Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little play back and forth with the driveshaft in my hand in the rear of my gt....is this normal...it was recently rebuilt and ive been hearing a little clunking after letting off the gas since i got the car.....aluminum ds as well so u joints are good...any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Some is normal. Too much is not. Don't know what the spec is though. If you have aftermarket LCA's you'll hear every clunk back there.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you are talking about some rotational play in the DS then yes that is normal. Its called backlash when you are setting the gear in the rear. Backlash spec is .008"-.014" Unless you want to take the cover off and check it with a dial guage you'll just have to use judgement as to weather your play is "excessive" or not.

·
Registered
502 Posts
FunkRider82 said:
Not really the same thing but what about play if you pull or push on the rear tires in and out? Like towards the dif and away from it?
A little is normal. When you pull the axle the c clip is holding it in. When you push it, it is butting up against the pinion shaft. There should be a little play there too.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok lets assume i have too much play ....what is causing that....a bearing or something improperly shimmed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts