Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my car has the timing advanced to 14' and I always have ran nothing other than 87 octane. I know everyone says "just listen for pinging" but I have never heard the sound of pinging in my life so I do not know what I'm listening for. Is this a loud sound that I should definately notice or is it something that I will barely hear? Where exactly does the sound come from? Anyone else ok running 87 with advanced timing? Fill me in with imformation about this, thanks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
No you need 91 at least. You risk pre ignition at high rpm. Not all engines ping at idle if not using the correct octane. Some depend on when you floor it and trying to get the most power out of it.

It may studder ping or detonate even if for a split second...87 octane should only go into your engine with stock 10* timing. There are no buts about it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Mine sounds more like sparks shooting from a coil with the wire off when it pings.. but it sounds just like the marbles in a can too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Nobody even mentioned the damage to the pistons it will do. Especially those hypereucraptics that were used in 93. I've seen holes burned through those pistons from detonation.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've been running it with 87 for a little while now and I don't hear any odd sounds so I'm assuming it's ok. Is there any way I can look at something in the motor to see if it's being harmed?

Does pinging sound like that noise I've heard coming from alot of high-mile Dodge Caravans that have a hot motor? (bad example, but hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about). I've heard quite a few after they've been shut off sitting in parking lots and such and I walk by and just hear like "ting, ting, ting"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Friend of mine ran 87 and 14* timing in his 94 GT automatic. It ruined an O2 sensor. You might not ping if you stay out of the throttle and drive conservatively, but its better just to use 93 and be safe. It sounds like the coins in a can, but also like a crackling noise. Imagine some coins loose in a dryer, but faster. Thats how it sounds (my 11:1 chevelle pings on 93 octane!)

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
run 93 octane, b/c we know your not gonna drive conservative :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really don't beat on this car so maybe that's why it's been ok. I know it definately isn't making a "coins in the can" sound.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
then you can run whatever gas you want...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah, just dont floor it, thats where problems arise. But hey if money is an issue, bring down the timing to 10*...Dont sacrifice your pistons.

·
Registered
831 Posts
93tealstang said:
I really don't beat on this car so maybe that's why it's been ok. I know it definately isn't making a "coins in the can" sound.
Its really hard to hear the ping of preignition in a 5.0. I can honestly say I've never heard it in my motor, and I've had the timing as high as 20 degrees on 91octane.
This does not mean it isnt there!!!!!
The damage done from pinging takes time and isnt always audible, (like on a 5.0)-- , but why take chances??
89 octane should be OK for a stock compession stang running 14 degrees advance, providing its a clean motor with low miles. If not 91 or 93 is cheap insurance.
If your not convinced, try pulling some of your spark plugs and look for white spots on them- thats a sure sign your pistons are being compromised. Or just wait for one of your fragile pistons to grenade.............

1 - 16 of 16 Posts