Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still owrking on putting together my new engine. I plan on uisng a DSS bullet shortblock w/ forged pistons. Pistons are fly cut for valves up to 2.08". I have a set of AFR 185 heads and will be using 1.6RR. I will also be running 8lbs of boost with a vortech s-trim. I don't mid a little lope to it i just don't want no surging or stalling like our cars are known to do.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
889 Posts
I agree w/Anaconda, go custom if you can. If you can't, then I would do some homework and talk to a few people that have used your heads, have similar combo, that have experience w/cams, etc... and see what kinda of specs and characteristics will suit your combo the best. Since your boosted and running AFR's, a custom cam would really maximize your power though.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
SN95LEEN said:
To prevent the surging/hunting and stalling that comes w/a cam swap in our cars stay w/a wider lobe seperation angle (LSA), a cam will be more driver freindly w/a wider LSA...it's not so much the big lift or duration that really kills our drivability.
Ideally your LSA should be 114

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a little cautious about using 1.7 RR due to piston/valve clearance issues. With the setup i am running i am not worried about a 15-20 hp loss for good driveability. I don't mind a little lope to it but i don't want surging stalling issues. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Shawn 94 GT said:
I am a little cautious about using 1.7 RR due to piston/valve clearance issues. With the setup i am running i am not worried about a 15-20 hp loss for good driveability. I don't mind a little lope to it but i don't want surging stalling issues. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Shawn
Ok, I think you should not use the Crane 2031 cam then.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Shawn 94 GT said:

Thanks
Shawn
That's alot of power to give up man!!:p The extrememe energy grinds have cams made specifically for 1.6's or 1.7's, you said that you have your pistons cut for 2.08 valves right?? What's the max lift that they could take w/the size valves that are on the AFR's? What's the valve size for the AFR 185's (both on I and E)??...sorry, but I'm not too familiar w/the AFR's, just curious about what situation you may be in with P/V clearance...thanks man.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2.02 intake 1.60 ex. not sure on the max lift.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
438 Posts
You need to find out how much valve lift your pistons can support. You know the maximum size of the valve diameter (2.08), but you also need to know how much lift the cam can have and still clear. It should be at 0.5" or higher, preferably 0.6 or so.

The 2031 is not a bad cam at all, even with 1.6 rockers. It was designed for blowers, low rpm power and smooth idle and that sounds like what you are looking for. The lobe separation is 112 which is plenty for a good idle. It has a dual pattern duration of 214/220 at .050 which works good with blowers. The lift with 1.6 rockers is .47859/.49449 which is not that bad with a blower. The 1.7 lift is .51772/.53492 which is better, but not required.

The blower is going to move plenty of air. You only need more duration and lift if you want more power at higher rpms.
Call Crane or send them an email and tell them your setup. They will let you know if they have a better cam. If you have doubts, there are lots of other vendors with good cams - Ford, Steeda, Erson, Lunati, etc.

You could run the Ford E and have good results, but would have to sacrifice a little idle quality. Like the previous post mentioned, watch the lobe separation for best results on idle quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts