to be a pioneer and put 99 PI heads, cams, intake on this car. Did I know that I was risking alot? Yes, of course but it was a lesson well learned.

Also, I will be running a 2000 GT STOCK block again. Yep that's right ---- 100% STOCK Internals. This time I will not be running in excess of 9:1 CR, nor will I have to worry about the heads because they've never been pulled off this engine. Don't forget that with a 96/98 engine, you must have major work done to the heads to decrease the CR and yes, I did have "some" work done but obviously not enough to pull down the CR to where it should have been. I suspect I was in the neighborhood of 10.1 CR, which is extremely high for a blower motor.

So.... as you can clearly see, it wasn't the engines' fault that it blew. It was a direct reflection of someone who probably improperly put on the head gaskets or possibly the head lifted, gasket failure or whatever ...... no one will ever know.

I disagree 100% with the forged shortblock theory unless of course, you want over 10 psi of boost. It's been proven time and time again that these blocks can withstand that kind of power. Hell, there are tons of folks that have run that kind of boost on stock shortblocks for many miles and will continue to drive them for many miles. I personally ran 10 psi of boost for almost 2 years with stock 98 heads...... I agree with one thing, if you want to make major power with a blower, you need forged block but let's not forget that people do blow forged engines as well, just read some of the posts on here and you'll see it yourself. Those forged engines are not prone to failure by any means. Will they last longer? Sure, I'd imagine they could but who is to say that someone didn't party too much on the night before making that forged product and you got part of the "bad batch"? :) Anything can happen and I've found ---- will happen.

I just happen to be one of those people that like to push things to the extreme and see just "how much" it can take, and I pay for it.

I'm unsure of how my broken block got in this to begin with, just thought I'd clear a few things up because their seems to be some myths and disparities of just "why" it happened. No biggie, I'll be back up and running real soon I promise :)

-Tim

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
tim,
you have taken my comments the wrong way. i was just telling aluminum that he can do everything right and still have problems. as in your case. you spared no expense on the things that you needed to do to be safe. i have read those posts. in there i can remember you stating (and offering as advice) that a forged shortblock is a must. why the change of tune? you need not be so sensitive b/c i was not knocking you or your car.
:D

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
stroked or blown? said:
tim,
you have taken my comments the wrong way. i was just telling aluminum that he can do everything right and still have problems. as in your case. you spared no expense on the things that you needed to do to be safe. i have read those posts. in there i can remember you stating (and offering as advice) that a forged shortblock is a must. why the change of tune? you need not be so sensitive b/c i was not knocking you or your car.
:D
Perhaps a little sensitive due to some folks assuming things that just aren't true. I agree, a forged shortblock is great but I don't think it's absolutely necessary for the power level I want to be at. I also got sick and tired of people assuming that True Blue Performance was the blame of my car blowing up when that wasn't the case at all. Sorry, no pun intended and didn't mean to go postal on you ..... I just had a bad day yesterday and didn't feel like going that route ------ my sincere apologies.

You're right, I spared no expense last time around and it still blew. This time I'm much wiser and have learned tons. Hopefully I can make use of some of that knowledge and keep it together a little longer :)

Cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey, I dont feel bad, I just did it to mine. Remember, the faster you go the more it costs!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts