Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am putting an electric fan in my 88 & want to know if it is ok to run the fan full time when the car is being used. this is a toy car & isnt driven everday. i was going to put this on a toggle switch to turn it on. input on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well i used to have an 83 that only had an electric fan, no stock fan or fan clutch and i ran it all the time from a toggle and i drove it everyday....it was fine but it takes some getting used to ..gotta remember to turn it on alll the time or else you look down and your in the red realy quick

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Mine is always running from when i turn the key on to when i turn it off. No switch... it goes on and off with the car. Anyways you can hook up a switch that when the key is in the run position it will work on or off but when the car shuts off there is no power to the switch... thus no need to remember to turn it off all the time but you still have control.

SVT

·
Registered
112 Posts
My only concern would be taxing the electrical system. Even with a 130 or higher alternator some vans ie. the Mark VIII fan pull a lot of amps. You can make your own temp switch set up mounted in the thermostat housing. There's lots of info available from members here.:)

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
the mark 8's weakness is its start-up draw. it can draw up to 80 amps just to start it so if you ask me having it run constantly is better than having it run on and off

take care,
adam

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
When I installed my Black Magic fan four years ago I wired it to a switch that was only powered when the car was running. Most of the time I left the switch on, but when I'd get out on the highway I'd turn it off... Turning it off on the highway probably didn't do any good, but I would anyways.

The Black Magic combined with my AC would draw too much current for the stock alternator. I eventually upgraded to a 3G and haven't had a charging problem since. And my car has quite a bit to throw at it: AC , electric fan, big stereo, T-rex, etc.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
No need for a fan above about 30mph anyway. The vehicle pushing through air at 30mph will be more flow than the fan would produce.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have a Black Magic fan and have it wired to the positive side of the starter solinoid... With the temperature switch it will run anytime my temp gets above 180*... It runs when the car is off, which is what I wanted it to do to help with cooling... Would be better with an electric water pump, but don't have that... In two years I have never had the fan drain the rear mounted battery that I have and I only use a stock 75 amp alternator...

Hope that this helps...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx guys, the info is great news. i will wire this up full time & will be using my 75 amp alternator. i do not have ac & very rarely dive the car at night so this should work mint for me. thanx again guys-

·
Registered
489 Posts
I use a thermostatically controlled switch to ground the relays for both fans (Griffin - SPAL dual fan setup).

All I do is turn on the relay switch and the engine temp determines when the fans come on. I do have a manual bypass I can engage, but i never have needed it.

Works great.

·
Registered
355 Posts
LeadSled Convertible said:
I use a thermostatically controlled switch to ground the relays for both fans (Griffin - SPAL dual fan setup).

All I do is turn on the relay switch and the engine temp determines when the fans come on. I do have a manual bypass I can engage, but i never have needed it.

Works great.
Hey, how did you hook up your dual fan setup? I just got this today and I don't have a clue. If you could email me and let me know, it would be great.

[email protected]

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
You can run it continuously, but it's sure going to work the 2G very hard. Keep a close watch on the rectangular connector to the 2G. Running any electric fan (you didn't say which one you plan to install), continuously, will cause that connector to heat up, and if it's not in perfect condition, will raise the likelihood of overheating and starting a fire.

Don't mean to cause you worry, but that 2G connector is a very common failure point. That's one big reason Ford went to the 3G.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this is why i asked this question, so my car dont burn up on me. i think i will wait till i can get the bigger alternator. what year cars can i get this from if i were to go to a junk yard? thanx again-

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Definitaly upgrade to the 130 amp 3G alternator. I run my electric fans always also. Key on, fans come on. When I shut the car off, the fans go off. I wired a toggle switch into the trigger wire so I can shut them off manually if I want. I just leave them on, that way you never forget and the car doesn't overheat.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
harvester of sorrow said:
...i think i will wait till i can get the bigger alternator. what year cars can i get this from if i were to go to a junk yard?...
See my website.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you do run it to a toggle switch, make sure you run a constant power and run the ground thru the switch...otherwise you will burn switches up all the time...I have a black magic fan, stereo and run AC with Stock alt and never had a problem...

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Pike_stang said:
If you do run it to a toggle switch, make sure you run a constant power and run the ground thru the switch...otherwise you will burn switches up all the time...I have a black magic fan, stereo and run AC with Stock alt and never had a problem...
Not many toggle switches are good for 30-40A DC. A toggle switch might be rated 125VAC @ 10A, but only 12VDC @10A. Better to use a relay, anyway.

I guarantee that you will eventually burn up your switch, even with the Black Magic, if you don't use a relay. Whether you switch the "constant power" or the "ground" has no effect whether you will burn out the switch. This is only done as a safety issue. If you short the ground side, no problem, if you short the constant power side to the chassis, the wire will burn up instantly.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Use the switch to turn a relay or constant duty solenoid on and off, you definitly dont want run 30 or more amps through a toggle switch. I would highly reccomend a constant duty solenoid, they are rated at 200 amps or more versus 30 for a typical relay. I have seen plenty of relays fail after several months of use on an electric fan.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts