Ford Mustang Forums banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, I've been that dingus on my own car. I can't even remember what I did to the wiring and pins in the past, I've had the car since the mid-90s and at some point, I added a wide-band, tried switching to a SN95 ECU (I think), switched back to the X3Z EEC-IV (I think), etc. Before I yanked the motor in 2016 for bad bearings, I was chasing gremlins and check engine lights, having problems with tunes, getting frustrated with quarterhorse and binary editor, etc. To hell with all that, hoping the Holley unit makes running my rebuilt engine a piece of cake. fingers crossed
Had this same issue when I tried converting my LTD to MAF using factory harnesses and parts. 30+ year old harness didn’t want to cooperate and had a no start condition even though everything was hooked up and ran correctly.

Spent 2 weekends installing my TermX per the instructions and it fired up first turn of the key. Been enjoying it ever since.

Edit: I bought my kit about 4 months after they hit the market, so any Fox specific info was very limited and hard to find. It’s been on the car for 2 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'87 20th Anniversary Cougar7.0 427W
5,413 Posts
I've had a Holley HP on four different combos--347 with a YSI, stock NA 302, HCI 302 w/turbo, and 363 with turbo. Cams from mild to wild. The Ford PWM IAC and TFI ran them all with no issues.

Out of curiosity, boredom, and to free up an input for the future, I installed a GM IAC on the 363. No difference.
I have an HP also with Ford IAC and TPS. 427w, big cam - 7-8" vacuum.

It's idles stupidly smoothly at 806 RPM. It will idle in the low 700s, but I prefer to have voltage (4 3/8" crank pulley) and vacuum for brakes. I made a thread about tweaking the Holley for best street drivability, I'm sure everybody here has seen and posted in it. There's more that I've learned since then, but I'm not in the mood to backtrack.

I had the A9L and worked with that until I reached what seemed like the limits of it. One being the rev limit of the 427 being 6700 RPM which is more than the A9L is comfortable with. The other big issue was a bigger cam likes some extra fuel down low to help with air-charge variation. Doing that with a narrowband is possible, but not ideal. Fast wideband control can compensate for most anything.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Mine did arrive, so I guess I got lucky with Summit. Looks like everything is there and, I know this is a really weird thing to say, but it just smells good. I'm used to car **** smelling bad (gear oil, no cats exhaust, I have no interior in my car, etc.) so the clean smell of hope stands out lol.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Yeah, I've been that dingus on my own car. I can't even remember what I did to the wiring and pins in the past, I've had the car since the mid-90s and at some point, I added a wide-band, tried switching to a SN95 ECU (I think), switched back to the X3Z EEC-IV (I think), etc. Before I yanked the motor in 2016 for bad bearings, I was chasing gremlins and check engine lights, having problems with tunes, getting frustrated with quarterhorse and binary editor, etc. To hell with all that, hoping the Holley unit makes running my rebuilt engine a piece of cake. fingers crossed

The guy I bought my car from had some obnoxious sound system with a custom subwoofer box in the hatch. Massive subs and Rockford Fosgate speakers. I know nothing about custom audio equipment, nor do I care about it. It looked liked relatively expensive stuff, yet the guy didn't want to shell out the money to get it professionally installed and wired. First thing I did when I got the car was remove it and I had to leave some wires connected, because like I said he connected them to to power sources you should never tap into. Now that i'm removing my harness, i'm finding where he hooked into which is easy, just look for the world's worst splicing job and a single piece of electrical tape. I have a bunch of heat shrink tubing I ordered from Jegs and then I also saw some at Harbor Freight for dirt cheap, so I figured i'd pick some up since it's always nice to have some around and makes wiring look so much cleaner.

I'll admit I did some electrical wiring shortcuts on my 99 GT, this time i'm taking my time and doing a very clean job on my 86 GT. I've just been slowly pulling wiring and labeling everything correctly. It's nice because my passenger seat is removed and since my car is in my garage, I just put plastic on my rear seat and sit on it when I get a little tired then get back on the floor carpet to work on the wiring

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
For anyone looking, poweraddersolutions has fox kits in stock, they just posted on FB today about their inventory going fast.

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
The #2 reason I did the TermX was that a new OEM wiring harness alone was like $600 at the time. After 30 years mine was brittle, full of repairs, broke connectors, adding a wideband via EVAP ect.

·
Registered
247 Posts
FYI you can still get the Terminator X for a fuel injected SBF from Holley. The main harness is the same as the fox specific kit sans the TFI, it’s replaced with the duel sync. The main reason the fox kit was abandoned was EPA, the 1987-1993 cars can with smog and that’s a no no now. So now you call up Holley and say you want a Terminator X for A SBF fuel injected motor that you plan on installing in a 69 Fairlane etc, done deal.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
For anyone looking, poweraddersolutions has fox kits in stock, they just posted on FB today about their inventory going fast.
I second doing business with this shop. They've been around for a long time and it's down the street from me. I recently picked up the Holley Dual Sync from there.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·

I finally removed the stock harness. Also last week I decided my radiator sucks, so why don't I buy a 3 core one since I have to drain the old radiator anyways (I know I didn't have to drain it all out, but it gave me an excuse to buy a new one :)). I already have slim twin electric fans, so it should look nice mounted to the 3 core.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I've been taking my time and having to fix a bunch of the previous owners very strange wiring issues. The car will probably run better with just the new harness alone. There were at least 6-7 areas with the worst splicing job i've ever seen and on top this guy must have tried to splice about 1-2 inches into the wiring coming right out of the OEM harness. I guess he thought it was a mistake and put electrical tape, but on 3 different spots. Before I started the Terminator X install, I was having major idling issues. Today I went and took the provided 3 pin connector to re-wire the OEM section into the new GM style plug and when I removed pig-tail from the old harness there was just a section of the TPS wires that just had the insulator of the wire cut off. No electrical tape, or heat shrink tubing, even duct tape would be better than leaving the wire bare. A lot of problem wires were covered by the loom.

I just have to hook up some last power, ground, fuel, and I/O wires and i'll be done. I also have to put my new 3 core radiator in along and manifold.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Did anyone's kit come with a 8 to 6 pin connector adapter for the WBO2? My WB is a 6 pin square male connector and the piece coming off the harness is an 8 pin rectangular female connector. These two pieces won't fit obviously. I read the instructions and it says use the connector adapter and connect the WBO2 into the engine harness. I don't have anything like that in my kit. I only had the hose fittings, and the 3 pin connector for the TPS which I already connected.

I'm basically done and was hoping to start the car up, but I can't without this connection. I called Holley yesterday and of course I called too late and today they're closed and Memorial Day I would bet they're closed as well. I didn't miss anything in the kit, whatever was in that box I didn't misplace. I made sure to keep track of everything and listed out a map almost of what I would do next so I wouldn't forget anything and there was no extra connector in there.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
This adapter harness is no where to be found in my kit.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·

·
Registered
118 Posts
I’d just give them a call come Tuesday, their customer service was great for me when I needed to swap the 93-97 4R harness for the 98+ one.

Be prepared to wait on the phone for a good while though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Yeah, I guess that's the choice. I so badly wanted to get the car together by then and have it running and start during some simple tuning like IAC ramp decay, checking fuel tables at idle and so forth. Oh well, I still need to buy a cheap Windows based laptop for tuning purposes since I don't want to run it on my Mac since it always kills my battery when I do it.

I have coil-overs, new Bilstein shocks, UPR CC plates, lowering springs, Scott Drake 8.8 Girdle, BMR upper/lower control arms, TF 50 oz. balancer, and a few other parts I planned to install on my car after I got my car up an running up the Terminator X. My buddy and I planned on doing these suspension mods for months and honestly all I want to do is just cruise in the car during the summer. This car has been in the garage for a while whilst I buy new parts for it, not just the new ECU, suspension, I also re-did the whole ignition system with DUI Hot Forged parts. At this point i'm ready to just bolt everything back together and be able to enjoy driving it before taking on another project. It's been months since the car has moved from my garage.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah, I guess that's the choice. I so badly wanted to get the car together by then and have it running and start during some simple tuning like IAC ramp decay, checking fuel tables at idle and so forth. Oh well, I still need to buy a cheap Windows based laptop for tuning purposes since I don't want to run it on my Mac since it always kills my battery when I do it.

I have coil-overs, new Bilstein shocks, UPR CC plates, lowering springs, Scott Drake 8.8 Girdle, BMR upper/lower control arms, TF 50 oz. balancer, and a few other parts I planned to install on my car after I got my car up an running up the Terminator X. My buddy and I planned on doing these suspension mods for months and honestly all I want to do is just cruise in the car during the summer. This car has been in the garage for a while whilst I buy new parts for it, not just the new ECU, suspension, I also re-did the whole ignition system with DUI Hot Forged parts. At this point i'm ready to just bolt everything back together and be able to enjoy driving it before taking on another project. It's been months since the car has moved from my garage.
Let me know when you want to cruise I'm always with my foxbody group there are good 8-10 of us that are always out.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Let me know when you want to cruise I'm always with my foxbody group there are good 8-10 of us that are always out.

My friend and I would definitely be down. He also has an 86 GT, but it has an 03 Cobra IRS, Baer brakes all around, DSS 331 stroker, TF R-series intake, TF 170s, Pro-M EFI stand-alone ECU, BBK shorties, O/R H, Bassani C/B, and a bunch of other goodies. Actually, it was because of him I bought my 86 GT. I grew up goin to track and working on my Dad's 86 GT which he unfortunately totaled. After going through a few different Mustangs and a 13' WRX that was my DD I modded that made 308/339 which was as far as I wanted to go since my first car was my 99' GT I had in high school. Bone stock, well I went full bolt-ons, then N2O, then a Vortech S-Trim, then a turbo kit from a company that's no longer around called PTK with a 67mm garrett turbo, forged SB, and I also did an 03 Cobra IRS swap on that car. I didn't want my DD to turn into what my Mustang became. Unfortunately I totaled my WRX (I guess it runs in the family lol).

Well, my buddy bought a 86 GT from a guy that already did most of the mods I listed and literally just gave him around $4-$5k in aftermarket parts. My friend said the guy just wanted to get rid of the car and anything that would be meant for it. The car he bought is Light Regatta Blue, same color that my Dad's 86 GT was. After that, I knew I had to buy an 86 GT. It took me quite a while to find the right one since I was looking for an 86 and not an 87-93. I really wanted a four eye. I ended up picking up a Dark Gray Metallic 86 GT that wasn't the car I originally wanted. I wanted more of a mismatched colored body panel car with maybe a not so great interior, but had a 331/347 stroker with a TKO or T56 in it, but the car I found was completely rust free, the underneath was excellent, albeit a bit dirty, but the paint was pretty clean and it had the TF top end kit and chrome 17" pony wheels, so it looked nice and I talked him down in price quite a bit since I had cash in hand. Just because my buddy bought an 86 GT didn't make me get the same model year. I was already going to pick one up, I just had no idea when, but once my buddy got his 86, he basically decided for me that is was time to pick one up lol.

Sorry for the long post, but my father recently passed away, and I had the best memories a kid could have with his Dad going to the track every weekend, working on his 86 together. There's no better way to bond with your Dad, then doing it over cars. So this 86 GT means a lot to me, driving this car makes me feel close to my Dad, I just wish he was in the passenger seat once I get this car running again soon.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Just talked to Holley, and they are sending me the 8 to 6-pin connector adapter harness. High hopes I can get this car running this weekend.

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts