Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it worth installing an intake on a stock engine?

I am looking at a Trick Flow intake for a stock 89 GT. Will there be any performance gains on a stock engine?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
the performance gain will be low, less noticeable on the stock engine without heads...that intake really like to breath

·
Registered
130 Posts
I installed a Cobra intake on my 89 Hatch a while back (before my current mods). I gained 2.5 mph in the 1/4. At that time I already had a 3.73 gear with LT headers on it. That was it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yaa, a Cobra intake may be good, but a Trick Flow is higher flowing and would probably lead to a loss of torqe.

Personally, I would not put either on without ported or larger heads

·
Registered
829 Posts
Way back when, I installed a performer 289 on my bone stock 85GT and it was good for 1/2 sec and 4 mph in the 1/4 mile. I don't know if the fuelie cars respond the same way. You might need to change the lower intake also if the ports are as small as an 85GT manifold.

·
Registered
12,792 Posts
I think the Cobra intake would be a better choice for an improvement, IMHO.

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
On stock heads, the Cobra/Explorer/GT40 would be a better choice. Do you plan on heads later? Or you can port the stock lower for a nice power gain on the stock E7 or GT40 heads - see the link in my signature for results.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i am looking a the Trick Flow Kit. It come with heads cam intake ect. I am looking for some one who has one, and want kind of numbers they are getting from it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nottoofast50 said:
If your looking at the trickflow kit then the intake wouldn't be on stock heads would it?
No it would not, but my question was regarding it on a stock engine.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
The Trickflow would prob do nothing on a stock 5.0.A Cobra or Explorer with a mild ported lower would work real nice prob a 20-25Hp gain

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
Red85GT said:
No it would not, but my question was regarding it on a stock engine.

????

Does a stock engine = stock heads?

Or does stock engine = stock short block?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tmoss said:
????

Does a stock engine = stock heads?

Or does stock engine = stock short block?
Yea i would say stock being "from the factory". My original question is still valid. I wanted to know what if any gains i could get on my stock engine. If there were not any gains I was looking at the TFS kit. Instead of just getting the intake. And it looks like the whole kit with heads and all would be the better way to go.

Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yaa, I am looking at that kit also. It seems like a fair deal. Who are you getting it from? Summit?

You are in TX, so you could get a more agreessive cam :-

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea I am looking at summit. They are the only one that seems to have it. It may be a summit only item.

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
Red85GT said:
Yea i would say stock being "from the factory". My original question is still valid. I wanted to know what if any gains i could get on my stock engine......
10-15HP if you get the tune right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts