Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Header selection always has to be defined based on the title of this thread. Neither street headers on a race car or race headers on a street car is the way to go, in most circumstances. When somone calls us about ordering headers, almost the first question I ask them is how they use their car. Our typical customer says (or thinks) that they have what is called a "street/strip" Mustang, but even that description needs to be expanded. For instance, do they have a race car that they occasionaly drive on the street, or do they have a street car that they occsionally take to the track? Obviously, there is a difference. Customers (or prospective customers) need to know what they need, which is not always what they want. When a Mustang enthusiast tells me that he has a "street/strip" car, my first question is how many miles (on the average0 does he put on his car during the year? He may respond with "about 6,000 miles a year". My next question is how many times does he take the car to the track? A typical response may be, "four or five times a year, mostly to test and tune or maybe to run in the bracket class." From that answer, I then ask how many passes does he make on the average, and he may respond with "four to six runs, give or take". Even if he makes ten runs every time he goes to the drag strip, that is only about two and a half miles (on a 1/4 mile track) or half that on an 1/8th mile track. Two and a half miles times six trips to the drag strip is about 15 miles on the drag strip, versus 6,000 miles on the street. Is that a "street/strip" car? Far from it, it's a street car, and your header selection should be based on that reality.

Okay, enough of that.

The most popular header we sell these days have been the Mid Length Headers, and the funny thing is that about 50% of them are being purchased by all out racers, that NEVER use their cars on the street. We offer the Mid Length Headers in 1 3/4", 1 7/8" and 2" primaires. The 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" use 3" collectors and the 2" uses 3 1/2" collectors. The race guys order the 1 7/8" and 2" Mid Length Headers, and most of the time, they run the headers open, with no exhaust system (as in H or X-pipes and mufflers). Why have so many racers switched from Long Tubes to Mid Length Headers? (1) they cost less and (2) they are lighter weight and (3) they never need to remove the headers to change the clutch or converter and (4) they are much easier to install and (5), the difference in horsepower is minimal. That last one may surprise you. With open headers, everything else being equal, the HP difference is under 10 HP at the top end. And if you run a full exhaust system (including mufflers), the difference on the dyno is almost unmeasurable.

Mid Length Headers go back a long way in all out drag cars. The photo below is a Big Block Chevy 427" Z-11 engine mounted in an A/FX Chevy II Nova, in the early 1960's.
Vehicle Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Automotive tire Floor Flooring Motor vehicle Engineering

Like the Mustangs, there is not a lot of room in the engine compartment. The FX rules at the time did require a "full exhaust system" which is why this set has the extensions welded to the ends of the collectors, but they raced with the headers open. Because of width restraints on the Chevy II, the primaires had to be routed over the factory sub frames, which is something NOT required on the Mustangs.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Clean and neat, eh what? We use the same collectors that are used on the Long Tube Headers. The end of the collectors are pretty much where the firewall and floorboards meet. The driver's side is pretty much the same, and fits between the steering shaft and the engine (the headers can easily be installed from the top)...

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Reactions: ratrapp

·
Registered
11,056 Posts
I never confused my street car for a race car...........or vice versa..........

·
Registered
878 Posts
All of my cars are registered so i suppose my race car is a street car

·
Registered
734 Posts
So just to be clear... street cars under 2200HP ... race cars over 2200HP.

J/k... everyone knows 1500 is the cutoff for street cars.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
I’ve put close to 4000 miles on my car this year lone that I open track, autox, occasionally street race, take my kid to and from school, and also take 500 mile road trips with. I should probably drive my SHO more but I’ll do that when I’m ready to be boring.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve put close to 4000 miles on my car this year lone that I open track, autox, occasionally street race, take my kid to and from school, and also take 500 mile road trips with. I should probably drive my SHO more but I’ll do that when I’m ready to be boring.
To me, this would be a legitimate "Street/Strip" car, an every day car that also sees plenty of street use. Hanging a license plate on an all-out race car does not make it a "Street/Strip" car in my opinion. Been there, done that. Driving 500+ miles from Los Angeles to Reno, NV with a 4:88 rear end (driving with one eye on the road and the other eye on the gas gage) and mufflers loud enough to shake fillings out of your teeth is just not very pleasent.

·
Registered
878 Posts
To me, this would be a legitimate "Street/Strip" car, an every day car that also sees plenty of street use. Hanging a license plate on an all-out race car does not make it a "Street/Strip" car in my opinion. Been there, done that. Driving 500+ miles from Los Angeles to Reno, NV with a 4:88 rear end (driving with one eye on the road and the other eye on the gas gage) and mufflers loud enough to shake fillings out of your teeth is just not very pleasent.
That's why it needs a turbo, quiet(er) exhaust and a lower rear gear

I believe the question was street car vs race car, which has been debated for many years.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Interesting....I always just ask the questions that lead the customer to the header that would offer the best performance for their engine specs and horsepower goals. Most of the time, I had to talk the "bigger is better" knuckleheads down by explaining that the largest diameter header available is not the right one for their application. This sometimes required explaining "ricer math".

Reactions: sn95gts331

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
790 Posts
In simpleton average person terms the answer is when you go down the dragstrip and they tell you you cant run anymore because you don’t have the adequate safety equipment. That is your first trophy to becoming a Street/strip car.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
If its on the street.... it's a STREET CAR...
I disagree. A car may be driven on the street, but it's not necessarily a "street car" to me. Problem is the definition of a "street car" is pretty fluid depending on the person talking about it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts