Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
What do you mean??? the holley tunes itself LOL.... Go over to the holley forums or to any of the FB pages who specialize in Holley and see how untrue that really is.
I'm not on FB but i do read the Holley forums.
Just out of curiosity, are you running a Holley system? What problems have you had?
I'm hoping i don't have too many problems lol. I'm just taking my time trying to make sure everything is installed correctly.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
What do you mean??? the holley tunes itself LOL.... Go over to the holley forums or to any of the FB pages who specialize in Holley and see how untrue that really is.
Fwiw we did a terminator x max on a 78 corvette with a 6.0 ls and 4l80e. Once we set the throttle blade it did tune itself. Just used the handheld and drive the car around.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Seems like some people have problems and some people don't.
Thats my point. It seems to really depend on the combination. I dont personally have a Holley but I have a few friends with it. One of my friends has issues with what sounds like transient fueling and tip in (based on his description of the problems) while another swears it just tunes itself and works great which is pretty much par for the course for any tuning application. I think it really depends on how mild or wild the application is. I am helping my friend build a fox with a twin turbo 'yote and its using a termi X to control it and shooting for 7s. Im looking forward to getting my hands on it so I can get first hand experience with tuning a Holley.

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Fwiw we did a terminator x max on a 78 corvette with a 6.0 ls and 4l80e. Once we set the throttle blade it did tune itself. Just used the handheld and drive the car around.
My best friend swears by them and says the same thing. He owns a shop here in town and has installed a couple of them on stock LS swap cars with good results apparently. At this point, im basing my opinion on what I have seen on the forums but I will be getting first hand experience with them so my opinion might change. With all tuning, it comes down to setting up the initial parameters correctly and I wonder if people who have issues arent getting them setup correctly to begin with which is where the problems come from. That is of course speculation.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
42 Posts
short term fuel trims seek out target afrs. long term trims can then be incorporated into the base fuel map. its not complicated. of course everything else must be optimized. the semantics of this is tired...

·
Registered
351 Posts
You can't "just use the handheld" on the fox system because Holley didn't set up the IAC output. It needs assigned from a laptop.

Also, the Holley struggles with Ford PWM IAC control and the TFI is sketchy too. They were supposed to be working with Matt to sort these out. It works much better with a Holley Dual Sync. These issues mostly affect drivability and idle control. If you play with it long enough you can dial it it. You need to build a proper timing table for the Ford. Matt has a good video where he compares the Ford table to Holley's. There is another one that addresses manual transmission specific which is good. Fix this first and everything is much improved. not sure if other systems have this kind of flexibility.

The Holley only learns fuel. The laptop helps you see what it is doing with fuel and accept its changes into the tune. It does not tune itself.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I have read about the IAC issues, i am using the mod motor kit so hopefully i won't have issues?
Lots of people switch to GM style IAC i see.

·
Registered
351 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
You can't "just use the handheld" on the fox system because Holley didn't set up the IAC output. It needs assigned from a laptop.

Also, the Holley struggles with Ford PWM IAC control and the TFI is sketchy too. They were supposed to be working with Matt to sort these out. It works much better with a Holley Dual Sync. These issues mostly affect drivability and idle control. If you play with it long enough you can dial it it. You need to build a proper timing table for the Ford. Matt has a good video where he compares the Ford table to Holley's. There is another one that addresses manual transmission specific which is good. Fix this first and everything is much improved. not sure if other systems have this kind of flexibility.

The Holley only learns fuel. The laptop helps you see what it is doing with fuel and accept its changes into the tune. It does not tune itself.
Yes, but that doesn’t change the experience we had with our ls. We ran the wizard and it just worked.

I can’t speak for the Holley sbf stuff. With fords and the several megasquirts I’ve done I always just set the throttle blade so the iac duty is low (10-15%) at hot idle and let the closed loop rpm control just do it’s thing. That’s pretty much how the Holley reacted on the ls.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
so the price of the term x plus $250 for the adapter plus the price of a gm iac plus the price of having remote tuning done or bringing it to to a reputable tuner is probably equal if not more than a base model pro m without the cop upgrade.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
is that a required part for tuning a fox? not being a s.a. but i had nothing but idle problems with the Holley no matter what I did.
No, I'm using the Ford IAC.

The only IAC issue I'm working on is there is a slight 10% blip for a few milliseconds that occurs when I transition to 0% TPS. There are some hidden PIDS/Tables that I can't access or find to eliminate this issue. It's nothing major, but it is something I'd like to have the ability to eliminate. I talked with one of the trainers/on site tuners at Holley while I was at LS fest. I've e-mailed him everything and he said he'd get back to me in a week or so. It reminds of of SCT's Advantage III. They have several levels of access. I don't see how switching IAC's will change this, it's not the hardware doing this on it's own. It's being commanded to.

KJB, you still have to spend $300-400 on a good MAF as well for a pro-m system. It's pretty easy to get to 3 grand, as compared to $1200 + $80 map sensor (if boosted). You seem to be so hung up on paying someone to tune. I guess if you're in the middle of a corn field and don't know **** (or want to) about tuning I can see huge pro-m advantages. But around here I can rent a dyno along with a competent tuner for 125-200$ an hour. Regardless, every system has extra costs, I mean this is hot rodding, it's not one and done. It never is! I'm glad I didn't get a Pro-M system just because of association with the superiority complex of it's users. Ya'll remind me of the middle age dude that buys a Ferrari, pulls it out of the trailer, puffs chest at the drivers meeting, and gets lapped by a 30 year old ****box and/or puts the car into the tire wall. Same team here, different ways to blow something up.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
so the price of the term x plus $250 for the adapter plus the price of a gm iac plus the price of having remote tuning done or bringing it to to a reputable tuner is probably equal if not more than a base model pro m without the cop upgrade.
You can buy the accufab adaptor by itself with a stepper motor for half that, but you don’t even have to do that… or take it to a tuner lol.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I'm not sure why every non prom thread, gets turned into a prom is superior thread?

You seem to think the prom is "high end". Sorry to disappoint you, but not even close. If you really want to get serious, look at the "real systems". I bet most here couldn't afford it.

It's funny how my speed density system can't compute load. If it couldn't, the a/f wouldn't be consistent. Guess what, it is consistent. It uses all the sensor inputs to calculate load. And it's repeatable.

KB302, I'm curious if you had any issues installing your prom?

Sorry ip, that this thread got derailed like all the others with the typical non sense.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm not sure why every non prom thread, gets turned into a prom is superior thread?

You seem to think the prom is "high end". Sorry to disappoint you, but not even close. If you really want to get serious, look at the "real systems". I bet most here couldn't afford it.

It's funny how my speed density system can't compute load. If it couldn't, the a/f wouldn't be consistent. Guess what, it is consistent. It uses all the sensor inputs to calculate load. And it's repeatable.

Sorry ip, that this thread got derailed like all the others with the typical non sense.
Not my intention. Load and Volumetric Efficiency are not the same thing. That's all I was saying. I never claimed one was better.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts

as a complete noob, I had issues. because i was doing a 351w swap, fuel system, and efi swap in the course of a week. it wasn't until a few years later after the term x first hit the market when i installed one another friends car. this was after I was more than comfortable with the pro m. after spending A LOT of time with the system he pulled the plug and took out the Holley and I sold it.

point isnt that one is superior to another, that comes down to needs and wants and mechanical ability. I bought the pro m because it said plug and play and didn't want a tuner raping me $1000. aka didn't have easy access to a tuner/dyno nor the time to have it done. For the most part, and LOTS of engine combos put together without the need to consult,rent a tuner or dyno realizing if i didnt rush and read directions the system has been very good to me.

So when I go on the forums and research Holley with all their followers, there is a lot of help put there NOW. Because there are people like I was who think they know more or better than the system.

The Holley system needs proper directions on fuel system design, starting, charging, grounding etc. these were the problems I had most when first installing the pro m. When I had mastered the basics, going from engine to engine was easy.

·
Registered
87 Gt Holley Terminator, Systemax 2, TW 170cc, N41, Powerdyne, 3:73
404 Posts
I have a ford iac and tps but a Holley 3bar map sensor which is like a gm map sensor. Obviously the connectors need to be changed for the ford components but no big deal.

41 - 60 of 128 Posts