Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in buying a fuel cell for my GT. $650 for the peace of mind to protect my son sounds okay to me.
Unfortunately, I looked at the specs on it and I'm wondering if they are actually better than stock in a rear end collision?
The burst and puncture rating for the inner liner seemed low and the tank would then be aluminum instead of steel with the same unsecured stock filler tube opening. It would then also hang lower in the vehicle below the bumper line.
Anyone have experience or know of any that have been crashed or tested vs. stock?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Where did you find one for $650? The Cobra R Fuel-Safe is $1600. I have seen those smashed so badly that the capacity was less than half and still did not leak.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response. Sounds like they really do hold up.
I just typed in "fuel cell mustang" into MSN and it come up with a place that had the 20 gallon for $650 and the 22 gallon for $1350.
Just tried again and this is the link.
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/fsafe11.htm
Is the 20 gallon really a different one? I went to fuel safes site and the appeared to be the same as far as liner and build but the 22 gallon was much more. Maybe the extra complexity of building up that high side area? Or maybe it's a snow job and the 20 gallon has the low end liner?

EDIT
I tried to go back to the fuel safe site and ended up at their international site which had some FAQ's I didn't see before. It seems these things are only good for about 5 years and require yearly maintainance. Is that true for all models? That sounds like a bad thing for what I'm trying to accomplish.
Any other alternatives? Maybe I should just take off what I can and trade for a more modern/safer car?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. Thanks. I won't be going plastic so I guess that leaves the Cobra R. At $1,300 the choice of keeping this car is getting harder and harder.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
A call to Fuel-Safe today informed me of the street cell. It apparently has the Sportsman bladder opposed to the Pro cell bladder in the Cobra R cell.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just ordered a custom 22 gallon aluminum pro unit from Fuel Safe for a Shelby Cobra replica. It cost 1400 as well. From what I understand, the bladder only has to be replaced after five years or so because it gets hard. I do not know anything about yearly maintenance. That would be a bummer

·
Registered
571 Posts
Check with Hoerr Racing. I picked up mine from them for about $1000. If your running an external pump, be fore warned, but if your running the stock setup, it is a great setup. Mark

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the links and responses.
I'll look into that Hoer Racing one with the street cell bladder. If there is no yearly maintainance and is good for five years that may work. I leave my car up most of the winter though and it seemed like the fuel coudl eat it up quicker that way.
All stock setup with a bigger pump.
I'm thinking '06 Cobra so only 3 or so years life span may work.

·
Authorized Advertiser
145 Posts
It's almost worth it just for the 20 gallon capacity. I hate stopping at the gas station and generally only get about 240 miles on a tank. 20 gallons would stretch that out to over 300 which would be nice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
WTF? Craig, how large is your tank? I regularly get 300 miles out of mine... (well, 280 really but with ~2 gallons left)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm lucky to get 250 on a tank with less than an 1/8th left.
I guess 2nd gear freeway passing eats up a lot of fuel. :)
I hate that south I-405 to East 520 interchange.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I suppose all that time I spend on I90 going 75 in 5th (2k RPM, with the wacked stock rear end Ford saw fit to provide) is good for something, then...

·
Registered
106 Posts
onralz,

when running the fuel safe cell, what's wrong with an external pump. I have a carbureted setup and I was looking to go with the fuel safe cell with an external electric pump. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
307 Posts
There is no issue running an external pump with a fuel safe...you just need to mate the pump correctly to the application and get the pump mounting location correct and plumbed properly...

·
Registered
571 Posts
HalM is correct regarding the problems with an external pump, at least with a carbuerated car. I had problems being an EFI car with the pickups. Where Fuel Safe recommended it was in the top right. I could only run 7 gal of fuel out, before I had a bobble. Air would get in the line, and lose fuel to the system. I went through two pumps, and four lost races, before I figured out to put the pickup in the rear left, and the return pointed into the surge tank, at an angle. The return was splashing the fuel out of the surge tank, and running it dry through long sweepers. Keep in mind the pump needs to be lower or as low as the cell also. I had it right from the start, but it would have caused even more problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts