Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
In all the catalogs and places I have called that is about it ! The only cheap pair I have seen is used. Good Luck Rob

·
Registered
552 Posts
You know Ron Short right? He may be able to broker you a special price through "The Racing Zone" in Arlington, TX. I got mine for 800$ back in 1998 that way. You might shoot him some email asking him if he still has connections at that shop.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only reason I would spend the extra cash for the svo heads is so I can run a 10# pulley with my blower, which I wouldn't be able to do with PI heads.

But that makes a dilemma. Everyone says 340 rwhp is the max you can get out of our blowers no matter what you do.....why spend the extra cash for svo heads? You could reach those numbers with stock PI heads. I'm confused.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Didn't Roxanne Shepard get over 400rwhp with a SVO blower? This was a while back and my memory is a bit foggy on this one.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have been thinking about fabricating an intercooler that goes between the intake manifold and the heads. Maybe a thin phenolic plate with the intercooler fins inside the ports. I wonder if I could make this work? I guess the fins would have to be above the fuel injectors so that the fuel would stay atomized and not gunk up everything. So far it's just a reocurring daydream; I need to fish out my stock intake and have a look to see if it is even possible. All this car work makes me wish I had persued Mechanical Engineering instead of Electrical!

·
Registered
160 Posts
The aftermarket really rapes you modular guys! I hope prices go down in the next few years. Maybe Im delerious but $1600 for 25-30HP and 20ftlbs of torque or so doesnt sound like a good deal. I gained 12mph in my 1/4 mile when I put a blower on. I had about $3300 in it....thats probablly over 100hp increase. Im sure you guys can get those gains too. Those roots blowers are nice for a 45 year old that like to do burnouts once a month and get some of his youth back, but a centrifical or turbo seems the best way to extract as much HP as you can from a motor.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Palemarry, I remember when GT40 Heads came out in the 80s they also went for $800 a head. This is the price you pay to race the newest cars.

·
Registered
160 Posts
NOVIFED: thats an interesting factoid! no doubt the 5.0 is so cheap to mod because its been out since 68 and fuel injectected since 87. I think the more aftermarket parts get made by different companies the prices will start to fall. I remember some people very reluctant about the new fuel injected mustangs bach in the 80's vowing to always run a carb.

·
Registered
678 Posts
palemarry said:
NOVIFED: thats an interesting factoid! no doubt the 5.0 is so cheap to mod because its been out since 68 and fuel injectected since 87. I think the more aftermarket parts get made by different companies the prices will start to fall. I remember some people very reluctant about the new fuel injected mustangs bach in the 80's vowing to always run a carb.
Please no offense Im not attacking you but since you do agree with what I say what was the point in your original post ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The point was: save your money and get a supercharger or turbo instead of the $1600 heads. Easier to install and more bang for the buck...not to mention all the looks you get from people when you have a whine coming from under the hood.

·
Registered
160 Posts
HAHAHA, ok...so spend $30 and get a smaller pulley to run more boost. How much boost do you run?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
6#'s

by the way, with heads on a supercharged 96-98 GT...some people see gains of up to 70rwhp, not just 30

·
Registered
160 Posts
70 horsepower would kick ass. 6lbs is horrible though. When I bought my blower I didnt have the 9lb stock pulley on for very long. Granted the powerbands are different but Id look into a smaller pulley. Just imagine spending under $50 for a smaller pulley say 9lbs and getting an extra 30HP....or spend it on a 11lb pulley for around an additional 50Hp or so. Im just giving you my perspective given the exspense of the heads and the power gains Ive seen from them. If you could get 70HP from them though it would be reasonable. I dont know of any 5.0 aftermarket head that could boast those gains. I expect 15-20 HP from my GT40P heads. I was on a budget and they were only $250.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it is very common to see 50 rwhp when putting aftermarket heads on a 96-98 supercharged GT. 70rwhp is an exception but it has been done.

The reason I am reluctant to up the boost is because there is no option for an intercooler with my blower except water/alcohol injection which I am not sure if I trust yet for a daily driver. I may add a 9# pulley if I for some reason don't do heads.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts