Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my mustang out on the highway for the first time after having my 4.10's installed yesterday. At speeds above 70 I started to hear a low rumble that almost felt like the rear was shaking. Is this normal? I also have noticed some fluid on the inside of my right rear rim that appears to have dripped from the dust cover behind the brakes. Is it possible that my rear end/axles are leaking? Did they have to remove the axles to install the gears? I am getting ready to take it back to the shop to address these questions but I want to go with some knowledge about what may be wrong with my rear end. Any help would be appreciated. The car has been driven 400-500 miles since the install. I noticed some fluid (small amount)on the rims after about 200 miles and cleaned it off now there is more( not alot but you can tell it is there):(

·
Registered
468 Posts
sounds like axle seals leaking to me. Clean the rims again if more fluid appears take it back to them.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Was this a reputable read end shop? I know some shops to a fantastic job on gears and others don't even just the right tools and go by feel rather than actually measuring the clearances...
If your gear is making noise at highway speeds it could be that the clearances are way off and it wasn't installed properly.

I would take it back to them ASAP... because if it's low on fluid or if it's out of alignment it will not last long if you keep driving it like that....

Tom in Indy

·
Registered
1997 Mustang GT
451 Posts
If your leaking gear oil, I bet they nicked your axle seal(s) when removing them for the install. As for your shaking, lower gear ratios tend to amplify any small imbalace you might have in the drivetrain that was there from the beginning but unoticable before. I had this problem after installing my 3.73's. The easiest way to correct it is to install an aluminum drive shaft. They are balanced much more precisley than the stock driveshaft. Worked like a charm for me. Indexing the stock drive shaft may also help. If your gears are howling then I would take it back, they botched the install.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Did they remove the damper from the rearend? If so, that would be my educated/experienced guess. I say experienced because after I put my 4.10s in, I got rid of my damper. Like a moron, I threw it away expecting not to need it ever again. Unfortunately, I got a wicked vibration on decel at anything above 70. I got the aluminum driveshaft and it helped alot, but it's still there (you can barely tell). I'm going to find another damper and see if that does the trick.

FWIW, my pinion angle is dead-on, so it's not that.

As far as your leaking, I'd lean towards the seal in the tube.

Just my $.01.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts