Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in threads that Ford has an improved head gasket they are using on the 4.6 engines. Its supposedly thicker in certain areas to improve sealing.

Does anyone know when or if it's being used on the 2003 GTs?

Thanks.

·
Registered
749 Posts
After having a head replaced by the dealer, they told me Ford had a run of poorly machined Romeo heads. Not sure if this new gasket is their fix for the problem or if the design for the gasket was changing anyway. I would suspect they are slapping them on the newer GT's if my problem is consistent.
By the way, it looks like the other head on my motor is now dripping - I get a bad burning smell at stop lights.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PaulMan nailed the reason I am asking this question. My '99 GT had the burning oil smell at stop lights and the problem was never found by the dealer. I suspect a head gasket from what I've read since then. It didn't leak oil, but you could smell burning oil frequently, and especially after stopping at a light. I could smell it if I stopped the car in my driveway and popped the hood until the fans came on. My motor was a Windsor instead of the Romeo, but I still suspect the head gasket design. My '84 5.0 never had this issue.

I'm looking at an '03 again, and don't want to smell oil like I did in the '99 and was wondering if it has been fixed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
PaulMan said:
After having a head replaced by the dealer, they told me Ford had a run of poorly machined Romeo heads. Not sure if this new gasket is their fix for the problem or if the design for the gasket was changing anyway. I would suspect they are slapping them on the newer GT's if my problem is consistent.
By the way, it looks like the other head on my motor is now dripping - I get a bad burning smell at stop lights.
this is some info I've picked up....

The 4.6L uses a multi-layered steel head gasket. It needs a really smooth within a very small tolerance limit finish on the heads. Block surface finish should around 40 Ra and 20 Ra on the heads. The geometry of the head and block must be matched really good to get a good fit. And from what I heard, Ford did have a bad run of heads. I'm not sure of dates but it would explain head seal failure

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm using the new style gaskets with my headswap, 00 heads on a 97 block. The new style gaskets seem to be much nicer than the old, if I remember, the old ones were a laminated 3-layer gasket, the new ones are a 4-layer gasket that is not laminated, they have a few brass rivits. If you were to hold each gasket by one end I bet the old one might bend a degree or two, the new one will bend about 60-70 degrees. They seem thicker but I can't tell without putting a set of calipers on it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
very good info guys
thanks
my car is still under warranty, so I may bring it in to have them get a closer look on the lift.
I'll put a post to let you guys know what happens
later
P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts