Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while driving the car suddenly lost power. Pressing the pedal down did nothing. I slowed down to a crawl and limped into a parking lot. The engine idled fine. The tranny shifted fine, just no pedal response. After sitting for a while, everything went back to normal. So I'm wondering if there has been any problems with the throttle by wire system.

· Registered
135 Posts
Something in the TBW system wasn't doing its job. Either the accelerator pedal signal sending unit, the ECM, or the TPS(throttle position sensor). Or possibly the TB(throttle body). Did a CEL come on?

· Registered
365 Posts
Whenever something like this happens put it in neutral, make sure your going straight and turn the ignition off then on....Better to do it when your stopped. Every time I have had a driving issue like that rebooting the computer seemed to fix it. GA

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Yesterday while driving the car suddenly lost power. Pressing the pedal down did nothing. I slowed down to a crawl and limped into a parking lot. The engine idled fine. The tranny shifted fine, just no pedal response. After sitting for a while, everything went back to normal. So I'm wondering if there has been any problems with the throttle by wire system.

yes there has, so take your car to a dealer as there is a TSB on this and several revised thrttlbdys

· Registered
451 Posts
he never said "techs." he said "department" it allows Ford to tune the car down so less things will break= less warranty work.

Hence why we see huge gains from a tune and CAI

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something in the TBW system wasn't doing its job. Either the accelerator pedal signal sending unit, the ECM, or the TPS(throttle position sensor). Or possibly the TB(throttle body). Did a CEL come on?
Nope, no lights came on, and it hasn't happened since. Is it worth taking it to the dealer. I know what they'll say, " If there's no codes and it's not happening at that very moment, there's nothing we can do."

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Well I'm a Ford Tech and I love drive-by-wire. It makes life a lot simpler and plus I make more money when crap brakes. Take it to the dealership. We have had many problems with the T/B's and there are numerous TSB's. Tell the service writer, etc that it has happened many times, etc. There should be a code stored even if the CEL isn't on. They will most likely throw a TB at it and it should fix it. If they do nothing then they get paid nothing.

· Registered
2,527 Posts
he never said "techs." he said "department" it allows Ford to tune the car down so less things will break= less warranty work.

Hence why we see huge gains from a tune and CAI
OK i read it wrong...SilverHatch...from a actual performance stand point and tuning for aftermarket...the classic TB set-up was much better. But i know the Drive by wire ford as far as tuning.

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Well the drive by wire eliminated the EGR valve. That a positive note, I agree to you tho, I don't like it for drivability on a personal car. They feel laggy and unresponsive. As far as performance, I don't see much of anything different. They still offer parts and goodies.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it happened a few more times since, so I finally took it in to the dealer and they admitted that there has been some issues with the TBW so they put in a new throttle body and the porblems gone for now. So my ? is, Have they really fixed the problem or did I just get another TB that will fail in the near future?

· Registered
1,207 Posts
Ford went to DBW to save money, to improve fuel economy, and to improve their version of driveability.

DBW saves money because you don't have seperate iac motor and cruise control motor.

On the 3v you can get better mpg and better emissions with VCT and DBW.

They can also limit throttle rate to make the drivetrain clunk less and feel smoother. I won't say it was totally a durability/warranty issue. The GT500 has NO throttle rate limiting from the factory, though its a very heavy car with a lot of torque, so they engineered the drivetrain to hold up to it.

If your car is stock, have ford fix the issue.

· Registered
3 Posts
Well I'm a Ford Tech and I love drive-by-wire. It makes life a lot simpler and plus I make more money when crap brakes. Take it to the dealership. We have had many problems with the T/B's and there are numerous TSB's. Tell the service writer, etc that it has happened many times, etc. There should be a code stored even if the CEL isn't on. They will most likely throw a TB at it and it should fix it. If they do nothing then they get paid nothing.
Makes things simpler but you make more money there's nothing simple about it unless you had to train

· Registered
3 Posts
You don't have to have much experience to work on old school cars nowadays you got to have four years of college and 20 years of being a mechanic in a some kind of business to be able to work on anything to do with it it don't make good sense everything gets harder you make more money we go broke

· Registered
2,880 Posts
LOL @RWB, youre reviving a 15 year old thread. Check the post date before replying to a thread. 90% of the people who posted just 10 years ago are no longer active.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts