Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of working on my '91 coupe. All suspension parts are from Maximum Motorsports including the K member, FCAs, coil over conversion, torque arm, panhard bar, RCAs, full length SFCs, CC plates. I've collected all of this over the last year except I'm still waiting for the K member to be shipped since its about a month on backorder.

Anyway, I read on the MM's website that these Cobra racks are highly desireable but it sounds like they're scarce as hen's teeth. MM also says that Ford dealers sell genuine rebuilt racks. Has anyone bought one from a Ford dealer?

MM says to be wary of the big rebuilders out there since they mix and match parts and you never know what you're buying. I'm thinking that they're saying to stay away from stuff from Advance Auto, Autozone, O' Reilly, Rock Auto, etc.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Have found the supply has dried up in the last year or so. Seems the swap has become very popular.

Used to be able to find several on ebay at once. Now they pop up here and there. Even reman racks are scarce and frequently out of stock.

I bought a Cardone 22-2000 rack several years ago, and it did have the right stamp on it, and it feels pretty damn good. Is it a true rebuilt cobra rack? WHo knows, but i like it on my street driven car.

Another, cheaper, more readily available rack is the 2002-2004 GT rack. More common, cheaper to find a low-mileage used on, and probably would never notice the difference on a street driven Mustang.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mustang, thank you for your reply. I read the writeup on Maximum Motorsports' website about these racks. They are very hard to find. I'm glad your Cardone rack is working out for you.

I will probably give one of the area Ford dealership parts departments and ask about the rebuilt units that MM mentioned. If that is a dead end, then I'll probably just have to buy something like your Cardone rebuilt rack.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Have found the supply has dried up in the last year or so. Seems the swap has become very popular.

Used to be able to find several on ebay at once. Now they pop up here and there. Even reman racks are scarce and frequently out of stock.

I bought a Cardone 22-2000 rack several years ago, and it did have the right stamp on it, and it feels pretty damn good. Is it a true rebuilt cobra rack? WHo knows, but i like it on my street driven car.

Another, cheaper, more readily available rack is the 2002-2004 GT rack. More common, cheaper to find a low-mileage used on, and probably would never notice the difference on a street driven Mustang.
Seeing as cardone lists the rebuilt cobra and the gt rack as the same part number, who knows what it is.

I agree that you probably won’t notice much of a difference. Just upgrading from a fox rack you a 94+ will be an improvement.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seeing as cardone lists the rebuilt cobra and the gt rack as the same part number, who knows what it is.

I agree that you probably won’t notice much of a difference. Just upgrading from a fox rack you a 94+ will be an improvement.
96, what you wrote is pretty much what I read on the MM's website. Rebuilders mix and match parts so you never know what you're going to get. However, a 94+ rack will be a nice improvement over a Fox steering rack. At the moment, I'm thinking that I'll end up buying a rebuilt '94+ rack. I'm still going to call a Ford dealer before I pull the trigger, though.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
I see 22-238 listed for the 2004 GT/Mach (SPR-ZK) and 22-2000 listed for the 2004 Cobra (SPR-ZM).

In fact, now it appears Cardone is offering a rebuild only service on the SPR-ZM rack. This makes me feel like there is a difference between the two.

Here's the thread that convinced me to buy a 22-2000 rack. It's a little older, but i also bought my rack several years ago from Cardone and did get an SPR-ZM rack,

BTW, the limit travel that they are referring to is due to the rack limiters that come on the 03/04 cobra rack. This was due to the 275 width tires up front that year. My 22-2000 rack did come with the limiters. I actually took them off and installed fox-style limiters (which were a little smaller) since i didn't need that much restriction with my wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If one were to find a used rack to send to Cardone for converting to a 22-2000, would any 94-04 rack work or would it need to be a 99-04?

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
If one were to find a used rack to send to Cardone for converting to a 22-2000, would any 94-04 rack work or would it need to be a 99-04?
That’s a very good question that unfortunateky only Cardone can answer.

I bet a lot of people would love to know the answer to it.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Virtually no company can convert a rack from one SPR code to another. They don't have the equipment needed to machine a new spool valve.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Jack - Would using the Cordone ZM rebuild service be a good choice over other options? Are there other rebuilder options?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I got one of the SPR-ZM racks from Cardone about two years ago and it feels great. I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and the GT rack. The GT rack is pretty dang close based on me driving with both.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got one of the SPR-ZM racks from Cardone about two years ago and it feels great. I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and the GT rack. The GT rack is pretty dang close based on me driving with both.
AL, did you get this rack directly from Cardone or did you go through some other retailer seller? If a retailer, who?

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
AL, did you get this rack directly from Cardone or did you go through some other retailer seller? If a retailer, who?
A few years ago, you could buy a Cardone 22-2000 from many different retailers, some not even requiring a core charge. I got mine from a retailer on Ebay without a core for about $200ish give or take. They were pretty easy to find and plentiful

Now it seems the supply has dried up. I was helping someone on a forum about 2 months ago with the swap, and they located one on Amazon for $400! I couldn't believe the price, but I tried to find another one for sale for him and had no luck. He ended up buying that $400 rack.

My assumption is that everyone who was sending fox and regular SN95 racks back as cores has finally choked off the supply, which is evidence that there is a difference in the internal rack structure that prevents one from just swapping whatever parts they have laying around in the rack and calling it an SPR-ZM rack. Rockauto now only sells the 22-2000 as a rebuild service only. You send in your SPR-ZM rack, and they rebuild it. Personally, if I was going to do that, I would send my rack to Turn One Steering instead.

Anyway, I fired off an email to Cardone asking two questions. Pretty sure I know what the answers will be, but I want to see what they have to say.

1.) Do they still offer the 22-2000 steering rack?

2.) Does the 22-2000 rebuild service require a SPR-ZM core, or can any rack (SPR-ZK for example) be used and rebuilt to the SPR-ZM spec.

Like I said, I know what the answers will be but i'm curious to see what they say

I guess this is to be expected. Try and find a 1993 Cobra booster for sale. Those are/have dried up as well.

As others have said....grab a 2004 GT rack. It's so close it would be hard to tell the difference. I loved how my 2003 GT steered.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
BTW,

If oyu are looking for a 22-2000 to buy, it looks like Rockauto.com has a few left

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
I have no firsthand experience with Cardone. I have a significant amount of negative experience with AGR. I have a lot of very positive experience with TurnOne.

When you get a fundamentally good rack rebuilt, if the person has the correct tools, it is not really difficult to do. Disassembly. Cleaning. Replace all seals. Bearings. Grease. Add some fluid. Assembly. Test. If someone is taking their time and paying attention, this job is not difficult. However with a race to the bottom in terms of cost for any service industry, you get what you pay for. If the service is cheap, so is the quality of the work.

If you have a possibly damaged or unknown rack, that is going to require someone really experienced and/or someone who has the correct equipment to properly test the rack after assembly. That would be TurnOne.

What Mike 5L5 said.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
BTW, cardones reply to me was “lacking”. Not worth reposting.

They did say the 22-2000 is still available though

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Just ordered one from Rock Auto. We shall see how it goes.
I'll be pulling my Flaming River manual rack and installing this one with a Volvo electric power steering pump.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts