Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock shortblock in my 89 coupe, with a set of dart sr heads with 2.02/1.60 valves. ill be adding a cam this weekend.and am worried about the piston to valve clearance.
I'll be installing the steeda #18 cam. 480 lift intake and exhaust. But with the 1.7's ill be right at 510 and 220/226 duration

Is there anything wrong with doing this? will my motor be off balance???

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Coilz,

I about Guarantee you that if you use a Dremel to Flycut the Pistons, your not gonna remove the exact same amount of material on every piston so that will make it Imbalanced..What I would do if I were you would be Beg, buy, or Borrow one of those Newfangled flycutting tools that actually fit through the Valve guide and Cut away...This way, to remove the same amount of Material, all you would have to do is Measure the depth of the cut in the center of the flycut, and cut all the Valves to the same Depth..Dont forget that you wont have to go as deep on the Exhaust side because the valve is ALOT smaller..Im trying my best to remember the name of that Flycutting Bit..You use it with a Drill...?If I think of the name I will post it..See ya..

Jeff

·
Registered
489 Posts
Install it and "clay" the piston to valve clearance before doing anything.

.080" clearance required minimum on exhaust valves
and .100" clearance min required on intake valves if I have them backwards....

Easy to do.

Slice the clay or (playdough) in half and measure with a micrometer.

I have a .535" intake lift and .557" exhaust lift with 1.6RR and I have the required minimum clearances. (218deg/ 224 deg)

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts