Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Every engine combination is different, to just throw in the same set of tables and say it's optimal for everything is ridiculous. IDGAF what system you're using, Holley, Motec, Haltec, AEM, Pro-M, Jesus Tune, MS3, ect... You can make anything "run good" if you numb things down enough. Hell, we ran a single turbo 408cid 700hp car with a stock untuned A9L no problem. But it was far from optimal.

I've been very happy with the TermX. I have put some time into it. I've enjoyed learning the aspects of tuning it. (I started with a Tweecer/Quarterhorse on an A9L) The end all is better than any of the stuff people here run. The part I really like is that as a community I can get help pretty much anytime from other users. The Holley EFI FB group has over 32 THOUSAND members. I have local friends with the same systems to bounce idea's off. So far I've put about 8,000 miles on mine. I take my kid to school and commute to work in the summer. I run open track sessions, drag, and auto-x. Pretty much just beat the hell out of the car any chance I get. One pro I've really liked is the ability to data log straight to the SD card on the 3.5" touch screen display. I'm glad it ditched the MAF.

That being said, honestly, with the setup your mentioning, spend $250 and get a Moates Quarter Horse, then have your tuner tune it. This will give you the ability to make any changes you want down the road yourself especially for drivability stuff. Unless you a planning a build that will go outside the processing abilities (7000+ rpm) of the A9L stay with it. Chip burning is a huge thing of the past, it's also very costly. If you want to make one slight change you have to have the chip completely reburnt. The support network for the QH are pretty good. Mathew Harris at Leech Motorsports has a ton of good videos and there are a couple of good online forums/fb groups as well. Cost per control, it's the best bang/buck for a typical SBF street build, but it can have a steep learning curve because there are a gazillion tables/scalars. Also another perk of this is keeping your emissions items and compliancy.

There ya go, Way overkill answer from a "do it or don't" question. :ROFLMAO:

P.S. Yes, Holley is discontinuing the "F" systems. They have a longer harness and bracket to mount the ECU under the passenger seat. Also the Ford specific IAC plug pigtail is installed and pinned. The standard 550-937 & 550-943 systems will still work great.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Most people can tune a stock computer with more than adequate results. For 250 you can buy a qh and time it yourself. Unless you need specific features the Holley offers, i don't see the point.
Agreed, got pretty far for 12 years with a tweecer/binary editor setup. It wasn’t until this recent build I needed to up the game. Plus I really wanted to ditch the 30 year old wiring.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Start up tune is simply done by the wizard via hand held if you want to. Some folks like to go a bit deeper to get started off. I wish ya'll would realize nothing is automatic and all knowing. At this point it's comical ignorance.

Straight from Pro-M's site.... Same thing as going into the Holley wizard and it builds a tune. Wait, additional fee? You mean... like.... paying someone to input parameters to optimize a combination!??!?!?!

"The new Pro-M EFI PCM will be shipped with the “tune” pre-installed. The customer need only enter some basic information about their specific application. These parameters can also be entered here at Pro-M for an additional fee if the customer desires. This tune will run virtually any engine right out of the box. "

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
is that a required part for tuning a fox? not being a s.a. but i had nothing but idle problems with the Holley no matter what I did.
No, I'm using the Ford IAC.

The only IAC issue I'm working on is there is a slight 10% blip for a few milliseconds that occurs when I transition to 0% TPS. There are some hidden PIDS/Tables that I can't access or find to eliminate this issue. It's nothing major, but it is something I'd like to have the ability to eliminate. I talked with one of the trainers/on site tuners at Holley while I was at LS fest. I've e-mailed him everything and he said he'd get back to me in a week or so. It reminds of of SCT's Advantage III. They have several levels of access. I don't see how switching IAC's will change this, it's not the hardware doing this on it's own. It's being commanded to.

KJB, you still have to spend $300-400 on a good MAF as well for a pro-m system. It's pretty easy to get to 3 grand, as compared to $1200 + $80 map sensor (if boosted). You seem to be so hung up on paying someone to tune. I guess if you're in the middle of a corn field and don't know **** (or want to) about tuning I can see huge pro-m advantages. But around here I can rent a dyno along with a competent tuner for 125-200$ an hour. Regardless, every system has extra costs, I mean this is hot rodding, it's not one and done. It never is! I'm glad I didn't get a Pro-M system just because of association with the superiority complex of it's users. Ya'll remind me of the middle age dude that buys a Ferrari, pulls it out of the trailer, puffs chest at the drivers meeting, and gets lapped by a 30 year old ****box and/or puts the car into the tire wall. Same team here, different ways to blow something up.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
The Holley system needs proper directions on fuel system design, starting, charging, grounding etc. these were the problems I had most when first installing the pro m. When I had mastered the basics, going from engine to engine was easy.
Their directions are fantastic, tons of diagrams too. Including the very things you mention. Problem is most people do not read them. There's also a ton of videos on Youtube produced by Holley and some of it's heavy influencers.

Reactions: GreyGhost86

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
I've had a Holley HP on four different combos--347 with a YSI, stock NA 302, HCI 302 w/turbo, and 363 with turbo. Cams from mild to wild. The Ford PWM IAC and TFI ran them all with no issues.

Out of curiosity, boredom, and to free up an input for the future, I installed a GM IAC on the 363. No difference.
Manual trans? Did you street drive a lot or mostly track?

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Yeah, I've been that dingus on my own car. I can't even remember what I did to the wiring and pins in the past, I've had the car since the mid-90s and at some point, I added a wide-band, tried switching to a SN95 ECU (I think), switched back to the X3Z EEC-IV (I think), etc. Before I yanked the motor in 2016 for bad bearings, I was chasing gremlins and check engine lights, having problems with tunes, getting frustrated with quarterhorse and binary editor, etc. To hell with all that, hoping the Holley unit makes running my rebuilt engine a piece of cake. fingers crossed
The #2 reason I did the TermX was that a new OEM wiring harness alone was like $600 at the time. After 30 years mine was brittle, full of repairs, broke connectors, adding a wideband via EVAP ect.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Ditching the TFI itself gets rid of TFI problems. Can do that with any of the modern systems. I installed my TermX with a dual sync. I was so thrilled to ditch TFI and sell the extra TFI modules I had laying around as spares.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts