Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I contacted Holley this morning to confirm the the dire stock/discontinuation of the Terminator X and the guy I was talking to confirmed it. He told me the government was cracking down hard on things like this, which I already knew about some performance parts, which I first saw with the disappearance of the O/R H/X pipes quite a while ago, and then other items that weren't that hardcore pollution emitting aftermarket pieces just up and disappeared, and even items that weren't even really related to the engine and the end product of multiple carbon deposits which puzzled me, but the government/EPA tends to make no sense in what their end decisions tend to be while they ignore or are paid offf to look the other way on issues that really affect the whole pollution issue.

Anyways, I went searching this morning after a few retailers that said they had stock, actually didn't, and I was able to find AFM still had stock of the Holley Terminator X set-up for Fox Body 302s, so I went ahead and made the purchase. They were charging a couple hundred more than I intended to pay, but they didn't charge tax and only $10 for shipping. The other places I was going to order from charge tax and the end price would have been only $100 less, so it's not that much I would be saving. I'm just happy I was able to order the Holley Terminator X while I still can.
Call Matt Harrison at Leech Motorsports before you install the Holley. He can give you the pointers you need and even send you a startup tune and remote revisions to get you going. You will need a laptop to set up IAC, can't just use the handheld for that.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Fwiw we did a terminator x max on a 78 corvette with a 6.0 ls and 4l80e. Once we set the throttle blade it did tune itself. Just used the handheld and drive the car around.
You can't "just use the handheld" on the fox system because Holley didn't set up the IAC output. It needs assigned from a laptop.

Also, the Holley struggles with Ford PWM IAC control and the TFI is sketchy too. They were supposed to be working with Matt to sort these out. It works much better with a Holley Dual Sync. These issues mostly affect drivability and idle control. If you play with it long enough you can dial it it. You need to build a proper timing table for the Ford. Matt has a good video where he compares the Ford table to Holley's. There is another one that addresses manual transmission specific which is good. Fix this first and everything is much improved. not sure if other systems have this kind of flexibility.

The Holley only learns fuel. The laptop helps you see what it is doing with fuel and accept its changes into the tune. It does not tune itself.

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
And the COP allows me to ditch my MSD box and coil mounted on the strut tower.
I’ll be going with the ProM and the Term X goes back to AFM tomorrow.
The Term X is easy to tune and there is a lot of info out there for it. In reality it doesn't work very well with the fox platform in my opinion. The harness is incomplete and the prefabbed lengths are all wrong if you like a clean installation.
If your harness is in good condition and stock I would use a QH and have Leech tune it. If my harness was garbage I would replace it with the appropriate ProM and go. If i was looking for the minimalist approach,(street Strip) wanted to use a Holley dash and liked to tinker with tuning I would get the Term X and the dual sync. It all depends on the application.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Would you describe the Term X as having very long wiring?

My potential project is a 98 Explorer, the engine harness connector to PCM is maybe eight inches long. The PCM is mounted in the firewall, at the top behind the engine.

Below is not my truck, but the closest to the basic layout I have planned. Space is limited, there's a little below and in front of the master cylinder, but not much anywhere else.
This man installed an SN95 Kenne Belle kit, with minor changes to the snout/pulley/idler parts and alignment.
View attachment 1086725
Yes, the Fox harness is a bit long rather than shorter. I think the harness is more LS specific as far as fuel pressure and oil pressure sensors go. The O2 sensor harness is very long.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I put everything back together except for my X-pipe and connection for my electric fan. These twin electric fans came on the car when I bought it. For anyone with the Terminator X, do I put the electric fan as my output and enable it, configure, go to switched input triggers and from there have the ECU activate the relay to turn on my electric fans?
Yes, follow the instructions to identify which wires are assigned to the fan out puts and you set up the on temps through the handheld or laptop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts