Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 260 in the same family as the 289, 302 ? If not can you give me a little more information on it? Thanks. If it is can it use the same heads as a 302? Also what else from a 302 will work?

·
USAF retired
9,146 Posts
It was the second engine built off the 221 design. It then grew in size to 289 and then 302. I think these had 5 bolt bellhousings though. Why would you want to use one except for restoration?

David

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is there a reason you want to run the 260? IMO the 3.8" bore will shroud the valves.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for a small block ford to put in my new project. The only problem is a 302 is wide. So I guess the 260 is to wide. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If the 302 is too wide, then I don't know where you'll find a narrower V8. I'm not aware of ANY V8 that's narrower than the 302. How about letting us in on the secret, maybe somebody has an idea that'll work.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rover 3.5L V8 and the Buick/ Olds 215 is not as wide. The 3.5 rover can be had up to 4L and is all alluminum. But the Rover is based off of the 215 buick and I wanted to go with someting that I could mod and get parts for with out paying out the rear end. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
by the time you machine a buick or olds aluminum motor to make some serious power you do pay out the rear end....cool motors but pricey

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats why I was looking at the Ford engine (302 then relized how big it was, so I then looked into the 260).

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
all the small blocks (221/260/289/302) are externally identical. the 221/260's have smaller bores.

there arent too many motors smaller than the small block fords!!!

try the old buick 215 (rover V8, now). its all aluminum!!! and prett small outside dimensions, but cost might be high for a good core or running engine

Buddy Rawls

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SnakeEyes said:
The rover 3.5L V8 and the Buick/ Olds 215 is not as wide. The 3.5 rover can be had up to 4L and is all alluminum. But the Rover is based off of the 215 buick and I wanted to go with someting that I could mod and get parts for with out paying out the rear end. Thanks.
Yep

·
Registered
372 Posts
All of the 260s have 5-bolt bellhousings, as did the very first 289s. I had a Sunbeam Tiger that came with the 260 engine. 260s have the same stroke as the 289, smaller bore. Early Cobras had 260s also.Early 289s were 5-bolts, later ones were 6-bolts. They need different bellhousings.
And the 260 cannot be bored out to 289 because the thin cylinder walls will lead to overheating.The external measurements of the 260 are the same as the 289 & the 302. There is nothing to gain by opting for the 260. If you have one, go to the Tiger board & sell it to a purist & go for a 302.
There is no substitute for cubic inches.

·
Registered
619 Posts
260's are all the same as a 302 except for 2 main reasons, one that has been listed already the bell housing is a 5 bolt setup. Second is the motor mount bolts have a smaller width between the bolts than a 289/302. They measure 5 inches and the 289/302 measures 6 ( if I recall correctly, but the 260 is most definitally 1 inch narrower. ) I had to have my J-plates that came off my 260 widen up to use with my 302. I happen to have a complete numbers matching 260 with a 2 speed auto that I am going to be getting rid of. Numbers mathcing, 75k on the whole setup. If you came across one grab the rods and crank out of it and hold on to them. They can be used in a 289 as well as making a long rod 302 ( by just using the rods, not crank, they are the exact SAME rods that a 289 used. )

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the information on the 260 V8. I guess I will be doing some rethinking on the old project. I am not sure if I want to go the Rover/Buick route at this point but it may be the only option. Thanks for the info once again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts