Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
The real white95!
900 Posts
100% yes.

Holley EFI is a great choice and is very flexible. Should you decide to engine swap to, say, a Coyote layer on just buy the Coyote harnesses. The ECU remains! Holley Tech support is really good and there are a couple of good groups on FB dedicated to Holley tuning.

I’ve had great success with my Holley HP and it has been in my car for three engines.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Anyways, I went searching this morning after a few retailers that said they had stock, actually didn't, and I was able to find AFM still had stock of the Holley Terminator X set-up for Fox Body 302s, so I went ahead and made the purchase. They were charging a couple hundred more than I intended to pay, but they didn't charge tax and only $10 for shipping. The other places I was going to order from charge tax and the end price would have been only $100 less, so it's not that much I would be saving. I'm just happy I was able to order the Holley Terminator X while I still can.
I am not familiar with AFM, can you share a link? Also, I'm confused why you wouldn't purchase the unit from a vendor with a lower total cost, can you share who that/those vendors were? I was going to wait to get my fox terminator until my motor was back from the machine shop later this summer but I guess I shouldn't wait now, appreciate the heads up about the units being discontinued.

As for the Quarterhorse, I tried it for years with my simple GT40/e303 306 but it kicked my ass. Even paid Decipha for help years ago (he was very patient) but I think my original '92 wiring harness was just causing gremlin after gremlin. I wish I could have got it to work but I think the Holley Terminator X, with its included harness, will hopefully put those issues behind me.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I received my Terminator X max a couple weeks ago.
I was using 1994 ECM and SCT chip, car would either start and run perfect, or overfuel and stall. I was chasing my tail trying to diagnose the problem, when all i wanted to do is drive the car.
The moates/tweecer stuff is cheaper, but the learning curve is steep and not many tuners around here that i would trust to tune the old stuff.
The term x max solves a few problems for me, new ECM and wiring, can control the trans, has a display, and can tune the car. Also can handle future upgrades as well which I have planned.
I'm taking my time installing it, i had to replace a bunch of sensors as i was still using 1994 sensors and the Holley harness connectors would not fit. MAP and coolant temp are all that need connected for the engine, then can start working on the trans wiring.

I'm glad i ordered when i did, writing seems to be on the wall for this type of equipment. I'm excited to get the car up and running again so i can drive it!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I received my Terminator X max a couple weeks ago.
I was using 1994 ECM and SCT chip, car would either start and run perfect, or overfuel and stall. I was chasing my tail trying to diagnose the problem, when all i wanted to do is drive the car.
The moates/tweecer stuff is cheaper, but the learning curve is steep and not many tuners around here that i would trust to tune the old stuff.
The term x max solves a few problems for me, new ECM and wiring, can control the trans, has a display, and can tune the car. Also can handle future upgrades as well which I have planned.
I'm taking my time installing it, i had to replace a bunch of sensors as i was still using 1994 sensors and the Holley harness connectors would not fit. MAP and coolant temp are all that need connected for the engine, then can start working on the trans wiring.

I'm glad i ordered when i did, writing seems to be on the wall for this type of equipment. I'm excited to get the car up and running again so i can drive it!
Sounds like bad caps in the ECU.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I am not familiar with AFM, can you share a link? Also, I'm confused why you wouldn't purchase the unit from a vendor with a lower total cost, can you share who that/those vendors were? I was going to wait to get my fox terminator until my motor was back from the machine shop later this summer but I guess I shouldn't wait now, appreciate the heads up about the units being discontinued.

As for the Quarterhorse, I tried it for years with my simple GT40/e303 306 but it kicked my ass. Even paid Decipha for help years ago (he was very patient) but I think my original '92 wiring harness was just causing gremlin after gremlin. I wish I could have got it to work but I think the Holley Terminator X, with its included harness, will hopefully put those issues behind me.

The reason is because I called other vendors that were cheaper like CJponyparts that had it is for just about $1,180, they said he item ships in 3 weeks from the bvvendor, being Holley. I talked to Holley about an hour prior to ordering it and they told me it was discontinued due to Government/EPA cracking down hard on these kind of systems, and for some reason were especially hard on the Fox market, I claled about 6 different places that said they had it i stock, and each one said, no, they didn't have it anymore. Plus when I called Holley and talked to a pretty knowledgeable rep., he said even they had none in stock for the 302/351 based systems. So that's why I called each place to make sure they actually had the item in-stock. Lethal Performance doesn't show it on their site, but I called them and they don't have it, Summit or Jegs doesn't have it either. VMP tuning doesn't have it either, LMR clearly says it's out of stock on their site, AM doesn't even carry it, there was a place on Amazon that carried it, but I just had an odd feeling about the place since i've never heard of them, local tuners didn't have it either, so when I found out AFM had it, even though it was a bit more pricey, I jumped at the opportunity to purchase it. Plus they don't charge tax and only $10 for shipping. So I really chrcked around since I didn't want to pay their price, but they had it, so I was like, what the hell, and. bought it. I was going to get it later, but Holly has none in-stock and whatever you can find it what you'll get. There's also a big forum on Holley just dedicated for the 302 kit.

Here's the link to 302/351/460 kit and you can obviously adjust it for a stroker or blower...

·
Registered
87 Gt Holley Terminator, Systemax 2, TW 170cc, N41, Powerdyne, 3:73
404 Posts
I contacted Holley this morning to confirm the the dire stock/discontinuation of the Terminator X and the guy I was talking to confirmed it. He told me the government was cracking down hard on things like this, which I already knew about some performance parts, which I first saw with the disappearance of the O/R H/X pipes quite a while ago, and then other items that weren't that hardcore pollution emitting aftermarket pieces just up and disappeared, and even items that weren't even really related to the engine and the end product of multiple carbon deposits which puzzled me, but the government/EPA tends to make no sense in what their end decisions tend to be while they ignore or are paid offf to look the other way on issues that really affect the whole pollution issue.

Anyways, I went searching this morning after a few retailers that said they had stock, actually didn't, and I was able to find AFM still had stock of the Holley Terminator X set-up for Fox Body 302s, so I went ahead and made the purchase. They were charging a couple hundred more than I intended to pay, but they didn't charge tax and only $10 for shipping. The other places I was going to order from charge tax and the end price would have been only $100 less, so it's not that much I would be saving. I'm just happy I was able to order the Holley Terminator X while I still can.
That’s crazy not sure how not selling an ecm set up saves the planet lol but I guess they have it all figured out. I’ve had the terminator on my car for over 2 years and have no complaints it’s also nice having the hand held monitor for spot on gauge info in the palm of your hand with no tacky gauge pods

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Start up tune is simply done by the wizard via hand held if you want to. Some folks like to go a bit deeper to get started off. I wish ya'll would realize nothing is automatic and all knowing. At this point it's comical ignorance.

Straight from Pro-M's site.... Same thing as going into the Holley wizard and it builds a tune. Wait, additional fee? You mean... like.... paying someone to input parameters to optimize a combination!??!?!?!

"The new Pro-M EFI PCM will be shipped with the “tune” pre-installed. The customer need only enter some basic information about their specific application. These parameters can also be entered here at Pro-M for an additional fee if the customer desires. This tune will run virtually any engine right out of the box. "

·
Registered
503 Posts
Start up tune is simply done by the wizard via hand held if you want to. Some folks like to go a bit deeper to get started off. I wish ya'll would realize nothing is automatic and all knowing. At this point it's comical ignorance.

Straight from Pro-M's site.... Same thing as going into the Holley wizard and it builds a tune. Wait, additional fee? You mean... like.... paying someone to input parameters to optimize a combination!??!?!?!

"The new Pro-M EFI PCM will be shipped with the “tune” pre-installed. The customer need only enter some basic information about their specific application. These parameters can also be entered here at Pro-M for an additional fee if the customer desires. This tune will run virtually any engine right out of the box. "
That’s not quite accurate. Entry of the parameters isn’t to optimize the combination. Entry of the parameters is an absolute necessity to get the car to run right at all.

I agree this is silly. Optimizing the combo requires tuning no matter the system.

I really don’t want to get involved further than saying the difference comes down to a mass air system knowing load and a Holley system won’t.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I really don’t want to get involved further than saying the difference comes down to a mass air system knowing load and a Holley system won’t.
How do you figure this?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Because Load is mathematically calculated from the displacement of the engine, the mass of the air entering the engine, and RPM. A mass air system has all three. A speed density system does not.
No, in a mass air system load is calculated that way. A speed density system just does it differently. Saying insert sd system here does not have a way of knowing load makes no sense.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
You don’t know what you’re talking about.
I guess When my efi running speed density is at 100% load it’s just a lie.

A sd system does indeed calculate load, it just does it differently than a maf based system. I don’t know why that’s so tough to grasp.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
What do you mean??? the holley tunes itself LOL.... Go over to the holley forums or to any of the FB pages who specialize in Holley and see how untrue that really is.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts