Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice the price of these especially in good condition has started to really go up? Even for a clean unmolested GT.

The Terminator, forget about it... They are being priced like Grand Nationals...

Iv also noticed they started getting love from Fox Body guys like Fox Cast Media which is a very good YouTube channel too, seems like he has expanded from Fox's to New Edge's...

They are a nice looking generation, never really got their due kind of like the 3rd gen Camaro and Firebird took a while to become "classic".

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Was only a matter of time with the way fox body pricing is going. A rising tide lifts all boats is the expression i believe.

A few years ago, a clean driver new edge GT was $4500 or so. I remember saying i should pick one up at that price. I waited, and now drivers are $7-9K and clean examples are reaching into the high teens.

·
Registered
2000 Mustang GT
328 Posts
Seen some real turds being posted 8-12k range

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought my 02 gt back in 2015 with 91xxx miles for 5500. I sold it in 2020 to a friend for cheap because I lost interest. Last year I wanted another one but there were none to be found. The only ones I found were on the east coast and all wanted stupid money for them. I ended up overpaying for a 00 gt only to sell it a few months later. I took a loss on it but it turned out to be a turd. The paint and interior were in great shape but it had running issues that wouldn’t go away and I just got fed up with it. I’d love another new edge but in this market hell no. I love the visceral feeling of those cars. I love my 17 gt but it doesn’t have that same feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
A lot of it is probably due to the pandemic. The price of used cars across the board have risen.

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
I miss my 2003 GT quite a bit.

Sold it back in 2009 for $7500 with 75k miles and in 9.5 out of 10 condition and that was a struggle to get that.

In looking for a similar condition GT I’m seeing them
Well into the high teens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plus for so cheap you can make a new edge look fantastic. Tint it out, grill delete with just the floating Mustang emblem, smoked headlights and taillights and they look awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
My wife has had an 02 v6 for ten years now, we've kept it very clean and in good order but it's her daily driver and accumulating miles.. I'd trust it to go Seattle to Miami and back without a thought about reliability. I think it's a great looking car that has aged well and drives nicely.

When I was shopping for a project new edge mustang last summer I saw a lot of true garbage for $3k+ asking.. cars with major body damage, unrecoverable interiors.. real shame. They're good cars even the v6 is a good car and it sucks people disrespect them so much

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
My wife has had an 02 v6 for ten years now, we've kept it very clean and in good order but it's her daily driver and accumulating miles.. I'd trust it to go Seattle to Miami and back without a thought about reliability. I think it's a great looking car that has aged well and drives nicely.

When I was shopping for a project new edge mustang last summer I saw a lot of true garbage for $3k+ asking.. cars with major body damage, unrecoverable interiors.. real shame. They're good cars even the v6 is a good car and it sucks people disrespect them so much
Pretty much every car that’s ever been made in my lifetime (39 years old) has been disposable. But I guess they even got more disposable when I was in high school. Think about it, no one is on the market for a classic 1997 Malibu and I don’t think they ever will be. Lot of 80’s-‘mid ‘00’s have long been to the crusher and as of late it looks like they’re dragging the ones out of the weeds that haven’t been crushed yet and they’re asking ridiculous pricing. $10k for a ‘99 ranger and sht..

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Nah not classics. Just stupid pricing. They’re asking $12,500 for this turd pile. I guess technically it’s a classic based on its age though.
Check out a 1995 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo AWD - $12,000 on CarGurus at CarGurus - 1995 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo AWD - $12,000

I was just thinking the other day "When was the last time i saw a DSM on the road?"

Really though, they have all disappeared. I haven't seen one in years. Back in the early 2000's when i was big into racing and such, seemed like a lot of folks had a quick Eagle or Eclipse GSX or even a 3000GT TT/Dodge stealth.

I really wanted a red Stealth back in the late 90's.

Holy hell
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T TURBO | eBay

Looks like everything from the 80's and 90's that was cool is rising. Not just Fox/Sn95's

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I was just thinking the other day "When was the last time i saw a DSM on the road?"

Really though, they have all disappeared. I haven't seen one in years. Back in the early 2000's when i was big into racing and such, seemed like a lot of folks had a quick Eagle or Eclipse GSX or even a 3000GT TT/Dodge stealth.

I really wanted a red Stealth back in the late 90's.

Holy hell
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T TURBO | eBay

Looks like everything from the 80's and 90's that was cool is rising. Not just Fox/Sn95's
Yeah man I always wanted an eclipse/talon when I was in my teens. I finally got an ‘03 V6 when I was 21 or so but it was lame.
Everything has risen, even then uncool. $16k for a 2012 maxima with 90k miles. In 2020 they were $6k-$8k.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Pretty much every car that’s ever been made in my lifetime (39 years old) has been disposable.
I noticed a lot of non-enthusiast people seem to not understand the concept of repair, in particular repair on a holistic scale (fixing things which aren't essential to movement - loose trim, bushings, etc). Hard to come up with specific examples on the spot but over the years I've had tons of small interactions with people where they either seemed surprised by how nice was whatever older car I was driving or they seemed unable to process that all older cars aren't fungible and "your" (some rando - not you reading this) 250k miles isn't the same as "my" 250k miles.

This Montero was $930 when I bought it with 279k miles non-running. It needed everything.

I sold it the same day I listed it for $5k two years and 45k miles later, to a fly-in-drive-home stranger from the other side of the continent and that guy put ~40k more miles on it then sold it for a higher price to somebody else.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

But the reason its value increased isn't because the make and model suddenly became a desirable classic it's because that specific one was repaired in-depth, enough that it's closing in on 400k miles and has every reason to see 600+k if the current owner bothers to care for it.

2017:
Wheel Tire Sky Automotive parking light Car

2021:
Wheel Car Tire Sky Land vehicle

So last year I picked up this '94 I've been posting around this site about as I repair it. I didn't pay much for it. It ran but poorly, had a lot of entropy creeping in... 240k miles worth. It was complete but every inch of it needs going through and I've been doing that.

It was up on FB Marketplace for months and I'm sure the reason it was up for months is the seller's located a couple hours drive from the nearest city of any significance. In town, every SN95 or New Edge with 150k+ miles for less than $5k is dumpster juice. So I'm sure every other window shopper who saw 240k miles and the price assumed it's not worth the drive to even look at it. Their loss, turns out aside from being worn out at least it was complete & the body is straight. Cool!

Here's how it looks today.. think I could get more than a few hundred bucks if I felt like selling? :ROFLMAO: Wax and wheels don't tell the whole story but this is a visual medium..
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

I don't think SN95's became more valuable between last summer and today but fixing something old and neglected sure seems to add value to it...

Same with my wife's car... it was only 8 or 9 years old when she got it but she's been driving it to work every day since then so it's creeping in on 200k miles. This is what 20 years of daily driving looks like on a 2002 V6 New Edge:
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Bumper

Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Vehicle

By comparison here are a couple locally for sale right now on FB Marketplace:

$500 no title, needs rear axle and I can only imagine how bad it looks inside and under the hood:
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

$3000 (v6.. and this is FAR from the only problem)
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle

$6000
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Honorable mention, this one is $6500 . I know it's not a New Edge. It's a little unique because it's a "Body in White" with 0 miles, but still that's a lot of money for a "some assembly required" with no engine, no suspension and no interior.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Less cars worth keeping + Harder to find clean survivors + emissions meeting requirements + "clunker" programs + higher car recycling occurrence = less cars to pick from = the law of supply and demand being in play. Used to be when a car was "used up" a lot of people would shove them out in the back corner of the property. Then 20 years later it'd be pulled out and BAM collector car to be restored. Since the 80's, that just doesn't happen anymore.

Also, every car that is driveable that can pass an inspection and get titled and driven went up in value over the last year or two. How much is debatable. But a $10,000 car three years ago is a easily a $12,000 (if not more) car now. When a clean average miles 5 year old car is selling at 80% (sometimes more) of it's original MSRP, everything is worth more.

I'm in the market for a new truck and 5-7 year old trucks end up having almost the same monthly payment as buying new. But you don't get the exact options you want or the color you might want and the warranty is expired and the truck has 75,000 miles. It's an easy decision to me. I'm ordering a new F250 soon.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Probably, but.. that 2valve motor leaves ALOT to be desired. So I think it caps out fairly low.
I'd be 10 times more likely to go with a 2005 and up 3 valve car, probably find nicer examples for the money.

Last record sale on a GN was over 200k... 03 cobras aren't anywhere in that ballpark, so I disagree there.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I noticed a lot of non-enthusiast people seem to not understand the concept of repair, in particular repair on a holistic scale (fixing things which aren't essential to movement - loose trim, bushings, etc). Hard to come up with specific examples on the spot but over the years I've had tons of small interactions with people where they either seemed surprised by how nice was whatever older car I was driving or they seemed unable to process that all older cars aren't fungible and "your" (some rando - not you reading this) 250k miles isn't the same as "my" 250k miles.

This Montero was $930 when I bought it with 279k miles non-running. It needed everything.

I sold it the same day I listed it for $5k two years and 45k miles later, to a fly-in-drive-home stranger from the other side of the continent and that guy put ~40k more miles on it then sold it for a higher price to somebody else.
View attachment 1081161

But the reason its value increased isn't because the make and model suddenly became a desirable classic it's because that specific one was repaired in-depth, enough that it's closing in on 400k miles and has every reason to see 600+k if the current owner bothers to care for it.

2017:
View attachment 1081162
2021:
View attachment 1081163

So last year I picked up this '94 I've been posting around this site about as I repair it. I didn't pay much for it. It ran but poorly, had a lot of entropy creeping in... 240k miles worth. It was complete but every inch of it needs going through and I've been doing that.

It was up on FB Marketplace for months and I'm sure the reason it was up for months is the seller's located a couple hours drive from the nearest city of any significance. In town, every SN95 or New Edge with 150k+ miles for less than $5k is dumpster juice. So I'm sure every other window shopper who saw 240k miles and the price assumed it's not worth the drive to even look at it. Their loss, turns out aside from being worn out at least it was complete & the body is straight. Cool!

Here's how it looks today.. think I could get more than a few hundred bucks if I felt like selling? :ROFLMAO: Wax and wheels don't tell the whole story but this is a visual medium..
View attachment 1081165

I don't think SN95's became more valuable between last summer and today but fixing something old and neglected sure seems to add value to it...

Same with my wife's car... it was only 8 or 9 years old when she got it but she's been driving it to work every day since then so it's creeping in on 200k miles. This is what 20 years of daily driving looks like on a 2002 V6 New Edge:
View attachment 1081166
View attachment 1081167

By comparison here are a couple locally for sale right now on FB Marketplace:

$500 no title, needs rear axle and I can only imagine how bad it looks inside and under the hood:
View attachment 1081168

$3000 (v6.. and this is FAR from the only problem)
View attachment 1081169

$6000
View attachment 1081170

Honorable mention, this one is $6500 . I know it's not a New Edge. It's a little unique because it's a "Body in White" with 0 miles, but still that's a lot of money for a "some assembly required" with no engine, no suspension and no interior.
View attachment 1081171
Non enthusiast? Who’s enthusiastic about a ‘98 Sunfire sedan? How about a ‘90 Ford Tempo?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Non enthusiast? Who’s enthusiastic about a ‘98 Sunfire sedan? How about a ‘90 Ford Tempo?
Some folks are just automotive enthusiasts in general, I'll make anything work. Several years ago I was given this wrecked Saturn for free and had a good time making it roadworthy again, sold it to a friend-of-a-friend who drove it four more years until she discovered that cars actually do need oil changes.

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Car Tire

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Grille

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

A car is a resource, just like any other resource if you waste it that's a waste.

Nobody's a mayonnaise enthusiast but if you throw away a half jar of mayonnaise that's a waste.

Unlike mayonnaise you can repair a car...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts