Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at a 99 Explorer 5.0 today. Assembled, 15k miles, all running accesories minus the EEC computer. He wants $1,000 obo, is this a fair price?

Also, I believe the Explorer 5.0 has the P heads, what should I look for on the stamping to ID that they really are?

I'm either going to carb it and put it in my 65 or buy a high milage Fox and slap it in there. What would I need to do to carb this motor, just a manifold? ]

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/5755/gt40p.html
for the head identification

really all the 302 EFI motors need for carb is a manifold and carb of course. i dont know about the price realyl but to me it sounds lieka good deal. im not positive but i do think the explorers got different cams (dont quote me though) so im not sure that it would perform like a mustangs 5.0.... somebody here will know for sure though..

take care,
adam

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just bought a '96 5.0 Explorer motor complete. It has the regular GT40 heads because it's an early '96. It has 46,000 miles on it, and I paid $500 for it from a local salvage yard in Orlando. I think with your purchase, $800 seems fair with the low mileage and GT40-P heads. The cams is different, not quite as aggresive as the Mustang 5.0, but just swap it for more power. I think the valve springs are good for that setup, but the rocker covers are really tight for any type of roller rocker, and the cast aluminum oil pan will not work for a stang. The fuel rails are different and they also have a distributerless ignition. Other than that, just minor differences such as no ACT in the manifold, and a Cobra style upper intake that needs the EGR plate.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts