Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have an 86 GT with A9L ECU, no tuning chips like the Quarterhorse or TwEEcer. I was talking to my tuner and he said he could install an SCT chip for $249 and then charge for 2-3 hours of tuning. I used him in the past to tune my Vortech 99 GT.

Over the winter I spent close to $2k on suspension parts since the previous owner literally didn't do a single suspension mod to the car. I'll be buying my best friend's wife's cousin DSS 331 stoker longblock for close for $3k, but he wants to get rid of it since he sold his Fox and I think I can buy it for around $2500. It has TFS 185 heads which I don't think they make anymore, TFS twisted wedge flycut pistons, and more. It's completely built and running.

Anyways, i'm tired of running the A9L ECU and thinking about chipping it. I want full and total control, so I am convinced of buying the Holley Terminator X stand alone set-up and I haven't heard anything but stellar reviews of it. I was considering the MS PnP 2.0, but fully loaded, the price is $1049 and I can purchase the Holley Terminator X for $1,180. I figure for $131.00 extra for what is considered one of, if not the best stand alone system is barely an inconvenience. It will be installed on my mild build TFS top end kit Fox, but will really come in handy once the 331 stroker is installed.

Is the Holley Terminator X all it's cracked up to be? I have friends with Fox Bodies that absolutely love the system.

Another friend has a Pro-M set-up, but there's no way i'm spending that kind of money of that system. His car came with it when he bought it, so it's not like he shelled out that kind of money on the Pro-M set-up, which I also hear is excellent, but damn, that a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I contacted Holley this morning to confirm the the dire stock/discontinuation of the Terminator X and the guy I was talking to confirmed it. He told me the government was cracking down hard on things like this, which I already knew about some performance parts, which I first saw with the disappearance of the O/R H/X pipes quite a while ago, and then other items that weren't that hardcore pollution emitting aftermarket pieces just up and disappeared, and even items that weren't even really related to the engine and the end product of multiple carbon deposits which puzzled me, but the government/EPA tends to make no sense in what their end decisions tend to be while they ignore or are paid offf to look the other way on issues that really affect the whole pollution issue.

Anyways, I went searching this morning after a few retailers that said they had stock, actually didn't, and I was able to find AFM still had stock of the Holley Terminator X set-up for Fox Body 302s, so I went ahead and made the purchase. They were charging a couple hundred more than I intended to pay, but they didn't charge tax and only $10 for shipping. The other places I was going to order from charge tax and the end price would have been only $100 less, so it's not that much I would be saving. I'm just happy I was able to order the Holley Terminator X while I still can.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Every engine combination is different, to just throw in the same set of tables and say it's optimal for everything is ridiculous. IDGAF what system you're using, Holley, Motec, Haltec, AEM, Pro-M, Jesus Tune, MS3, ect... You can make anything "run good" if you numb things down enough. Hell, we ran a single turbo 408cid 700hp car with a stock untuned A9L no problem. But it was far from optimal.

I've been very happy with the TermX. I have put some time into it. I've enjoyed learning the aspects of tuning it. (I started with a Tweecer/Quarterhorse on an A9L) The end all is better than any of the stuff people here run. The part I really like is that as a community I can get help pretty much anytime from other users. The Holley EFI FB group has over 32 THOUSAND members. I have local friends with the same systems to bounce idea's off. So far I've put about 8,000 miles on mine. I take my kid to school and commute to work in the summer. I run open track sessions, drag, and auto-x. Pretty much just beat the hell out of the car any chance I get. One pro I've really liked is the ability to data log straight to the SD card on the 3.5" touch screen display. I'm glad it ditched the MAF.

That being said, honestly, with the setup your mentioning, spend $250 and get a Moates Quarter Horse, then have your tuner tune it. This will give you the ability to make any changes you want down the road yourself especially for drivability stuff. Unless you a planning a build that will go outside the processing abilities (7000+ rpm) of the A9L stay with it. Chip burning is a huge thing of the past, it's also very costly. If you want to make one slight change you have to have the chip completely reburnt. The support network for the QH are pretty good. Mathew Harris at Leech Motorsports has a ton of good videos and there are a couple of good online forums/fb groups as well. Cost per control, it's the best bang/buck for a typical SBF street build, but it can have a steep learning curve because there are a gazillion tables/scalars. Also another perk of this is keeping your emissions items and compliancy.

There ya go, Way overkill answer from a "do it or don't" question. :ROFLMAO:

P.S. Yes, Holley is discontinuing the "F" systems. They have a longer harness and bracket to mount the ECU under the passenger seat. Also the Ford specific IAC plug pigtail is installed and pinned. The standard 550-937 & 550-943 systems will still work great.

I appreciate your post! As for my car now, it's a mild 302. Mid to end of the summer though I am installing a DSS 331 stroker longblock, TFS 185 64 cc heads (which I don't think they make anymore), Moroso Oil Pan, TFS flycut forged piston kit, TFS 1.6 roller rockers, BBK shorty headers. all ARP head studs and bolts, Fel-Pro head and intake gaskets, TFS alignment dowels, TFS pushrods, block was bored .30 over and honed, stoker kit was professionally installed by a local shop, FMS valve covers, and a bunch of other stuff i'm forgetting. I'm going to place my black TFS valve covers, TFS Track Heat upper/lower manifold, and a few other things from my engine I think are a better option/looks better. Since it's my best friend's wife's cousin, he's willing to cut me a steal of a deal for it.

I really want to keep this car N/A since my other Mustangs have all been turned into a forced induction ride. My WRX obviously came turbocharged and I spent a good chunk of change tastefully modding it and the car was a blast to drive as my DD and the car was unstoppable with winter tires when it snowed here. I'm referring to the one year in particular we got hit with a blizzard with 6ft of snow and the car roamed the barely plowed streets with ease. Truly my best DD i've ever owned. That was a bit off topic, but I adored this car as my DD.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Call Matt Harrison at Leech Motorsports before you install the Holley. He can give you the pointers you need and even send you a startup tune and remote revisions to get you going. You will need a laptop to set up IAC, can't just use the handheld for that.

Thanks, much appreciated! Any help with this Holley set-up is welcome. After 1 year and 5 months of owning this car, this is the most expensive single purchase i've made for it. After installing this, I can't wait to install all the suspension parts I have for this car.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
whats a startup tune and remote revisions?
I'm guessing like a base-file tune and basic parameters you should set to help you get started.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I am not familiar with AFM, can you share a link? Also, I'm confused why you wouldn't purchase the unit from a vendor with a lower total cost, can you share who that/those vendors were? I was going to wait to get my fox terminator until my motor was back from the machine shop later this summer but I guess I shouldn't wait now, appreciate the heads up about the units being discontinued.

As for the Quarterhorse, I tried it for years with my simple GT40/e303 306 but it kicked my ass. Even paid Decipha for help years ago (he was very patient) but I think my original '92 wiring harness was just causing gremlin after gremlin. I wish I could have got it to work but I think the Holley Terminator X, with its included harness, will hopefully put those issues behind me.

The reason is because I called other vendors that were cheaper like CJponyparts that had it is for just about $1,180, they said he item ships in 3 weeks from the bvvendor, being Holley. I talked to Holley about an hour prior to ordering it and they told me it was discontinued due to Government/EPA cracking down hard on these kind of systems, and for some reason were especially hard on the Fox market, I claled about 6 different places that said they had it i stock, and each one said, no, they didn't have it anymore. Plus when I called Holley and talked to a pretty knowledgeable rep., he said even they had none in stock for the 302/351 based systems. So that's why I called each place to make sure they actually had the item in-stock. Lethal Performance doesn't show it on their site, but I called them and they don't have it, Summit or Jegs doesn't have it either. VMP tuning doesn't have it either, LMR clearly says it's out of stock on their site, AM doesn't even carry it, there was a place on Amazon that carried it, but I just had an odd feeling about the place since i've never heard of them, local tuners didn't have it either, so when I found out AFM had it, even though it was a bit more pricey, I jumped at the opportunity to purchase it. Plus they don't charge tax and only $10 for shipping. So I really chrcked around since I didn't want to pay their price, but they had it, so I was like, what the hell, and. bought it. I was going to get it later, but Holly has none in-stock and whatever you can find it what you'll get. There's also a big forum on Holley just dedicated for the 302 kit.

Here's the link to 302/351/460 kit and you can obviously adjust it for a stroker or blower...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
On a whim, I decided to try ordering it from Summit since they showed 10 in stock. I paid the extra $21 for 2-day delivery, it arrived today. I haven't opened the box yet but the manifest lists the correct foxbody part #. Just FYI for people still looking to buy. Total price with tax and the expedited shipping was $1,395.82. Likely won't be installed until end of summer or Fall.

Damn, I called Jegs and they didn't haven't so I just thought Summit was probably in the same situation. That's $100 cheaper than I paid. Good deal man. Definitely people should order from there until they run out. Just yesterday I talked to Anderson and they told me they have about 2 months worth of stock, I don't know what exactly that means since it's not perishable and have no idea how many per month a Terminator X people consume lol. At least we know Summit and Anderson Ford has them in stock.

People should start posting where they bought their kit, if they just bought one to let other people know where kits are still in stock.

Reactions: aurdraco

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
In a way i'm happy the kits are flying off the shelves in a way and forced me to buy one sooner than I planned. As i'm taking apart my current harness, this previous owner was a complete dingus and wired everything to places to places they should be wired. I found multiple splices directly into the harness about 4 inches away from the plug into the ECU. Single twist wiring with a single piece of electrical tape connecting it. I think I may solve many electrical gremlins by getting rid of the stock ECU/harness and this guys atrocious wiring "skills."

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I ordered mine direct from Holley
Recently? I called them last week and they said they had 0 Fox Body kits in stock. They could piece it together though.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Yeah, I've been that dingus on my own car. I can't even remember what I did to the wiring and pins in the past, I've had the car since the mid-90s and at some point, I added a wide-band, tried switching to a SN95 ECU (I think), switched back to the X3Z EEC-IV (I think), etc. Before I yanked the motor in 2016 for bad bearings, I was chasing gremlins and check engine lights, having problems with tunes, getting frustrated with quarterhorse and binary editor, etc. To hell with all that, hoping the Holley unit makes running my rebuilt engine a piece of cake. fingers crossed

The guy I bought my car from had some obnoxious sound system with a custom subwoofer box in the hatch. Massive subs and Rockford Fosgate speakers. I know nothing about custom audio equipment, nor do I care about it. It looked liked relatively expensive stuff, yet the guy didn't want to shell out the money to get it professionally installed and wired. First thing I did when I got the car was remove it and I had to leave some wires connected, because like I said he connected them to to power sources you should never tap into. Now that i'm removing my harness, i'm finding where he hooked into which is easy, just look for the world's worst splicing job and a single piece of electrical tape. I have a bunch of heat shrink tubing I ordered from Jegs and then I also saw some at Harbor Freight for dirt cheap, so I figured i'd pick some up since it's always nice to have some around and makes wiring look so much cleaner.

I'll admit I did some electrical wiring shortcuts on my 99 GT, this time i'm taking my time and doing a very clean job on my 86 GT. I've just been slowly pulling wiring and labeling everything correctly. It's nice because my passenger seat is removed and since my car is in my garage, I just put plastic on my rear seat and sit on it when I get a little tired then get back on the floor carpet to work on the wiring

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·

I finally removed the stock harness. Also last week I decided my radiator sucks, so why don't I buy a 3 core one since I have to drain the old radiator anyways (I know I didn't have to drain it all out, but it gave me an excuse to buy a new one :)). I already have slim twin electric fans, so it should look nice mounted to the 3 core.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I've been taking my time and having to fix a bunch of the previous owners very strange wiring issues. The car will probably run better with just the new harness alone. There were at least 6-7 areas with the worst splicing job i've ever seen and on top this guy must have tried to splice about 1-2 inches into the wiring coming right out of the OEM harness. I guess he thought it was a mistake and put electrical tape, but on 3 different spots. Before I started the Terminator X install, I was having major idling issues. Today I went and took the provided 3 pin connector to re-wire the OEM section into the new GM style plug and when I removed pig-tail from the old harness there was just a section of the TPS wires that just had the insulator of the wire cut off. No electrical tape, or heat shrink tubing, even duct tape would be better than leaving the wire bare. A lot of problem wires were covered by the loom.

I just have to hook up some last power, ground, fuel, and I/O wires and i'll be done. I also have to put my new 3 core radiator in along and manifold.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Did anyone's kit come with a 8 to 6 pin connector adapter for the WBO2? My WB is a 6 pin square male connector and the piece coming off the harness is an 8 pin rectangular female connector. These two pieces won't fit obviously. I read the instructions and it says use the connector adapter and connect the WBO2 into the engine harness. I don't have anything like that in my kit. I only had the hose fittings, and the 3 pin connector for the TPS which I already connected.

I'm basically done and was hoping to start the car up, but I can't without this connection. I called Holley yesterday and of course I called too late and today they're closed and Memorial Day I would bet they're closed as well. I didn't miss anything in the kit, whatever was in that box I didn't misplace. I made sure to keep track of everything and listed out a map almost of what I would do next so I wouldn't forget anything and there was no extra connector in there.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
This adapter harness is no where to be found in my kit.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Yeah, I guess that's the choice. I so badly wanted to get the car together by then and have it running and start during some simple tuning like IAC ramp decay, checking fuel tables at idle and so forth. Oh well, I still need to buy a cheap Windows based laptop for tuning purposes since I don't want to run it on my Mac since it always kills my battery when I do it.

I have coil-overs, new Bilstein shocks, UPR CC plates, lowering springs, Scott Drake 8.8 Girdle, BMR upper/lower control arms, TF 50 oz. balancer, and a few other parts I planned to install on my car after I got my car up an running up the Terminator X. My buddy and I planned on doing these suspension mods for months and honestly all I want to do is just cruise in the car during the summer. This car has been in the garage for a while whilst I buy new parts for it, not just the new ECU, suspension, I also re-did the whole ignition system with DUI Hot Forged parts. At this point i'm ready to just bolt everything back together and be able to enjoy driving it before taking on another project. It's been months since the car has moved from my garage.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Let me know when you want to cruise I'm always with my foxbody group there are good 8-10 of us that are always out.

My friend and I would definitely be down. He also has an 86 GT, but it has an 03 Cobra IRS, Baer brakes all around, DSS 331 stroker, TF R-series intake, TF 170s, Pro-M EFI stand-alone ECU, BBK shorties, O/R H, Bassani C/B, and a bunch of other goodies. Actually, it was because of him I bought my 86 GT. I grew up goin to track and working on my Dad's 86 GT which he unfortunately totaled. After going through a few different Mustangs and a 13' WRX that was my DD I modded that made 308/339 which was as far as I wanted to go since my first car was my 99' GT I had in high school. Bone stock, well I went full bolt-ons, then N2O, then a Vortech S-Trim, then a turbo kit from a company that's no longer around called PTK with a 67mm garrett turbo, forged SB, and I also did an 03 Cobra IRS swap on that car. I didn't want my DD to turn into what my Mustang became. Unfortunately I totaled my WRX (I guess it runs in the family lol).

Well, my buddy bought a 86 GT from a guy that already did most of the mods I listed and literally just gave him around $4-$5k in aftermarket parts. My friend said the guy just wanted to get rid of the car and anything that would be meant for it. The car he bought is Light Regatta Blue, same color that my Dad's 86 GT was. After that, I knew I had to buy an 86 GT. It took me quite a while to find the right one since I was looking for an 86 and not an 87-93. I really wanted a four eye. I ended up picking up a Dark Gray Metallic 86 GT that wasn't the car I originally wanted. I wanted more of a mismatched colored body panel car with maybe a not so great interior, but had a 331/347 stroker with a TKO or T56 in it, but the car I found was completely rust free, the underneath was excellent, albeit a bit dirty, but the paint was pretty clean and it had the TF top end kit and chrome 17" pony wheels, so it looked nice and I talked him down in price quite a bit since I had cash in hand. Just because my buddy bought an 86 GT didn't make me get the same model year. I was already going to pick one up, I just had no idea when, but once my buddy got his 86, he basically decided for me that is was time to pick one up lol.

Sorry for the long post, but my father recently passed away, and I had the best memories a kid could have with his Dad going to the track every weekend, working on his 86 together. There's no better way to bond with your Dad, then doing it over cars. So this 86 GT means a lot to me, driving this car makes me feel close to my Dad, I just wish he was in the passenger seat once I get this car running again soon.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Just talked to Holley, and they are sending me the 8 to 6-pin connector adapter harness. High hopes I can get this car running this weekend.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts