Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read argumentative posts some saying they flow good enough and others saying it is worth it.. well, if i do a home port job, i have the tools and compressor, just need to get a porting kit. the heads are NEW. is there any serious material that can be taken out of these heads or should i just leave them alone???

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Just doing a simple bowl blend and cleaning up the casting flaws never hurt any head.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats all i could see, smoothing out the little bumps. what do you mean by bowl blend?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Right under the valve job angles, you'll see a part where the machining ends and the casting begins. Usually unblended heads have a sharp angle that you can actully feel, especially on the short side (the side closest to the port). Blending this sharp line gives the air a smoother transition. You have to have a very steady hand as it's very close to the valve job and you don't want to hit that.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I lapp the valves leaving a definitive grey circle where the valve hits the seat. Then you can smooth the bowl as directed above. You can streamline and narrow the valve guide boss and remove the bump in the exhaust runner. That's all I've done. I think I took more metal out of one hole of my E7's than I removed from the entire set of P's.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is the exhaust bump the dimple that goes upwards on the exhaust runner?? im messing with them now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
can u get rid of those completely?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
So how much hp could you pick up from "cleaning up" the P heads?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts