Ford Mustang Forums banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just an FYI as I'm a little late reading this: the part number for the Cobra Steering gear is 2R3Z-3504-AARM code SPR-ZM (and it is the correct ZM on the rack) and they are still available from Ford, retail price is $443.75 (plus $150 core) talk nice to your Ford parts guy and you could probably pick it up for $350. I work at a Ford Dealership and did install one of these in my 86 Foxbody, fit without issues and made a big difference in the way the car drove. I did learn a lesson on the MM steering shaft for this though, read the instructions and clock the shaft before you install or you will have a lot more turns to one side than the other lol. One thing with these gears though is they have to be ordered from the Ford FAD as a Motorcraft part and there are only 4 on the parts locator as of today.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
MARK, I wish you had posted this yesterday! I just got home from a trip out to pick up a used, 2001 Bullitt rack with an SJ code on it. The car only had 70K miles but the rack sure is greasy. Had I read your post first, I probably would've checked my local Ford dealer to see if they had one. I may do it anyway because it would be brand new and I wouldn't have to worry if it's worn out or has other issues. Thank you for posting the good information!

·
Registered
8,438 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tasca has them for $270 plus core....if available.

My assumption is they have them if they have a usable core.
Ford has a no fault core policy, I returned my old Foxbody core in the box and we received full credit on the core. I've taken back broken engine blocks before and issued 100% credit. I have a feeling these are new gears as the one I received was shinny aluminum, no pits, no paint.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
MARK, are you saying that you think that your steering rack is brand new and not rebuilt?

As far as cores go, I certainly don't have a Cobra core to turn in.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Jack, that makes perfect sense.

I clicked on the link that Mustang5L5 posted. I could see on the Tascaparts website that the rack was a rebuild. I called Tasca and they don't have any in stock as of today.

Today, I spent a lot of time with degreaser cleaning up the greasy mess covering my '01 Bullitt SJ rack that I purchased over the weekend. It's nice and clean now.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts