Ford Mustang Forums banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
MM kmember, Griggs spindle adapters, SN95 spindles, upper control arms from Summit, MM SN95 lower control arms. Fabricated upper shock mount. Zero scrub using 18x11 rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
MM kmember, Griggs spindle adapters, SN95 spindles, upper control arms from Summit, MM SN95 lower control arms. Fabricated upper shock mount. Zero scrub using 18x12 rims.
Very cool. Where did you source the Penskes from? Had you been running the car with a normal strut setup (presumably with the MM K-member and A-arms) before going to the SLA?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Very cool. Where did you source the Penskes from? Had you been running the car with a normal strut setup (presumably with the MM K-member and A-arms) before going to the SLA?
Hi, yep this was a strut car that was mostly for street use. I autocrossed it once with the struts and it sucked big time, even with the K-member and A-arms. It wasn't until the SLA that it became a truly competitive autocross car. It's literally a night-and-day difference - so much grip, so solid. The shocks I got directly from Penske Racing with custom valving - these too made a major difference, particularly in quick transitions like slaloms - so much control it's unreal.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Yeah it really is night and day; a completely different car.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Very nice.I loved to see a list of the parts for that, minus the fabricated UCA mounts. From top of my head guesses, I have looked at the Grigg's parts a few times. It sounds like the cost of the shocks/springs/UCA's, and the spindle adapters, plus the UCA mounts.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Would you mind sharing a part number for the summit upper arms?
SPC 92142 for the upper control arms. Use with the Chrysler type ball joints Moog K772.

FYI the Griggs spindle adapters took about 9 months to arrive. Another option is the Whitby Motor Cars spindle adapters https://www.whitbymotorcars.com/product/sai-mod-kit/ but they have a greater steering axis inclination (9 degrees advertised).

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Hi, yep this was a strut car that was mostly for street use. I autocrossed it once with the struts and it sucked big time, even with the K-member and A-arms. It wasn't until the SLA that it became a truly competitive autocross car. It's literally a night-and-day difference - so much grip, so solid. The shocks I got directly from Penske Racing with custom valving - these too made a major difference, particularly in quick transitions like slaloms - so much control it's unreal.
Thanks for the details. How does the process work with Penske? I know jack squat about how to spec custom valving, wouldn't even know where to start. Did you have to tell them what you want, or did you contact them and say, "I have a custom SLA. I need a shock that is X" long and is suited for road racing and auto-x use," and then they spec'd everything for you?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Thanks for the details. How does the process work with Penske? I know jack squat about how to spec custom valving, wouldn't even know where to start. Did you have to tell them what you want, or did you contact them and say, "I have a custom SLA. I need a shock that is X" long and is suited for road racing and auto-x use," and then they spec'd everything for you?
When I had MCS change the valving in my shocks I told them the weight of the car corner weights, spring rates, tire type and what kind of suspension. Then they came up with the valving for the shocks. It worked the shocks were far better after the rebuild.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah you just tell them what your spring rates are, weight of the car, and what the car will be used for. It helps if you can include corner weights. Emphasize it will be used for autocross where you need superior control in quick transitions, e.g. abrupt turning and braking. It took some trial and error. They nailed the front shocks the first try, but I had to send back the rears for revalving - they were a bit too stiff initially. IIRC I don't think they charged me for the rear revalving, and their turn around time was really quick, within a week. Penske Racing as you would expect was very professional.

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I’m collecting parts to try this endeavor out and will post results as I have them.
I look forward to that, I'm considering options. I have the SN95 spindles and upgraded brakes to work, struts I just got, but the rest I hadn't committed too yet.

·
The real white95!
950 Posts
I look forward to that, I'm considering options. I have the SN95 spindles and upgraded brakes to work, struts I just got, but the rest I hadn't committed too yet.
Going to be a slow but deliberate process!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
No hurry, it involves welding and I haven't learned how to yet. I have a few welding projects planned anyway, so I might be decent by that point.

Reactions: somanycorners

·
The real white95!
950 Posts
FYI Bruce Griggs called me yesterday to inform me the spindle adapter I ordered is no longer offered in steel, as advertised. They do, however, offer it in aluminum. He said his website guy is MIA and apologized for the mix up. He made it right and when it arrives, I will post pictures.

…and they say Griggs Racing has terrible service?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I haven't looked at the Grigg's site in a while, I only recall one spindle adapter for the SLA suspension. Was there an AL choice before, why the change? The part is fairly small and stout in shape, does it matter if it's AL and not steel?

·
The real white95!
950 Posts
I haven't looked at the Grigg's site in a while, I only recall one spindle adapter for the SLA suspension. Was there an AL choice before, why the change? The part is fairly small and stout in shape, does it matter if it's AL and not steel?
I am not sure of the reason behind the change. I don’t believe the AL part was listed previously but, if it’s anything like their other wares, it should handle abuse.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
That's my initial thought also.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts