Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting some bigger tires on my and my friends spares and using them as skinnies. Is it safe or should I just get regular skinnies?

Thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
People used to do it with cobras because it was the only skinny that would clear cobra brakes. I dont think its a good idea as they are only supposed to go to 50 mph.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can do it but you have to change the tires and have them balanced. You can order a set or get them from pep boys (165 series) It'll cost ya around $100.00.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will use them and save some money:). I'll get some new 165's also.

·
Registered
743 Posts
There was a year where the cars had aluminum spares, I think it was 89. You could wet sand them and buff and they looked chrome. I have a set, but I think there are clearance issues wit the front calipers.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
the convertibles and consol delete cars had the alum. spares.
be sure to get them out of 87 and newer vehicles as brake caliper clearence is definatly an issue...
been there...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll just stick to my regular spares and not worry about the alluminum ones, but if I ever go to a junkyard I'll try to find some, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
267 Posts
There is a good chance (depending on the tech at your track) that you wont be allowed to run them (they are not legal).

Personally I would just pick a set of aftermarket rims and go from there.

I have seen the aluminum ones run, and there are two versions of them, and one has a deeper offset.

They also came in turbocoupes.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll contact my local dragway before I run them, or spraypaint "weld" on them and tell them that these are the new draglites :p

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
spare wheels are fine.
spare tires are not.
Spare wheels are accepted by NMRA, FFW, NHRA and IHRA...
Dunno why any track would have a different opinion.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i used a pair last year at a couple different tracks and was never questioned about them. i polished them up and they don't look to bad. not as nice as welds etc but a lot cheaper. they also weigh A LOT less than the steel conterparts. by the way the speed rating is for the temporary spare TIRE and not the wheel.

erich

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So just slap on some 165's and I'll be set?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I use the aluminum spare rims as skinnies on my car ,not as pretty as aftermarket ,but they were free.They do have some small virtues ,they are fairly light ,can be polished to look reasonably good,and don't require special lug nuts.On the other hand ,they don't match any aftermarket wheels out there so they do stand out a little,and they don't have any center caps.
Scott

·
Registered
249 Posts
yep 165s fit perfect. that is what i have.

erich

·
Registered
365 Posts
My bullitt has a 17" spare to clear the brakes, and the tire is a 165 and doesn't look like the "average" bicycle spare tire, but a real tire. are these ok at higher speeds? if not, what is an average 165's sidewall? couldn't come up with anything on tirerack.

·
Registered
291 Posts
nope, the cobra/bullit spares are NOT a legal tire, even though they don't have any speed limitation printed on them. And to make matters worse nobody makes any other 165 wide tires for a 17" wheel.

I still have a set of steel skinnies for sale that will clear the 13" cobra brakes, with no spacers or grinding. e-mail me for details.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've got a couple of shots of mine hanging in the air ,but i can't post them here since they're not hosted anywhere on the net.I have posted them at stangnet,since you can post right from your hard drive there.
Scott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts