Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the pads in my drum brakes on my 88 lx...the drum went back on the axle with not too much effort.... Is it normal after just replacing the pads for them to be making the drum so hot they are giving off a little smoke?? (do these pad have to be broken in??) Also, i pulled my E brake and it seems like it doesn't release?? How can i get it too release? or should i just wait for the pads to wear down a bit??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
did you adjust them? i "think" you have to re-adjust them because the new ones are thicker, maybe i am wrong, i'm not much of a drum brake person, lol

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
No, that's not normal at all. Did you replace all of the hardware also (springs, star wheel adj., etc.)? You really should, because the springs wear out over time, and the adjusters freeze up. I wouldn't drive that car, because, you will burn up your new shoes and warp your drums. Replace the hardware.

Oh, just FYI, when you are talking about a drum brake system they are called "shoes" not "pads".

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
no, it is not normal to put pads in drum brakes. Maybe that is the problem.

Did you use some brake clean after you got the shoes back together on the drums? If not, you are burning off oils and dirt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts