Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere on the passenger side, I'm getting a knocking sound -- usually on hard acceleration, and then the first time I hit the brakes after a hard acceleration. Normal everyday driving doesn't produce the sound all that often.

Seems like I've heard people mention that this is a known issue -- what part is it, or bushing, that I likely need to replace? My experience with the IRS is fairly limited, though I suspect that will change soon :D.

Thanks!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I vote for bushings. I heard of this before.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Joe Lynch found an interesting bolt issue with the front IRS subchassis bolts - turns out that the bolt is a 12mm with some kind of wierd bushing in a 14mm hole. There's no rational explanation for why Ford did this. The solution is to remove the bogus bolt and replace with a 14mm bolt of the correct dimensions.

I'd check it. Any play between the bolt/bushing/frame could make the clunk/knocking sound you're talking about. Visit blueovalnews.com forums and look for a recent post by Joe Lynch entitled "cobra owners, check your front IRS subchassis bolts!"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts