Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand you get what you pay for, I am not trying to set the world on fire so I probably should just get the MM front end and call it a day, however I do like how the SLA works, I do want to try to road race this car eventually when I get it setup for it and the only two real options I am seeing are Griggs and Agent 47. Griggs is pricey and Agent 47 seems like double that. I know you're paying for R&D, years of experience etc... but still. I'm not trying to cheap out and buy some crap like a Granetelli product or whatever but is there a "MM like" option as far as price and a good build quality for SLA?

I know I'll probably never need it but I've decided to do this car right the first time and I don't want to do it twice.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Griggs used to offer a kit that uses the MM K. No other info about it besides I saw an ad once. Lol

·
Registered
470 Posts
If one had the knowledge they could probably fab one up themselves. Short of that though I think those are your only two options. I'm kind of surprised I've never seen anyone try to make their own; I've seen plenty of guys build their own front ends on prerunners. That's prob apples to oranges really but point is it shouldn't be impossible.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well looking at it... either MM front end coilover setup and live with that like the MM setup is bad haha. Or just spring for the Griggs SLA. I'll have to price out everything completely for both but I know the MM will be substantially cheaper. Ah well, decisions.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Let us know how it goes for you.

I was shopping and planning a couple of years ago when I discovered those SLA systems. I decided then to try to go with the Grigg's normal front suspension kit, their Koni spec'd shocks front/rear, and the MM TA and LCA's. I'm slow so it will be a while yet before I get to the suspension. Good luck,

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it'll be awhile till I start it. Hopefully next spring but you know how that goes... car runs great now and is lowered so at least there is that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agent 47 only sells SLA. You have to buy everything upfront.

Griggs will sell C/O strut set up and then later you can upgrade it to SLA, but you only are reusing the K member doing it that way so you might as well just buy the SLA to start with.

Maximum Motorsports only sells C/O strut system. I believe there view on the SLA is that there isn't enought gain over the C/O strut system to justify the additional cost of an SLA.

I run MM front and FTBR IRS suspension on my 2000R. After several years this way I was looking for more.

Here is my post in SVTP forum.

SLA Front Suspension - SVTPerformance

Couple of Pics of the current setup. Notice the additional tire to spring clearance the SLA gives. 275/40R17 on a 95R wheel,

2000mcr's Library | Photobucket

Paul.

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I know the differences and that MM doesn't do SLA, just trying to justify the cost to myself for a SLA setup. The A47 stuff is like bat#### crazy expensive and Griggs isn't much better. Still... its a 1 time thing...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Paul:

Are there any details how you went about adding the UCA to the MM K-Member? Are you running the LCA in the lower bolt holes in the K-Member?

Have you thought about trying different strut valving? What is the strut attached to on the bottom now that the UCA is mounted in its place?

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Paul:

Are there any details how you went about adding the UCA to the MM K-Member? Are you running the LCA in the lower bolt holes in the K-Member?

Have you thought about trying different strut valving? What is the strut attached to on the bottom now that the UCA is mounted in its place?

Thanks
Added Pics of lower attaching point and UCA mount. I've changed things a few times so pics may differ from each other.

Currently I am using the lower k member mounting holes for the LCA. I made the upper control arm mount. The pic is of my original mount. I fits between the K member and frame. My current mount has multiple vertical mounting positions so I can change the amount of camber gain. Still using my original MM2 Bilstein struts. They should be underdampened with the 725lb springs I'm using, but I can't feel any.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Added Pics of lower attaching point and UCA mount. I've changed things a few times so pics may differ from each other.

Currently I am using the lower k member mounting holes for the LCA. I made the upper control arm mount. The pic is of my original mount. I fits between the K member and frame. My current mount has multiple vertical mounting positions so I can change the amount of camber gain. Still using my original MM2 Bilstein struts. They should be underdampened with the 725lb springs I'm using, but I can't feel any.
Excellent work!

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That looks great but I don't trust myself for something like that nor my basically nonexistant welding skills. Guess I'm stuck with MM C/O or bending over and closing my eyes on a SLA setup...

·
Registered
89 Posts
That looks great but I don't trust myself for something like that nor my basically nonexistant welding skills. Guess I'm stuck with MM C/O or bending over and closing my eyes on a SLA setup...
What is nice about MM is being able to add on as you go. Start with just a C/O kit, then add the A-arms, then the K member. Thats how I did it.
I've talked with others with MM suspension about how I did this and maybe myself or others may eventually have a bolt on kit, no welding needed, to add SLA to MM C/O suspensions.

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd probably just do the MM complete front for $1700 deal they have if I do MM.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have a never used Barts Works SLA that I would sell but it is for a fox. I assume your building one of the cars in your sig. I'm getting out of the road race scene for a while if I ever sell my Cobra...

·
Registered
546 Posts
The MM K member ( or stock K member with A-arm pickup points raised as described in the Mathis book ) along with Racecraft 2" drop spindles will get you close to an SLA. You will get more negative camber with suspension compression. Not exactly the same as an SLA but comes pretty darn close.

·
Registered
284 Posts
DIY SLA

Over the winter of 2011 I built a SLA for my American Iron racecar, a 88 foxbody. I modeled it using suspension analyzer 2.0, and built it using a MM k-member, forward offset SN95 lower arms, racecraft 2" dropped spindles, factory five spindle adapters for the upper arms, and SLC adjustable upper control arms. The new ruleset for 2012 allowed us to move our track width to 74.5", the width of the s197 chassis. I wanted this width, which meant modifying the lower arms. I cut the bushings off, welded in rod end adapters, and ran heim joints on the lower arms. I had to further modify the LCA's to accept the shock mounts, but that was easy. The only real fabrication involved building the upper control arm mounts and the upper shock mount.

Breakdown of the costs... I already had the lower control arms and the racecraft spindles, so those aren't included. I also had a set of KONI 3012 DA shocks so that cost is not shown either... I had steeda extended lower ball joints, and ran longer ball joints in the upper arms as well. I bought a new K-member so I didn't have to disassemble my car while the new setup was being built.

MM K-member $550
Rod ends x 4 $161
Misalignment spacers $32
Tube weld nuts/Lock nuts $63
Spindle Adapters - Whitby $300
Upper Control Arms $409
Lower shock mounts $15
Upper shock mounts $23
Misc Steel $90
Upper Ball Joint $90

It worked very very well..... :joy:

modified lca's....

Adjustable upper arm...

DIY UCA mount and shock mount..

Installed..

·
Registered
284 Posts
DIY SLA

Couple more pics...

Fully dressed... Widebody fox.

Like I said earlier... it worked extremely well. I spent more time moving things around in the software, trying to find the best location for the upper arms and shock mounts, adjusting for anti-dive, roll center migration, camber gain, etc. etc. than I did actually building the stuff.

I won my first AI race the second race weekend I had the car out after the build.

Then I wrecked it the next day trying to repeat...

Currently racing a 2005 chassis with the same pushrod engine and TKO600... and contemplating building a SLA for it! :evilgrin:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts