Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Because Load is mathematically calculated from the displacement of the engine, the mass of the air entering the engine, and RPM. A mass air system has all three. A speed density system does not.
No, in a mass air system load is calculated that way. A speed density system just does it differently. Saying insert sd system here does not have a way of knowing load makes no sense.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
You don’t know what you’re talking about.
I guess When my efi running speed density is at 100% load it’s just a lie.

A sd system does indeed calculate load, it just does it differently than a maf based system. I don’t know why that’s so tough to grasp.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
What do you mean??? the holley tunes itself LOL.... Go over to the holley forums or to any of the FB pages who specialize in Holley and see how untrue that really is.
Fwiw we did a terminator x max on a 78 corvette with a 6.0 ls and 4l80e. Once we set the throttle blade it did tune itself. Just used the handheld and drive the car around.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
You can't "just use the handheld" on the fox system because Holley didn't set up the IAC output. It needs assigned from a laptop.

Also, the Holley struggles with Ford PWM IAC control and the TFI is sketchy too. They were supposed to be working with Matt to sort these out. It works much better with a Holley Dual Sync. These issues mostly affect drivability and idle control. If you play with it long enough you can dial it it. You need to build a proper timing table for the Ford. Matt has a good video where he compares the Ford table to Holley's. There is another one that addresses manual transmission specific which is good. Fix this first and everything is much improved. not sure if other systems have this kind of flexibility.

The Holley only learns fuel. The laptop helps you see what it is doing with fuel and accept its changes into the tune. It does not tune itself.
Yes, but that doesn’t change the experience we had with our ls. We ran the wizard and it just worked.

I can’t speak for the Holley sbf stuff. With fords and the several megasquirts I’ve done I always just set the throttle blade so the iac duty is low (10-15%) at hot idle and let the closed loop rpm control just do it’s thing. That’s pretty much how the Holley reacted on the ls.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
so the price of the term x plus $250 for the adapter plus the price of a gm iac plus the price of having remote tuning done or bringing it to to a reputable tuner is probably equal if not more than a base model pro m without the cop upgrade.
You can buy the accufab adaptor by itself with a stepper motor for half that, but you don’t even have to do that… or take it to a tuner lol.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Not my intention. Load and Volumetric Efficiency are not the same thing. That's all I was saying. I never claimed one was better.
You said the Holley has no way of knowing load, why though? Does the definition of knowing load only apply to systems that run maf?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
It's really hard to decide. And people who already chose an aftermarket ECU will say whatever system they are using is best.

Trying to educate myself as much as I can. ProM folks seem to swear by it but have to sort out fact from confirmation bias.

I'm considering going COP which also helps clean up the engine bay wiring as another consideration.
True. Everyone wants to think the decision they made was the best possible one.

I don’t run a Holley on my personal car, but we have don’t ls swaps in other cars and ran one and they have been flawless.

Personally I like the pimpxs I have. At the time it was (in my opinion) the best option as far as money was concerned in regard to what I needed as I/o. This was before the I/o harness was out for the term x, but it’s still comparable.

It all comes down to what do you NEED now, and what do you see yourself needing in the future. If someone a dash that’s can support digital screen and configurable I/o then I know what direction I’d be looking to go. Far as plug and play stuff goes I’m sure the pro-m is great, but imo you’re somewhat limited to other things that I want, that others might not care for.

If I could do it all again, one and done, I’d put fueltech on the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts