Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really necessary to balance my setup to 28oz? I'm doing a cast 347, stock block, AFR 185s, FTI cam, Intake, with occasional, maybe once a month 125 shot. Can I reuse my stock balancer and flywheel, or do I really need to go to 28 oz balance? What will the effects be either way? Thanks-Dan

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
It depends if it was cast to be 28oz or 50 oz balance. If you try and 50oz balance a 28oz crank, you'll have a crank with a lot of metal ground out of it. If you have a certain kit in mind, then give a call and see what it is set up for. I think Central Coast Mustang does 50oz 347s, but stuff like the Eagle and Scat kits are generally made for 28oz balance. It's not what you want to use for balanced parts, it's what the crank is made for. Hope this helps. You need to call your stroker supplier and see if they offer a 50oz balance setup, not just use your 50oz setup on their 28oz parts. The engine will not live long with the wrong match of rotating parts. If I were you, I would go ahead and upgrade your parts with Billet/SFI stuff just for longevity and peace of mind. Especially if you ever have to pass thru tech at a real race. Go for a Summit or FMS Balancer and an FMS Billet Flywheel. That's my .02.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Dan,

most stroker cranks balance easier to 28 oz-in the 50. You've spent lots of money on your parts, don't skimp on the balancer. I believe the 28 oz balance is easier on parts and the roller block most importantly. You've got to ditch the stock balancer & flywheel/flexplate at a minimum. A sfi balancer will be built to tighter spec and you don't risk the health of your motor with a spun stock damper.

Mark

·
Registered
618 Posts
or the 28 oz flywheel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts