Ford Mustang Forums banner

is it possible for a n/a quad cammer to make 325+rwhp with stock heads/cam

1K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  99Roush 
#1 ·
is it possible and if so what does it take (no power adder)

#5 ·
Yes, it is possible. :evil: There are a few on this board. :D Basically it requires a ported intake, all the bolt-on's and a very good tune.

#6 ·
it's seems that forced induction is where the quad cammer (stock shortblock) really comes to live over the 302s

#10 ·
Scott 01Cobra said:
Very posible on a 01, but not a pre 99.
I would beg to differ with that statement. :rolleyes: It does seem to be easier to reach those numbers on the newer Cobra's but, it IS possible for a 96-98 to reach those Rear Wheel #'s on the stock long block.

#11 ·
ALLNTRL said:
I would beg to differ with that statement. :rolleyes: It does seem to be easier to reach those numbers on the newer Cobra's but, it IS possible for a 96-98 to reach those Rear Wheel #'s on the stock long block.
I was talking from BOLT-ONs Only ...... not undoing even one bolt from the engine!

Sure, if I had done intake work and heads and stuff to my 96 it could have seen those numbers, but I didn't think the person posting the thread was including that, so I didn't!

#12 ·
OK, maybe I was confused but, I thought that what was being said was for a stock LONG block to make those #'s. If that is the case, my car has NEVER had the valve covers off! The only thing other than bolt-on's, is the ported intake. Now, if you mean a bolt-on 96-98car that is still running the stock intake, then I would say NO. I haven't heard of any 96-98's make that kind of power without intake work. :)

#13 ·
ALLNTRL said:
OK, maybe I was confused but, I thought that what was being said was for a stock LONG block to make those #'s. If that is the case, my car has NEVER had the valve covers off! The only thing other than bolt-on's, is the ported intake. Now, if you mean a bolt-on 96-98car that is still running the stock intake, then I would say NO. I haven't heard of any 96-98's make that kind of power without intake work. :)
OK - we're on the same wave length ... I agree.

#14 ·
I think 325 with a good tune, intake, Longtubes, O/R h or X, pulleys, powerpipe, CAI, etc is VERY attainable. However, I think this will probably be the most power N/A without touching the heads/cams(96-98 cobras). 335rwhp will probalby be the max rwhp seen on the newer 99/01 cobras.

My goal is 320rwhp with an intake and other parts mentioned above. FWIW, I think the originator of the post meant every part on the car without touching the valve covers/heads/cams. I don't feel comfortable messing with the 4 cams, heads, timing chains, etc. However swapping an intake is like a walk in the park for me.

Good luck with your HP goal.

#15 ·
have any of you guys swapped cams or played around with the cam timing (retard/advance)

#16 ·
Well we'll have to wait and see...

I'm in the middle of all the usual boltons right now and I intend to do a dyno tune after I'm done. Mine is a '96. I agree 325RWHP would be very sporty before the '99 heads. However, I do believe I can hit 300+ with no problem. Anyone got an issue with that?!?!

Down the road, after the wife gets a new car I'm gonna pull the motor and go up to at least 10.5 with forged internals. Then rework the heads, intake, cams, fuel system, and ignition. And yes I know that when I'm done I will have more money than a Vortech kit and still be lower on horsepower. Sorry, just not into forced induction on a car I want to be what I would call "daily driver" capable (which means different things to different people...). Not that there's anything wrong with it, lots of people do it, just not my cup of tea. On the other hand I will have I believe a car that's may be close to 400RWHP that should have fairly mild road manners. I dont think I will hit 400 with this route, but I bet I got a shot at 380 or so. Any opinions?

#17 ·
to be honest, a car with a centrifical is going to have more daily driver street manners than a high compression n/a car.

when you not w.o.t., the centrifical car is going to act like a stock car, you won't see any boost and be in vacuum

#18 · (Edited)
I think it's possible. Here's my latest dyno from Abacus racing in Va Beach. I'm showing both STD (Standard correction) and SAE (SAE correction).

Here is the STD run - 320 RWHP:
http://members.cox.net/rdcosby1/images/t45dyno.jpg

And here is the SAE run - 312 RWHP:
http://members.cox.net/rdcosby1/images/t45sae.jpg

Power mods are in the sig. I'd like to think that with a set of long tube headers (and a re-tune for them), and perhaps a larger MA meter and TB, I could get rather close to that 325 RWHP.

#19 ·
Why do our cars always seem to have a dyno graph that looks real wavey? Just wondering, my car has that too, and most graphs I've seen look that way.

#20 · (Edited)
beefcake said:
to be honest, a car with a centrifical is going to have more daily driver street manners than a high compression n/a car.

when you not w.o.t., the centrifical car is going to act like a stock car, you won't see any boost and be in vacuum
I completely agree. A blower will provide a great deal of flexibility [edit] and probably give the broader range of "street manners" vs horsepower. I guess my comments were a little misleading. I dont intend to get really carried away with the compression. Probably somewhere between 10.5:1 and 11.5:1. We're 9.85:1 anyway from the factory. Again, I still need to do some more research but I don't intend to go up to 13:1 or anything near that. And if it turns out that the general conseus is that I wont be able to get in the power range I indicated without major internal changes I will more than likely blow it off. I have been thinking about maybe building a trailer toy, I just dont really want to drastically modify my Cobra that much. Maybe pickup a ragged out V6 and give it a new chance at life...

[edit] BTW Beefcake, saw the ESPN interview, nice job taking your class, congrats! :joy:

#21 · (Edited)
key said:
Why do our cars always seem to have a dyno graph that looks real wavey? Just wondering, my car has that too, and most graphs I've seen look that way.
key, I'd noticed this too, but dont remember seeing it before the '99 cars. I have wondered if it has something to do with how the car is strapped down and maybe flexing/interaction with the IRS when you first matt the throttle for the pull. dont know if I'd seen it on a GT, if anyone has then that blows that theory. If it was real, I gotta believe a lot of people would be commenting on it cause I gotta believe you could feel it when you drove it...

[edit] and after reading Bob's sig that pretty much blows that theory anyway since he did a live axle swap... Oh well, it was just an idea.

#22 ·
ME:
STD correction: 322rwhp
SAE correction: 314rwhp
NO correction (Actual): 318 rwhp
Close but still no cigar :(
Wonder what a tune and a catback would do for me..........

#23 ·
has ford released their new heads for the 4cammer
are they planning on it
what will they cost

#24 ·
stangdsm said:
has ford released their new heads for the 4cammer
are they planning on it
what will they cost
yes, the FR500 heads are in the 2002 catalog. 750.00 per bare head.

The intake and valvetrain, to my knowledge, arnt out yet.

If i just suddenly decided to become a colombian drug lord, i would get hogged out FR500 heads, Mod Max valvetrain, and ported FR500 intake.......mmm.....

#26 ·
32VfromHell said:

yes, the FR500 heads are in the 2002 catalog. 750.00 per bare head.

The intake and valvetrain, to my knowledge, arnt out yet.

If i just suddenly decided to become a colombian drug lord, i would get hogged out FR500 heads, Mod Max valvetrain, and ported FR500 intake.......mmm.....
Exactly:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.