Ford Mustang Forums banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
For anyone that remembers getting their monthly subscription to MM & FF, 5.0, and others for not only reading pleasure, but for information about what new products are out and cruising the pages and reading all the ads for Mustang part's places that went out of business a long time ago.

We got recognized when this small piece was printed whenever my Dad took the 86 out. You gotta remember this was in the August 1996 issue. So people weren't buying parts online at LMR or AM, or getting their info online. These were like monthly bibles in a way lol. My dad never understood why they used that engine shot and not the other one i'm showing. They also edited a bit of the story and just printed it. This was 1996 though, so the car was pretty well modified for the time for what was available for 5.0s.

Sorry for the quality, I had to take a picture of the picture with my phone and upload it.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,196 Posts
Just talked to Holley, and they are sending me the 8 to 6-pin connector adapter harness. High hopes I can get this car running this weekend.
I just bought a kit for my build. Glad I saw this so I can reopen and check that it's in there. Did your kit come with instructions or what you show above from the online stuff you printed out?

Bought mine from AFM and it has no paperwork in it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I just bought a kit for my build. Glad I saw this so I can reopen and check that it's in there. Did your kit come with instructions or what you show above from the online stuff you printed out?

Bought mine from AFM and it has no paperwork in it.

Wait, your kit doesn't have the bigger Terminator X/X Max ECU instruction manual, the other manual that is just for the harnesses included, and then there should be a couple random pieces of paper stuck in one of the manuals for diagrams showing the distributor with the distributor and the TFI harness with all the various figures of where each connector goes?

Nothing at all? You need the main manual that shows the Terminator X/X Max ECUs on the cover. That one will guide you step-by-step on how to install the kit.

I do believe you can go to the Holley website and print out all the manuals and diagrams that are included in the kit. It sucks that your kit didn't include it. I like to have the paper handbook to look at/read while i'm installing the harness and parts of the kit on my car.

If this is the case, then AFM is either receiving shotty kits, that were put together and whoever put the kits in the box didn't use a checklist to make sure everything that was supposed to be included, was included, or AFM took some SBF Terminator X kits and put them in Fox Body kit boxes and missed pieces.

Print those instruction manuals though!

My kit from AFM obviously didn't have the WBO2 adapter harness, but also didn't have an invoice in the box showing my purchase details/price I paid. Wonder if anyone else who bought their kit from AFM had similar issues.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,196 Posts
Wait, your kit doesn't have the bigger Terminator X/X Max ECU instruction manual, the other manual that is just for the harnesses included, and then there should be a couple random pieces of paper stuck in one of the manuals for diagrams showing the distributor with the distributor and the TFI harness with all the various figures of where each connector goes?

Nothing at all? You need the main manual that shows the Terminator X/X Max ECUs on the cover. That one will guide you step-by-step on how to install the kit.

I do believe you can go to the Holley website and print out all the manuals and diagrams that are included in the kit. It sucks that your kit didn't include it. I like to have the paper handbook to look at/read while i'm installing the harness and parts of the kit on my car.

If this is the case, then AFM is either receiving shotty kits, that were put together and whoever put the kits in the box didn't use a checklist to make sure everything that was supposed to be included, was included, or AFM took some SBF Terminator X kits and put them in Fox Body kit boxes and missed pieces.

Print those instruction manuals though!

My kit from AFM obviously didn't have the WBO2 adapter harness, but also didn't have an invoice in the box showing my purchase details/price I paid. Wonder if anyone else who bought their kit from AFM had similar issues.
I will call AFM tomorrow. May be a couple months until I'm ready to have the Term X in the car and wired so this thread has been super helpful to check my kit over. I looked earlier today and I do have the adapter harness. Zero paperwork, instructions, etc. No Holley sticker. NADA.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,196 Posts
The caveat is there is less info out there and less support from ProM.
Trying to understand pros and cons.
I already have a brand new ProM 92 MAF for 80 lb injectors so cost difference at this point isn’t really a factor.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,196 Posts
Trying to actually talk to a live person at ProM seems nearly impossible. Contact page no return call, etc. This is why I'm hedging to go proM or stick with the Holley. If I run into issues with the ProM I'm on my own.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,196 Posts
Because it didn’t come with instructions?
Where did I say that was the reason?

ProM is supposed to be more plug and play. I've watched several of the the ProM install vids online, straight forward but then again it's always about the details you don't know until you dive into it and run into problems.

ProM system also gets rid of any TFI problems.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Where did I say that was the reason?
I’m just giving you a hard time.

If I did a term x I would just bite the bullet and do a dual sync if I wanted to retain a distributor.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,196 Posts
I’m just giving you a hard time.

If I did a term x I would just bite the bullet and do a dual sync if I wanted to retain a distributor.
It's really hard to decide. And people who already chose an aftermarket ECU will say whatever system they are using is best.

Trying to educate myself as much as I can. ProM folks seem to swear by it but have to sort out fact from confirmation bias.

I'm considering going COP which also helps clean up the engine bay wiring as another consideration.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
It's really hard to decide. And people who already chose an aftermarket ECU will say whatever system they are using is best.

Trying to educate myself as much as I can. ProM folks seem to swear by it but have to sort out fact from confirmation bias.

I'm considering going COP which also helps clean up the engine bay wiring as another consideration.
True. Everyone wants to think the decision they made was the best possible one.

I don’t run a Holley on my personal car, but we have don’t ls swaps in other cars and ran one and they have been flawless.

Personally I like the pimpxs I have. At the time it was (in my opinion) the best option as far as money was concerned in regard to what I needed as I/o. This was before the I/o harness was out for the term x, but it’s still comparable.

It all comes down to what do you NEED now, and what do you see yourself needing in the future. If someone a dash that’s can support digital screen and configurable I/o then I know what direction I’d be looking to go. Far as plug and play stuff goes I’m sure the pro-m is great, but imo you’re somewhat limited to other things that I want, that others might not care for.

If I could do it all again, one and done, I’d put fueltech on the car.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,196 Posts
True. Everyone wants to think the decision they made was the best possible one.

I don’t run a Holley on my personal car, but we have don’t ls swaps in other cars and ran one and they have been flawless.

Personally I like the pimpxs I have. At the time it was (in my opinion) the best option as far as money was concerned in regard to what I needed as I/o. This was before the I/o harness was out for the term x, but it’s still comparable.

It all comes down to what do you NEED now, and what do you see yourself needing in the future. If someone a dash that’s can support digital screen and configurable I/o then I know what direction I’d be looking to go. Far as plug and play stuff goes I’m sure the pro-m is great, but imo you’re somewhat limited to other things that I want, that others might not care for.

If I could do it all again, one and done, I’d put fueltech on the car.
I'm leaning ProM now. Eventually will go with a Dakota Digital dash as that's the last step of integration and eliminates a a few of the individual external gauges needed (oil, temp, volt). Crazy how much all this costs.

I'm doing a Vortech on a stock 351W stroked to a 414.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Ditching the TFI itself gets rid of TFI problems. Can do that with any of the modern systems. I installed my TermX with a dual sync. I was so thrilled to ditch TFI and sell the extra TFI modules I had laying around as spares.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,196 Posts
Ditching the TFI itself gets rid of TFI problems. Can do that with any of the modern systems. I installed my TermX with a dual sync. I was so thrilled to ditch TFI and sell the extra TFI modules I had laying around as spares.
And the COP allows me to ditch my MSD box and coil mounted on the strut tower.
I’ll be going with the ProM and the Term X goes back to AFM tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
MSD sells an entire system to replace the distributor, uses COPs and is designed to work the the Terminator X. You have to remember Holley is huge, they own MSD along with half of the companies you probably have on your car. So a lot of stuff from a company like MSD fits Holley set-ups on purpose.

As far as Pro-M, it's a really great system, it's what my friend uses on his 86 GT, but the support out there is far and few. The good thing about Holley and the Terminator X/Dominator/Sniper is a lot of places tune using that software, so it's pretty well understood. Pro-M is also $2700, which probably makes up someone's mind for them instantly since it's pretty pricey.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
MSD sells an entire system to replace the distributor, uses COPs and is designed to work the the Terminator X. You have to remember Holley is huge, they own MSD along with half of the companies you probably have on your car. So a lot of stuff from a company like MSD fits Holley set-ups on purpose.

As far as Pro-M, it's a really great system, it's what my friend uses on his 86 GT, but the support out there is far and few. The good thing about Holley and the Terminator X/Dominator/Sniper is a lot of places tune using that software, so it's pretty well understood. Pro-M is also $2700, which probably makes up someone's mind for them instantly since it's pretty pricey.
If one of them had the transmission support for the 6R80 six speed, the decision would also be easy. I'm a ways away from having to decide, but I hope one of them is working on that.

·
Registered
351 Posts
And the COP allows me to ditch my MSD box and coil mounted on the strut tower.
I’ll be going with the ProM and the Term X goes back to AFM tomorrow.
The Term X is easy to tune and there is a lot of info out there for it. In reality it doesn't work very well with the fox platform in my opinion. The harness is incomplete and the prefabbed lengths are all wrong if you like a clean installation.
If your harness is in good condition and stock I would use a QH and have Leech tune it. If my harness was garbage I would replace it with the appropriate ProM and go. If i was looking for the minimalist approach,(street Strip) wanted to use a Holley dash and liked to tinker with tuning I would get the Term X and the dual sync. It all depends on the application.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
The Term X is easy to tune and there is a lot of info out there for it. In reality it doesn't work very well with the fox platform in my opinion. The harness is incomplete and the prefabbed lengths are all wrong if you like a clean installation.
If your harness is in good condition and stock I would use a QH and have Leech tune it. If my harness was garbage I would replace it with the appropriate ProM and go. If i was looking for the minimalist approach,(street Strip) wanted to use a Holley dash and liked to tinker with tuning I would get the Term X and the dual sync. It all depends on the application.
Would you describe the Term X as having very long wiring?

My potential project is a 98 Explorer, the engine harness connector to PCM is maybe eight inches long. The PCM is mounted in the firewall, at the top behind the engine.

Below is not my truck, but the closest to the basic layout I have planned. Space is limited, there's a little below and in front of the master cylinder, but not much anywhere else.
This man installed an SN95 Kenne Belle kit, with minor changes to the snout/pulley/idler parts and alignment.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

101 - 120 of 128 Posts