Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum but have been following threads on this forum for years and finally got the courage to join.

I have a 86 GT with custom E6 heads (milled, ported and polished - cobra valves COMP springs) with de- shrouded intake valves.

Shorty headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, gt40 intake. It dynoed at 257whp speed density. I have since installed a micro squirt ECU and have dialed in my a/f. It is now making 262whp same TQ.

I am thinking of installing the Crower 15511 camshaft but wanted to reach out for advice and thoughts, thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, still have the flat top pistons. The E6 heads were milled 010.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Valve springs...
  • Seat Load: 121 @ 1.800
  • Open Load: 343 @ 1.200
  • Coil Bind: 1.150"
  • Spring Rate: 370 lbs/in

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm happy with the results. My total ignition timing is at 30deg. here is a comparison cutting back the shroud over the intake valve.

·
USAF retired
9,085 Posts
The valves on those are recessed a decent amount in the chamber, so you might actually be able to make a cam work, but you'd have to check it, then of course if it doesn't clear cutting reliefs isn't terribly hard, just time consuming. I've had a couple sets of these apart, was going to mess with them, but decided against it. I would have cut down that finger sticking up between the valves...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do know from building these E6 heads that the valves are recessed .145 compared to E7 heads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know what 87+ reliefs are cut at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im going to order the 15511 Crower cam. After I install I will get it on the dyno for some results. Hoping for 15 more hp

·
Old timer
5,874 Posts
The valves on those are recessed a decent amount in the chamber, so you might actually be able to make a cam work, but you'd have to check it, then of course if it doesn't clear cutting reliefs isn't terribly hard, just time consuming. I've had a couple sets of these apart, was going to mess with them, but decided against it. I would have cut down that finger sticking up between the valves...
Lay back the chamber too...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I didn't take pick but I did take my port grinder and a sand paper roll and took the sharp edge out of the middle point and around the chamber to avoid a hot spot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lay back the chamber too...

being that the chambers are closer to 68cc not 58cc (AFR 165), laying back the chamber in that way would gain nothing in flow and drastically reduce compression and quench.

·
Old timer
5,874 Posts
being that the chambers are closer to 68cc not 58cc (AFR 165), laying back the chamber in that way would gain nothing in flow and drastically reduce compression and quench.
I have a 86 GT with custom E6 heads (milled, ported and polished - cobra valves COMP springs) with de- shrouded intake valves.
Even though you milled them, they are 68cc?

As for gaining no flow.... have you tested this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did spend a month porting these heads. I actually destroid a head finding my limits. Even with that said the runners are the same as an E7 head. So flow limits should be around 210cfm. The heads were milled but working with a very respected engine builder he truly believed the chamber restrictions were higher then the runner restrictions at this point.

·
Old timer
5,874 Posts
I did spend a month porting these heads. I actually destroid a head finding my limits. Even with that said the runners are the same as an E7 head. So flow limits should be around 210cfm. The heads were milled but working with a very respected engine builder he truly believed the chamber restrictions were higher then the runner restrictions at this point.
This chamber mod was very successful on a 289 head.

Hence my recommendation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow beautiful work

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So this needs to be taken with a grain of salt.....
I installed the XE264HR 114 camshaft. I wasnt able to go back to my original dyno and instead, I went to a Dynocom dyno.
The Dynocom has full smoothing and is SAE corrected. So to help compare i am reposting my dynojet dyno (with 5 smoothing and SAE correction). The Dynojet result is now 247whp 294ft. The Dynocom dyno shows 255whp 311ft.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts