Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone know if it does much damage to shift my AOD-E tranny? I have a shift kit and redline oil to keep the heat down, I worry about it when i manually shift or when i put it in first and chill at 3500rpm for a second, it just sounds so cool! :D

Also does the OverDrive/Off button hurt my tranny i wouldnt think so because its holding the gears to only 1,2, and 3. So less shifting is better right??? But Im not sure.

Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Jerry said he wouldn't manually shift an older style AOD-E (before the 99-02's) so I would recommend against it unless you upgrade to the newer parts. I manually shifted mine at the track but never on the street. Keeping O/D off does help the O/D band last longer, but having the car hold first gear is majorly hard on the internals of the tranny. My chip right now is tuned to shift out of first @ 25 mph quarter and part throttle so it holds 1st just like a 5spd would, but my friend @ Ford (a tranny tech) said to change it immediately.

·
Registered
82 Posts
guess I should stop droppin into 2nd when Im at 40 slowin down for a light everyday ! :( lol I dont care I will just replace it later. Thank God for Warranties !!

·
Registered
213 Posts
guess I should stop droppin into 2nd when Im at 40 slowin down for a light everyday !
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I shift mine with OD off. I allow for about 800rpm increase while it thinks about changing from 1st to 2nd so as not to redline the motor. I never downshift. So far so good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.