Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just blew my t5 upin my 88 a few days go
and i was wondering if i could replace it with one from a 95 gt without having to change anything.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you wan't to fit one on your can you need to use the sn95 bellhousing/fourch or change the input shaft and bearing retainer using the one on your fox t-5.

·
Registered
811 Posts
The input shaft on the SN is 3/4 of an inch longer, so is the bell for obvious reasons. All you have to do is change the inpur shaft from a Fox and use your bell and you're good to go.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I would just use the bell of the 94/95. I did that about 5 years ago, and it worked like a dream. Other than that everything will work ok.

Good luck, Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Fork said:
The input shaft on the SN is 3/4 of an inch longer, so is the bell for obvious reasons. All you have to do is change the inpur shaft from a Fox and use your bell and you're good to go.
Pretty close. The actual length difference is 5/8" longer on the newer tranny, the easiest way to do that swap is to use the bellhousing with the new tranny.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you have a 88-91 starter yes you have to put a 92-95 mini starter. It would be faster just to swap your input shaft . All you have to do is 4 bolts to remove re-shim and silicone put the 4 bearing retainer bolt back and your done that's what I did. For the shim you can go to ford or any transmission place. A tranny shop can even do the job for you in 15 minutes if you bring your tranny.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
i dont kow why you would have ot chnage the start becaus eu upgrade to the 92 starter on all my 91 and less cars

·
RobKong
1,118 Posts
Moving to the correct forum.

Please keep the 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech Forum limited to engine related topics.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for those of you that switched the input shafts, do both of them have the same tooth count? local shops around here are telling me that a fox body input shaft wont fit in a sn95 tranny because the teeth count is different. help please!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
not the same!!!!

oh be careful... everyone who has said stuff so far is pretty dead on. my friends at dnd will be able to help you out... at least there website would. they are masters at transmissions and a lot of help as well. goodluck.
-troy

·
Registered
42 Posts
I fit a 1987-1993 input shaft on a 94-95 tranny without any problem. Just count the number of gear on both input shaft to be sure

1 - 15 of 15 Posts