Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
A chip and a tune is going to be your cheapest option. If you're not going to be changing the combo up a lot in the future, that is a good choice. The Holley is a great system if you know how to tune. if you don't, you're going to have to pay someone to do it for you on top of the initial cost of the Holley.

For a simple h/c na setup I'd stick with the stock computer.
A chip and a tune is going to be your cheapest option. If you're not going to be changing the combo up a lot in the future, that is a good choice. The Holley is a great system if you know how to tune. if you don't, you're going to have to pay someone to do it for you on top of the initial cost of the Holley.

For a simple h/c na setup I'd stick with the stock computer.
hopefully you have a quality tuner thats able to pick up on things wrong with your car that you thought was correct. things like vacuum leaks, fuel pressure, fuel system design spark plugs, charging system, starting system bad connections, battery cables, engine venting systems often go overlooked. some just take your money, install a Holley and not gaf. others take their time to see if your build actually will benefit from aftermarket efi system.

Youd be surprised how well your setup will run if everything is properly functioning. might not even need a toon. any questions pm me. Doesn't matter what system you go with, the basics are the same. gl

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Pro-M is worth every penny, fired my tuner many moons ago, sounds like your on a budget, good luck, here is what my car does without paying someone to tune it...

427w Twin Turbo
E85 (true flex fuel, pump whatever the hell I want, whenever I want without touching the tune)
Nitrous Control
Water/Meth Control
Boost Control
Traction Control
Launch Control
Individual coils

Did I mention yet that this setup required no tuning...

View attachment 1085853
All that is included with the pro m. not to mention that the harness is a direct replacement for your year mustang, the ecm can be mounted in the engine compartment (not fox body specific) and all the connections are OEM.

you definitely get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Call Matt Harrison at Leech Motorsports before you install the Holley. He can give you the pointers you need and even send you a startup tune and remote revisions to get you going. You will need a laptop to set up IAC, can't just use the handheld for that.
whats a startup tune and remote revisions?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I'm guessing like a base-file tune and basic parameters you should set to help you get started.
that might be helpful since more than likely its going to be brought to a tuner.

The tuners over here get just about $1000 to tune an aftermarket efi. I have no idea what they cost where you plan on going.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
so the price of the term x plus $250 for the adapter plus the price of a gm iac plus the price of having remote tuning done or bringing it to to a reputable tuner is probably equal if not more than a base model pro m without the cop upgrade.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I'm not sure why every non prom thread, gets turned into a prom is superior thread?

You seem to think the prom is "high end". Sorry to disappoint you, but not even close. If you really want to get serious, look at the "real systems". I bet most here couldn't afford it.

It's funny how my speed density system can't compute load. If it couldn't, the a/f wouldn't be consistent. Guess what, it is consistent. It uses all the sensor inputs to calculate load. And it's repeatable.

KB302, I'm curious if you had any issues installing your prom?

Sorry ip, that this thread got derailed like all the others with the typical non sense.
as a complete noob, I had issues. because i was doing a 351w swap, fuel system, and efi swap in the course of a week. it wasn't until a few years later after the term x first hit the market when i installed one another friends car. this was after I was more than comfortable with the pro m. after spending A LOT of time with the system he pulled the plug and took out the Holley and I sold it.

point isnt that one is superior to another, that comes down to needs and wants and mechanical ability. I bought the pro m because it said plug and play and didn't want a tuner raping me $1000. aka didn't have easy access to a tuner/dyno nor the time to have it done. For the most part, and LOTS of engine combos put together without the need to consult,rent a tuner or dyno realizing if i didnt rush and read directions the system has been very good to me.

So when I go on the forums and research Holley with all their followers, there is a lot of help put there NOW. Because there are people like I was who think they know more or better than the system.

The Holley system needs proper directions on fuel system design, starting, charging, grounding etc. these were the problems I had most when first installing the pro m. When I had mastered the basics, going from engine to engine was easy.

1 - 12 of 13 Posts